Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I had a £1 at 1000/1 that Jeff was going continental HO and making it all Alpine.

Wouldn't have need to change the gauge then..........

At least there'll be no catenary, Peter!

​If you really want a change why not try O gauge ,EM is the true scale though once you been converted its okay the pain will ease and the wallet will be lighter.

DON'T tempt me....

.... I'm feeling a little "fragile" at the moment.

Who knows what I might do?!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

OK, for what it's worth - here are some more pics.

They're really to show the addition of the lie-by embankment, but may be the last pics of the track in its 00 guise.

I'm away for a while now - heading "south" - but I'll try to post-in using my phone.

post-13778-0-18187100-1477062140_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-47073200-1477062145_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-46880900-1477062148_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-47195900-1477062152_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 15

Hi Jeff.

You can't take your eye of this topic for a minute or else it's all change, I'll have to try and stop those little one or two day breaks away that I have.

I can sympathise with what you are going through as I have done the same on a couple of occasions, I remember talking to Jason about this at Hull a couple of years back as to why I never did. The first time was when I first started back in 1980ish and I wanted to build everything from kits or scratch but I let my old man talk me out of it, he only wanted a big layout to run his stock on and also tried to get me to model the mid 30s. :nono:  I wasn't having that though. I then thought about it really seriously again around 2002/3 and had a few discussions at the Doncaster show about converting to EM, I was well paid then and still just short of 50 years old, so plenty of time and money, then I changed jobs and moved house and that was that until I retired here 7 years later with those two critical elements.

As Hemyock and Tiverton Junction will be two separate layouts joined by a cassette I did consider it again for the former but abandoned that idea when I realised I would need two of everything for that line.

So I didn't do it as time and money would stop me from ever completing what I want, so how does that help you? Well, if I was in your shoes I would because I think you can tell it is one of those things that has and still does play on my mind and I wish I had told my old man not to interfere in my layout just as I didn't in his. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though isn't it.

All the best in your decision mate and I look forward to whatever it is you decide as KL will be great either way, the scenics will always make it special and that is why I spend so much time on mine as it is more important than the track to me as life is.

Jim

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Jim, great post.

Here's my rationale for GOING EM - which I AM going to do....

I enjoy layout building - much more so than running trains.

I want what I build to look as true to the original as I can make it WITHIN MY LIMITED MODELLING SKILLS. So no chance of P4!

I enjoy tracklaying, faultfinding, fine-tuning - so don't mind replacing what I've already done.

The track replacement of the SCENIC section is a 2 week job at most. That's a minute amount of time compared to other aspects of the layout build to date (2 weeks at 6 hours/day, or around 90 hours. compare with at least 150-200 hours for walling. and tracklaying is much less tedious!!)

I can buy high quality EM track and turnouts from Marcway - so no track-building needed. That's a project for another layout.

I'm advised that wagons/coaches are easy to re-wheel.

My only sticking point is loco re-wheeling, but it's another skill to learn, so more fun and challenge.

NO SCENIC mods needed for replacing the existing track with EM - I've checked.

If it's going to be done, it's NOW. Yes, it should really have been October 15 when I started laying the track, but que sera.....

AND FINALLY - and maybe the most important. AND you mentioned it in your post - I deep down want to do this and don't want to regret not having made the change.

Downsides:  It'll take ages to re-wheel locos instead of a ready fleet AND the cost.

Neither of these bothers me as long as I can get a couple of locos going, as it'll be another year or so of work on the scenics before any serious train running can start.

IN SHORT, the conversion to EM will go ahead. I'll order the first batches of track when I get back from holiday.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jeff

• Like 9

Logged in tonight to find the Kirkby Luneside site had gone into overdrive following the decision to convert to EM.

I've spent a while reading todays posts and it's obvious you've given it a lot of thought. You're up for the challenge, and you'd definitely regret it if you didn't make the changeover now.

If I ever built another (small) 00 layout I've thought about making it EM so I'll be interested to see how you progress with KL2... especially when it come to re-wheeling the locos. Of course you could alter your time frame to 1968-73ish then you'd only have diesels to convert. :)

Good luck Jeff...

