RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Andy and Ben.

I have to admit that my initial impression, after adding the fourth layer of grass, wasn't favourable. I thought it looked a bit messy. But then I realised it'd be messy in that way and that being too tidy would be the unrealistic situation!

Update: I'm a bit scuppered at the moment..... I've got quite a stock of fibres, but suddenly realised that I'm almost out of 6mm beige. These are great for intermediate grass when mixed with different 4mm/6mm greens. So I've ordered some more.

And - I may have knackered the old cleaner that I use to suck up the surplus flock/fibres. It doesn't sound/smell very happy at the moment. Need to have a closer look!

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

Looking the part my man, before you go too far with track ballasting etc. you won't forget to fill those sleeper gaps will you! As for the vacuum surely your not only on your first, I've gone through at least 4. I don't find them (several makes) much good but the fact you can collect the excess pays dividends.

I've not been doing much on Dent - the layout that is but have been doing quite a bit of stock detailing so hopefully the changes will be noticeable when photographed at some point.

• Like 2

Thanks, Andy and Ben.

I have to admit that my initial impression, after adding the fourth layer of grass, wasn't favourable. I thought it looked a bit messy. But then I realised it'd be messy in that way and that being too tidy would be the unrealistic situation!

Update: I'm a bit scuppered at the moment..... I've got quite a stock of fibres, but suddenly realised that I'm almost out of 6mm beige. These are great for intermediate grass when mixed with different 4mm/6mm greens. So I've ordered some more.

And - I may have knackered the old cleaner that I use to suck up the surplus flock/fibres. It doesn't sound/smell very happy at the moment. Need to have a closer look!

Jeff

I've got an old sock for over the end of my Vac and an old Ice Cream Tub for all the surplus Grasses to be mixed together, and I find that actually when re used it comes out better than one type at a time.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've got an old sock for over the end of my Vac and an old Ice Cream Tub for all the surplus Grasses to be mixed together, and I find that actually when re used it comes out better than one type at a time.

I bought a pack of the cheapest-of-the-cheap 15 denier tights from Asda. Cut the foot part of and fix it over the hoover tube when sucking up the excess.

Must have saved me a fortune!

However, the cleaner has been hammered. It's a 15 year old Dyson, well-used and surplus anyway, but it looks like it's heading to that cleaner graveyard in the......landfill!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Looking the part my man, before you go too far with track ballasting etc. you won't forget to fill those sleeper gaps will you! As for the vacuum surely your not only on your first, I've gone through at least 4. I don't find them (several makes) much good but the fact you can collect the excess pays dividends.

I've not been doing much on Dent - the layout that is but have been doing quite a bit of stock detailing so hopefully the changes will be noticeable when photographed at some point.

Cheers Mike. I've not forgotten the gaps - I've got a few spare PCB sleepers to pop in.

I may grime-up the cutting area over the weekend and ballast that section. Then I can grass the rest of the cutting afterwards.

Glad to hear you've had cleaner trouble too!! They don't make 'em like they used to.....!

Having said that, I don't think they were designed to be used almost non-stop, days on end!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I bought a pack of the cheapest-of-the-cheap 15 denier tights from Asda. Cut the foot part of and fix it over the hoover tube when sucking up the excess.

Must have saved me a fortune!

However, the cleaner has been hammered. It's a 15 year old Dyson, well-used and surplus anyway, but it looks like it's heading to that cleaner graveyard in the......landfill!!

Jeff

I use ladies' pop socks, no need to cut anything. Landfill, Jeff? I hope you mean recycling centre.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll be away for a few days, but in the meantime here are some pics showing today's griming work.

I'll have to consider ballasting this area when I get back. Then I'll be able to put some grass on the adjacent hillside.

post-13778-0-40570800-1475431878_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-18355400-1475431881_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-91585700-1475431885_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I hope she'll get better soon Jeff; I trust you pay her at least the National Minimum Wage.

The layout is developing very nicely.

Your comment raised a good laugh with me and my brother!

Unfortunately the cleaner suffered terminal demise and has been retired. A younger, more capable model has taken "her" place!

As usual, your take on things is interesting!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Your comment raised a good laugh with me and my brother!

