Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Larry uses a bow compass to do his platform edges........

Jeff, the pavement next to your road... Is it not a bit to suburban for Luneside? Looks a bit toyish I think...

Looking forward to seeing some station buildings soon, especially the bargeboards! ;-}

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Mike, that's a really inspirational image!

If ever I needed a picture to encourage me to plod on, that'll do.

Amazing how many things there are to do as you construct a layout. But it IS a lot of fun. Cheers.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Larry uses a bow compass to do his platform edges........

Jeff, the pavement next to your road... Is it not a bit to suburban for Luneside? Looks a bit toyish I think...

Looking forward to seeing some station buildings soon, especially the bargeboards! ;-}

Andy G

Hi Andy.

There was a stretch of "suburban pavement" that ran under the bridge and alongside the cottages (which I've not modelled). It's a bit clinical at the moment as it'll eventually have soil and grass surrounds, some mucky weathered bits and as it stands it's all on its own.

If it looks toyish when I've crapped it up a bit I'll do my usual - rip it out and try something else!

Jeff

EDIT: You'll have a long wait for station buildings. They are at the very end of the list of to-dos. Stone walling HAS to start shortly so I can then grass the Fell. And I'm going to build the large water tower that used to be at KS - it's in the background in the photo in post # 2559.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I stand corrected! I'm sure some suitable weeds growing through the cracks will make it look right.

I did enjoy your wall build on KL1, gives such a feeling of place.

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, that platform edge lining looks much better. If your station buildings are some time distant, I suggest you get your order in for some etched window frames now, they might just arrive in time for the build!!

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

You may like to try 'York Modelmaking' for your station building basics, they can produce a laser cut MDF shell and windows to pattern you can then do the detailing in the normal manner with stone cladding etc. I used them for my windows on Dent but built the station building in my usual perspex shell.

• Like 2

I've spent the last couple of days working on the scenic area control panel. This is now completely wired and will be fixed in place later this evening. I've attached a pic of the wiring - multi-coloured, but there is order in there! 12 soldered joints per switch. I do love DPDT switches!!

attachicon.gifIMG_2644a.jpg

I've also modified the width of the platform edging to something around a scale 6-9". painting an edge that's less than 2mm wide looks silly, so I've widened it a bit. If anyone complains, well, the paint boy got hold of the wrong whitewash brush and had completed the job before the stationmaster spotted what he's done....

attachicon.gifIMG_2645a.jpg

Jeff

looks good Jeff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's a group of pics of the completed scenic area "control panel" (aka turnout switch board). I could have built something half the size (or smaller), but I prefer a chunky board in front of me.

It's had a backing plate fitted to keep the innards from damage and is fully functional. It was nice to run a couple of locos through some turnout combinations just by flicking a switch again.

post-13778-0-64745200-1461786007_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55905800-1461786010_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33515400-1461786014_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-23081800-1461786018_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

One of the next projects is to build the large water tower that was a major feature at KS for many years. I particularly want this on KL2 as it adds some real height in the station area.

The problem is that there are only a limited number of photographs of the structure and, to my knowledge, only Ian Macdonald and the Huddersfield MRC have built it - on their Kirkby Stephen West. I've been in touch with Ian and he tells me they never found any drawings/dimensions, and estimated the size of the thing from photos. I have the photos they used, shown below. So a bit of engineering guesswork is going to be called for here! At least nobody will be able to tell me that it's wrong, unless someone out there has some, yet unseen, evidence I'm not aware of.

I love the first photo - from 1967.

post-13778-0-02471200-1461838273_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-06980800-1461838276_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-24789800-1461838280_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-76551000-1461838284.jpg

Jeff

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Jeff - Mike is right:  Alan Gibson does the Midland panels (4ft x 3ft) £5.30 for 16. 

http://www.alangibsonworkshop.com/Catalogue.pdf

I know this, as I've had my eye on Braithwaite panels (4ft x 4ft) for a pair of water tanks at each end of Stockrington Station.

Scott, that would have been useful if only for the panel size. The fact that it's possible to buy a set of pre-made panels is excellent - cheap, too.