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Logged in tonight to find the Kirkby Luneside site had gone into overdrive following the decision to convert to EM.I've spent a while reading todays posts and it's obvious you've given it a lot of thought. You're up for the challenge, and you'd definitely regret it if you didn't make the changeover now.If I ever built another (small) 00 layout I've thought about making it EM so I'll be interested to see how you progress with KL2... especially when it come to re-wheeling the locos. Of course you could alter your time frame to 1968-73ish then you'd only have diesels to convert. :)Good luck Jeff...RegardsAlan

Hi Alan.

Not a bad idea, but I'd be running green diesels as I prefer them to blue.

I suspect the first EMd locos on KL2 are going to be diesels. Only problem with going into the late 60s is that most S&C goods facilities had closed/were closing.

However, until steam locos are converted I can play along with the fiction !!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You can't turn your back for a minute around here!

So I'll just leave this here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115518-jinty-in-o-gauge/

You're a bad lad, Kev!

And the second today to try to entice me towards O gauge.

If only I had the space for KL2 AND an O gauge layout. Greedy? Nah!!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

The thing is Jeff, we will all know that dry stone walling is OO, not EM.  But I'm reliably informed if you weather it well, and don't place any EM walling next to it, no one will be able to spot the difference...

Scott

Like others I have to admire your determination Jeff ..that's one BIG decision you've made and I wish you all the best ....your a brave man ..

Have you considered the sheep though ....there's a big difference between 00 and EM sheep and I have not seen any guidelines about re-hoofing to the new gauge .....but it's the paper work  that your going to encounter as under European Common Agricultural Policy each and every animal is going to have to be re-registered in the new gauge so that you qualify for the European yearly payment .....and that's going to make re-wheeling all the locomotives look like child' :jester:  :jester:  :jester: s play 

Green diesels... sounds like you need a slw's 24, rtr in EM lol

I saw that at the Great Electric Train Show and it looks and SOUNDS  a beauty, now let me check MY Bank Balance.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

G'day all.

Messages will be brief as I'm now having to use the dreaded mobile to post.

Thanks for the humorous wall and sheep comments, and the SLW reference. Interesting....

Keep posting and I'll keep looking in!

Jeff

• Like 2

Get one in Andy they are brilliant models ....... you got the money after the Sale of Pencarne ....JUST DO IT NOW

I don't think I can justify the cost Martin, and they didn't run down my way I don't think, I do however have the Bachmann Sound fitted one in Green.

You're a bad lad, Kev!

And the second today to try to entice me towards O gauge.

If only I had the space for KL2 AND an O gauge layout. Greedy? Nah!!!

Jeff

Surely you've been tempted by the Dapol O gauge 08? Even I've got one on order!.... No idea what I'm going to do with it, probably a couple of sidings on a plank. I realised that at about £170 this will probably be my only chance to own an O gauge loco.

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Surely you've been tempted by the Dapol O gauge 08? Even I've got one on order!.... No idea what I'm going to do with it, probably a couple of sidings on a plank. I realised that at about £170 this will probably be my only chance to own an O gauge loco.

Cheers

Alan

It is a nice model, but O gauge isn't something I'd consider without the required space to really do it justice.

I must admit that I'm impressed with the SLW class 24s. Now, if I could justify a green class 24 running on the S&C.....

Jeff

• Like 1

It is a nice model, but O gauge isn't something I'd consider without the required space to really do it justice.

I must admit that I'm impressed with the SLW class 24s. Now, if I could justify a green class 24 running on the S&C.....

Jeff

I'll keep a lookout for photos of a 24.

So far the best I can do is a blue one at Hellifield in 1971.... and a green one - D5097 climbing towards Ribblehead in November 1969.

The chances are they must have turned up on the line before 1969?

Alan

Jeff, I decided on EM back in the late 1950's and have never, for one minute, regretted that decision. It certainly isn't and never has been easy or straight forward, and there may be off the shelf track but you will find little niggles on the way. However, having seen what you are capable of, I have no concerns whatsoever you will get there.

Be sure to join the EM Gauge Society. They are a great bunch, very helpful and approachable, and they produce a wonderful range of information, as to how to do things, like converting locos from 00 to EM. I have been a member for 50 years, just wonder where all those years went.

Derek

• Like 4

Jeff

You have a Garden don't you? over the Pond, through the Rockery, alongside the Path, BLT in the OTHER Shed, LOADS OF ROOM.