Unfortunately the cleaner suffered terminal demise and has been retired. A younger, more capable model has taken "her" place!

As usual, your take on things is interesting!!

Jeff

I trust that the new and younger model is not going to distract you from the job in hand Jeff......... :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

• Like 2

That bottom photo highlights the compromises required to fit the layout into the scenery, but at the same time the other photos of the cutting are really nicely done Jeff.  For someone working on his "third" serious layout, and having seen the photos you posted of the first, what an improvement you have made.

(and that isn't to be critical of the work, the track coloured wash is great to see, it makes a big difference to the scene)

James

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Looking in on here from a distance (I'm quite a number of miles from the Bunker for the next few days), it's very noticeable how quiet many of the threads are on the Forum.

Simon posted a pic of his anhydrite wagon, Mike put some glorious pics on Dent, and people hardly bat an eyelid. Not a criticism, it just seems like it was a lot more active a couple of years ago.

Maybe we are missing a catalyst along the lines of good-old, much-remembered Jock?

Normal service will be resumed (probably) at the end of the week.

Jeff

Morning all.

Looking in on here from a distance (I'm quite a number of miles from the Bunker for the next few days), it's very noticeable how quiet many of the threads are on the Forum.

Simon posted a pic of his anhydrite wagon, Mike put some glorious pics on Dent, and people hardly bat an eyelid. Not a criticism, it just seems like it was a lot more active a couple of years ago.

Maybe we are missing a catalyst along the lines of good-old, much-remembered Jock?

Jeff

It's funny, I was thinking the same thing this morning- I check the 'new content' regularly and it now takes hardly any time at all compared to a few months ago.

On the plus side I've built some baseboards!

Edited by sp1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

With my general tendency to post sulks and grumbles it made a change to be able to post something definitely model-related.

I hope you noticed the wall behind it :)

• RMweb Premium

With my general tendency to post sulks and grumbles it made a change to be able to post something definitely model-related.

I hope you noticed the wall behind it :)

Ha- I HAVE to be honest...... I didn't notice the wall (though I've since been and had a look!!)

But I did notice the static grass on the bank behind the wagon. 

If I'd been walling (soon to start up again :-( ) then maybe I'd have spotted it. Of course, I could always blame the low camera angle.....

Nice wagon, btw.

Jeff

Morning all.

Jeff

I have to agree Jeff, Jock certainly kept threads alive, I find with my threads that people who's threads I post on tend to reciprocate, so almost a tit for tat, but a lot of info still comes in from all sorts of people who don't have their own live Threads.

Yours is coming on well and will be a Masterpiece.

• RMweb Premium

Have I missed something with Jock?

Morning Lee.

Sad to say, Jock passed away at the start of May.

A lovely guy and great contributor on here. He is certainly missed.

Jeff

Morning Lee.

Sad to say, Jock passed away at the start of May.

A lovely guy and great contributor on here. He is certainly missed.

Jeff

That's very sad. My heart just literally dropped at that.

Obviously I've been away for a while and missed that sad news.

Cheers Jeff

Have I missed something with Jock? 

See obituaries and Jocks Cancer Ward threads.

He really is missed, but his Son said at the Funeral that he would complete a Layout named Hurlford 67B on behalf of his Dad and put it on here, so look out for that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Have you put any thought into how you'll operate KL?

Will it be round and roundy, with whatever takes your fancy? A succession of "typical" S&C trains? Or maybe to some form of timetable?

Just wondering..........

Peter, that is a very good question.....

As I've probably said before, I'm not especially interested in the operational aspects of railways, and I'm not that bothered about the loco details either. What I do enjoy is designing the layout, solving problems and then building it. The appearance of the end product matters more than the individual players. I like the "look" of certain locos - conveniently, several of them were S&C stalwarts, and my main aim is to create a place for them to run.

So timings, timetables, schedules etc don't bother me too much.

Thanks to Jason, I've developed a liking for shunting, so I envisage the main lines being occupied with a couple of trains (probably freight) while I play in the goods yard.

We'll see how things evolve. Must admit, I'm tempted to build a shunting plank once KL is up-and-running.

Back home tomorrow. Going to do some cork surgery to allow for a few ballast shoulders....

Jeff

• Like 3