Many thanks.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, There's a CGI version of the water tower at KS on the link below.

http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=28616

This has cross-bracing as shown in the first picture which seem to have disappeared in the next two. I take it the demolition date of 1935 to be 1985?

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Why not go to the Show, you will enjoy it.

Hi Andy. You know me - I'm not a show person.

The next few weeks are too busy anyway - new car, going to dad's, Transit of Mercury....

Enjoy it if you go yourself.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, There's a CGI version of the water tower at KS on the link below.

http://www.uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php?form_fileid=28616

This has cross-bracing as shown in the first picture which seem to have disappeared in the next two. I take it the demolition date of 1935 to be 1985?

That's a useful link, Jonathan. Thanks. Especially as most of the available photos have the tower partially hidden.

Here's the KSWest structure referred to in the simulation. Not sure about the date of demolition, though it was still there in the late 60s.

post-13778-0-12565600-1461858368_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Alan Gibson will be at Expo EM in two weeks time; we're there with The Mill, do you want me to pick you up a set?

Jason, thanks for the offer. I've sent you a PM.

Jeff

Hi Andy. You know me - I'm not a show person.

The next few weeks are too busy anyway - new car, going to dad's, Transit of Mercury....

Enjoy it if you go yourself.

Jeff

What the heck are you doing BUYING A FORD TRANSIT in Mercury Grey?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What the heck are you doing BUYING A FORD TRANSIT in Mercury Grey?

Nah, that's too upmarket for me....

A brand new FSO Moskvitch, complete with optional add-ons like steering wheel and engine!  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nah, that's too upmarket for me....

A brand new FSO Moskvitch, complete with optional add-ons like steering wheel and engine!  :O  :O

Jeff

At least it had a heated rear window so you could keep your hands warm while you were pushing it!

• RMweb Premium

In a refreshingly "politically incorrect" attitude, showing widespread "trainism", I've just enjoyed a wonderful hour in the Bunker.

Blue diesels, green diesels, 0-6-0s and Pacifics rubbed shoulders with each other in a delightful of un-authenticity. And - aside from the die-hard rivet counters (am I allowed to use such derogatory terms, or will I be suspended from the RMweb-party and have MPs assaulting me?!) - who gives a damn?

All the turnouts switched this way and that, locos running everywhere - even in the wrong directions - and a wonderful din and clatter.

To hell with stone walling and the water tower for a while. Maybe I should model the St.Pancras roof over the station area?  :nono:  :nono:

Yes, insane fun. 

Jeff

• Like 6

Jeff, just caught up again. The tank panels are or were 4' by 3', and we used them quite extensively in my time at the Water Authority and were known as Braithwaite panels. The tank at Kirby Stephen looks to be of about 12000 gallons capacity, which would probably be sufficient for that situation.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Premium

Derek, that's given me a useful angle to play with.

Alan Gibson sells Midland plating at scale 4' x 3' and Braithwaite panels at 4' x 4'. The panels on the Kirkby Stephen tank could be either. Assuming they were 4' x 4', the tank was 5 panels x 3 panels x 2 panels, or about 20' x 12' x 8' giving a volume of 1920 ft3.

Since a gallon = 8 pints or 4.54 litres and a litre is 1000cm3, a gallon is 4540cm3.

A foot3 = 30.48cm, 1ft3 = 30.48 x 30.48 x 30.48 = 28300cm3

So the tank volume = 1920ft3 = 1920 x 28300cm3 = 5.44 x 107cm3

Tank volume in gallons = 5.44 x 107/4540 = 11980 gallons.

So, within the error of my estimates, it agrees with your 12000 gallon estimate.

This is important because it allows me to base my model on a 5 x 3 x 2 panel system or 20' x 12' x 8' tank, and so establishes a scale.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

In fact, looking again - and measuring - the last photo in post # 2585, the ratio of maximum tank width to height is 3.3.

That would correspond to 5 tank panels of 4' and 2 vertically of 3' - so your 4' x 3' plate size recollection is correct in this instance.

So the water tank here is around 20' x 12' x 6'.

Jeff

• Like 1