Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

I don't want to say signalmen are highly trained monkeys but.....

• RMweb Gold

Fairly well known story I've always thought although I haven't seen anything about it for a good many years.  The Signalman reportedly had lost his legs in accident and duly trained the baboon to operate the levers - working under his direction of course.  There was a picture of the monkey and signalman, plus a bit about it, published in something (was it 'Railway Magazine'?) many years ago hence teh story reached quitea  wide railway orientated audience plus I've an idea it has been mentioned in at least one book.

Shame that link isn't in English as it could well not be entirely accurate following translation to American and it certainly differs in detail from the one I recall from years ago.

• RMweb Gold

'Bell codes?'

'You 'um it, son, I'll tap 'em out'...

True story - My mate once got caught working slack (not using call attention), when asked by the AM why he said "It wasn't me, it was the cat, I can get the bu gger to tap out 3 and all the 2s (3-2-2-2) but I can't get it to use call attention" - the boss thought it so funny he only verbally b*ll*cked him (that time)

Fairly well known story I've always thought although I haven't seen anything about it for a good many years.

Well, there's always someone who hasn't heard an old story - that would be me on this occasion - and I think it's great! Thanks for highlighting this.

Archived