Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

That is the problem with me I don't get to use the laptop at home so I use the mobile but it's hard trying to type something and the phone corrects it. But when I get to work I use the computer there.

Yep, using a phone is a pain in the ar*e!

I'll keep looking on here - there's a couple of other things I keep an eye on - but posting will have to wait until I've got home and done some more work on the layout.

It can be easy to get bored with a project. Being away from it makes you realise how much fun the hobby really is.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update:

I'm back home and I've started working on the grass bank area to the rear of the goods area. It's had its base coat of flock - well, part of it has - and I'll start applying static grass tomorrow.

Should be able to post some pics.

Jeff

• Like 3

I've been away from here for quite a while and I've come back to a monster.

The fell is simply jaw-dropping. 

It really makes me want to pack my job in and go live in the garage for the next 6 months just trying to emulate even just a quarter of what you've achieved here.

Am

So

Impressed!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I said I'd post some pics of what I've been up to over the last 24 hours.

Here's a section of the grassy bank to the rear of the goods yard.

Successive pictures show: 

1) The bank with its base fine turf coating. This is a greener mix than on the Fell, was applied last night and, given 12 hours drying, has been brushed off and excess hoovered up.

post-13778-0-19730000-1474019416_thumb.jpg

2) A slightly watered-down PVA mix (about 90 PVA: 10 water) spread onto the flock surface.

post-13778-0-66373800-1474019420_thumb.jpg

3), 4) and 5)  The base covering of 2mm static grass. This is Noch meadow grass along with 2mm autumn colour and some 1mm winter colour fibre. A topping of 4mm and 6mm fibres will go on later...

post-13778-0-09158800-1474019425_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-47290200-1474019432_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-84264200-1474019435_thumb.jpg

6)  and 7) The currently removable section, same treatment but done 2 hours ago. The grass is lightening as it dries.

post-13778-0-76558800-1474019439_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-21534900-1474019444_thumb.jpg

Hope this is of interest. I'll allow 9-10 hours drying/setting and start putting some longer grass on top of the base this evening.

Jeff

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Lee.

The grass bank adjacent to the sidings was kept in very good order. I'll stick mainly to grasses, but I've got a few small shrubs to add-in. I'm also going to use "modeller's licence" and plant a small number of trees on the non-railway side of the boundary wall. 

post-13778-0-72893400-1474039445_thumb.jpg

As for the wall that crosses the road. What you see is only part of the structure. Have a look at the 1912 plan, above, and you'll see that the wall sections off the goods area from the cattle dock/exit road side of the station. The wall will have to be a bit longer, but I've so far only built the part that's on the removable section.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

Cracking work jeff,really coming along now!

Its giving me the inspiration i need to get back up into the loft & work on my own layout,although ive promised the missus id decorate the consevatory first before i start "playing with trains again" lol

Cheers

Ben

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cracking work jeff,really coming along now!

Its giving me the inspiration i need to get back up into the loft & work on my own layout,although ive promised the missus id decorate the consevatory first before i start "playing with trains again" lol

Cheers

Ben

Evening Ben.

You need to tell SWMBO that you need to give the decorating a bit of thought. A few evening's thought. In the meantime, you can relax and do some layout work while doing your "thinking"!!

I've spent a couple of hours this evening out in the Bunker - I've just come in. The grass bank has now received its second layer of fibres - 4mm and 6mm. It'll all be dry by tomorrow morning, so a third layer will then go on. I'll post some pics when I've done that.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's the situation after an additional topping of 6mm and 12mm fibres have been added.

At a later stage, some small shrubby bushes and a few sapling trees will be added in.

post-13778-0-00516400-1474109673_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-59987700-1474109677_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95396000-1474109681_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-62392200-1474109686_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A change of tack this afternoon while the PVA dries under the static grass (which may take a day or more, given the number of layers I've put on).

Those who've followed this thread will know that I'm not making a literal copy of the Kirkby Stephen prototype. I am, however, using the station area to freelance KL2, with strong emphasis on what's at KS. Accordingly, I've modified the area in front of the goods yard to include a low angled grass bank, rather than the flatter area I'd already "skeletoned".

On the photo, below, the bank can be seen to the right of the home signal, opposite the goods shed. My bank will be shallower, as a higher bank would impede access at the front of the yard.

post-13778-0-16652000-1474134453_thumb.jpg

The area has been built up using mod-roc and given a Plaster of Paris coating - so it's already rock-hard. After a top coating of filler, tomorrow, it'll be ready for flock/static grass.

Photos when appropriate.

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Jeff - what sort of thickness do you think you end up with by the time you have covered the mod roc with plaster? 10mm?

Scott

10mm is a good estimate, Scott

Certainly thick enough with the PofP, given its hardness.

Have fun!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've been very busy with an astrophotography-based project for the last few days, although some progress has been made in the Bunker.

A bit more static grass has been added and I'm in the middle of modifying the hillside on the approach to the goods yard from the underbridge. I took some photos earlier, but the white plaster made it look like a snowstorm was underway. I'll wait until I've got more plaster down and a bit of brown paint -then I'll show some pics and explain the rationale...

Jeff

• Like 3

Once again your modelling determination is amazing it's a massive project for just one person and must at times seem over whelming but now the grass is growing there is light at the end of the tunnel. As for the walls well you started it  :jester: have you any idea how long they take to build in real life !!!! I reckon you got it easy ....... :boast:

Fantastic Jeff keep up the amazing work  :good:  :good:

Looking stunning Jeff, but what will you do with the very small area between the Track and the Backscene in the last pic? it looks (at least from the pics) that it's even to narrow for any Bushes, maybe there's just enough room for a Fence or Wall Maybe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking stunning Jeff, but what will you do with the very small area between the Track and the Backscene in the last pic? it looks (at least from the pics) that it's even to narrow for any Bushes, maybe there's just enough room for a Fence or Wall Maybe.

A narrow little space like that at the base of the fells... must be the right spot for the frozen CO2 fog generator... no need for bushes or a fence then. Just the shadows of the trains as they appear out of the mist.

:jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your positive comments!

I HAVE done about 5 hours grassing-work over the last two days, but nothing that's photogenic!!

I'll post some pics as soon as there's something worth looking at!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I said I'd post some pics. Well, things are still ongoing, but here's one of the back end of the cutting - taken just as it reaches the fiddle yard.

post-13778-0-65639000-1475081891_thumb.jpg

It's quite dim round here (lighting will be installed eventually), and this was taken using my phone - it has a wider angle than the DSLR. Colours and lighting are a bit iffy, but it gives the idea. There are 4 layers of static grass on here, above a flock base: 2.5/1mm, 4/6mm, 6mm, 6mm lighter colours. The aim was to give a slightly chaotic, controlled-weedy look.

Jeff

Edit: Here's the same view, from February, "au naturelle"....

post-13778-0-03429000-1475082248_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 17