Bow Locks (was A bit on the side)

Dagworth

• RMweb Premium

The Limehouse Cut does not have a towpath so a floating pontoon has been installed for walkers and cyclists.

Well, not quite. The pontoon is only to allow walkers to get under the A12. There is a towpath along the rest of the entire Cut to Limehouse, but when the A12 was built it obliterated the original towpath underneath it. The pontoon basically restored that, as a measure to avoid pedestrians having to go up and cross the busy A12 to continue their journey.

A similar pontoon was constructed, with a bridge, further back under the Bow roundabout and flyover in 2011/12, just in time for the Olympics. Again, the original towpath had been obliterated by the roundabout's construction and until the pontoon was opened, walkers (including myself at the time) had to cross the busy-ish feed roads on the roundabout to continue our walks.

• RMweb Gold

Getting back to the layout... :)

This is the current position, still some work to do with detailing and the bridge needs the road surface doing but getting closer. The layout now has a lighting rig which makes it look a bit more professional. The front of the fiddle yard is now painted something akin to NSE blue. Still lots to do but I feel confident that it will be ready for its debut in six weeks.

post-6674-0-58607700-1473969824_thumb.jpg

Andi

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

First day off in nearly four weeks, last day off before the debut show so I wanted to prepare a few more wagons for service on the layout when this happened.

post-6674-0-30905600-1477236819_thumb.jpg

She never normally settles on me. 

Show cancelled, I'm stuck under a cat ;)

Andi

edit, don't seem to be able to rotate the photo, it's the right way up on my laptop but turns when I upload it here

• RMweb Gold

The cat moved (eventually, if you have a cat like her you will understand that you don't move her when she deigns to grace you with her presence) and I was able to prep another 17 wagons...

Show back on :)

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Bow Locks is ready for its public debut tomorrow :)

Cheltenham Model Railway exhibition, St Margaret's Hall, Coniston Road, Hatherley, Cheltenham, GL51 3NU

Saturday 28th 10am-5pm

Sunday 29th 10am-4:30pm

http://cheltmodrail.org.uk/

post-6674-0-51022200-1477687835_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-79111300-1477687836_thumb.jpg

Say hello if you are at the show please.

Andi

• RMweb Premium

Had a wonderful weekend driving trains on Bow Locks. Nice to meet Kevin at long last and all the other RMwebbers who said hello.

Mind you, not sure if I will be allowed to play again. About five minuets before the end of the the show, I was taking some of my stuff to my car, when I tripped on a stock box. The contents of which went all over the place as I crashed into the layout almost knocking it over had it not been for the two visitors who caught it. All stock derailed/knocked over, cars etc rolled of the bridge, with extensive damaged done to the borrowed lorry (sorry Rich). What a pillock.

When I got home I dropped one of my stock boxes as I was trying to stop the stupid Cocker Spaniel escaping out the front door. I have managed to break all the coaches of my 307 EMU, losing one bogie in the gap between  the concrete steps leading up to the front door. In trying to recover it I bashed my head on the post box and now have a cut scalp. What a pillock.

Edit, forgot the portacabin was damaged when fell on the layout. What a pillock

Had a wonderful weekend driving trains on Bow Locks. Nice to meet Kevin at long last and all the other RMwebbers who said hello.

Mind you, not sure if I will be allowed to play again. About five minuets before the end of the the show, I was taking some of my stuff to my car, when I tripped on a stock box. The contents of which went all over the place as I crashed into the layout almost knocking it over had it not been for the two visitors who caught it. All stock derailed/knocked over, cars etc rolled of the bridge, with extensive damaged done to the borrowed lorry (sorry Rich). What a pillock.

When I got home I dropped one of my stock boxes as I was trying to stop the stupid Cocker Spaniel escaping out the front door. I have managed to break all the coaches of my 307 EMU, losing one bogie in the gap between  the concrete steps leading up to the front door. In trying to recover it I bashed my head on the post box and now have a cut scalp. What a pillock.

Edit, forgot the portacabin was damaged when fell on the layout. What a pillock

Clive, Just read this to Dee, She said it's because were all OLD MEN and it's what happens when you get OLD, hahhah really sorry to hear about the Lorry and loss of a Bogie, Oh and about your HEAD as well mate.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks so much to Clive for his operating all weekend, sorry for making you drive trains using a calculator (Lenz LH100...)

The layout itself performed pretty much faultlessly, only a brief problem with a sticky point motor needing a touch of lubrication. Some of my couplings need revisiting to make them behave better, but easily sorted.

In general the layout seemed very well received and it made for a very pleasant and stress-free weekend.
With reference to Clive's tumble at the end I'm glad to say that there is no permanent damage to the layout, the portakabin is repaired and back to how it was, the punters are re-glued to the platform (along with two others that I knocked off while doing so) and all is well. Clive, you have a permanent invite to come and drive trains on it. Hope the EMU (and your head!) is ok.

One of my friends took some really nice photos of the layout which I have taken the liberty of "borrowing"

post-6674-0-92141800-1477870389_thumb.jpgpost-6674-0-31338200-1477870391_thumb.jpgpost-6674-0-84518000-1477870392_thumb.jpgpost-6674-0-76813300-1477870394_thumb.jpgpost-6674-0-45148000-1477870396_thumb.jpg

Hoping we will get some more invites ...

Andi

post-6674-0-92141800-1477870389_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-31338200-1477870391_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-84518000-1477870392_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-76813300-1477870394_thumb.jpg

post-6674-0-45148000-1477870396_thumb.jpg

Archived