Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

1021 proved a harder nut to crack. A Hornby ringfield model, it stopped working completely a few weeks ago and today was the first chance I've had to give it a once-over.

It still wouldn't go at all on DCC, so I disconnected the decoder and found that it would run, albeit not well at slow speed, on DC. That led me to think that the decoder was Donalded, so I replaced it and lubricated the gears and bearings.

It moved now on DCC but still not too well at low speeds, so I ran it for a while on the rolling road. That was a bit better.

However, the weak link on these locos is the slidebar arrangement, which doesn't hold the crosshead very securely, and the crosshead on one side was a bit floppy. I bent the slidebars gently to improve their alignment, which seem to have helped, but I'll need to keep a close eye on the loco in service. A new cylinder block and slidebar assembly might be on the cards.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

On 28/05/2023 at 08:40, St Enodoc said:

1021 proved a harder nut to crack. A Hornby ringfield model, it stopped working completely a few weeks ago and today was the first chance I've had to give it a once-over.

It still wouldn't go at all on DCC, so I disconnected the decoder and found that it would run, albeit not well at slow speed, on DC. That led me to think that the decoder was Donalded, so I replaced it and lubricated the gears and bearings.

It moved now on DCC but still not too well at low speeds, so I ran it for a while on the rolling road. That was a bit better.

However, the weak link on these locos is the slidebar arrangement, which doesn't hold the crosshead very securely, and the crosshead on one side was a bit floppy. I bent the slidebars gently to improve their alignment, which seem to have helped, but I'll need to keep a close eye on the loco in service. A new cylinder block and slidebar assembly might be on the cards.

Tell me about it!

My County is sitting on a shelf looking at me sadly with its gear all over the place!

I think I will leave it be for the moment and see how you get on sorting yours?

Cheers, Paul. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 26/05/2023 at 04:54, John Besley said:

DET ?

Mike hasn't broken cover on this but he has confirmed to me, separately, that it stands for Drive End Trailer, in other words what later became a DTS.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations on reaching this point in the layout build, it must be be satisfying to see everything turnout as planned.

Also congratulations to young Daisy, who shares her birthday with our son Chris (29).

We're off to the South Devon Railway for the day.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

all 119 points

I thought my 41 was a lot.  119 is a lot of Cobalts too.

Paul.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A milestone indeed!

It took me around ten years to complete a similar number of points, crossings, single and double slips for my own layout.

I hope that they all work okay.

Mine took a lot of "bedding in" but they were built in a more "rustic" style following scribbles lines on the baseboard surface!

Ian T

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

So you missed the first pun, then ;)

No but I didn't think it was as good as the second and there was no point commenting on both.

• Round of applause 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

11 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

So you missed the first pun, then ;)

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No but I didn't think it was as good as the second and there was no point commenting on both.

That must make it a tie...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

@St Enodoc  A quick question, if I may?

I understand that the emphasis of Mid-Cornwall lines is on operation, and you regularly have running sessions with several people working together.  But in between these, how much of the layout and operating sequence can be run by just yourself from a single command station... or do you walk all round the layout to work the various control panels in turn?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Not much free time today but still enough to set out the fettled/modified handpoint B.

20230609001PTHPBaftercurvingturnoutroad.JPG.f5668e93f11e6529d7c0b4b37e81da12.JPG

A much better fit.

After that I sprayed it and, while it was drying, set out handpoints G, I and K in their final positions, ready to drill the tiebar holes.

20230609002PTHPGIandKfinallocation.JPG.92f32bc23a9d0eafabfdab00f1ec63bb.JPG

All set now to lay these three points and the plain track for the remaining six carriage sidings. I should have just enough new SMP track for this...

My her indoors says 'Well done!"

..so do I!

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Apropos of nothing in particular, I've just seen some photos on Hatton's website of the latest RTR 00 open wagons, which everybody seems to be raving about.

I have to say that, if I were paying that price, I'd expect the wheels and axles to be blackened...

• Like 7
  • Agree 5