Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

19 hours ago, 1466 said:

That brings back memories of 220 squadron Shackletons climbing out of St. Mawgan over Cornish beaches  in the 1960s . 4 Rolls Royce Griffons labouring under load  with an almost imperceptible rate of climb . I believe they used a rocket or jet assisted take off to lift enough fuel for a 10 or 12 hour sortie . Heroes all .

The Mk3 Shacks (with the tricycle/not tailwheel undercarriage) had a Viper turbojet installed in the rear of each of the outer Griffon nacelles.  Fine as long as BOTH worked, nasty yaw if one went out!

- Scott

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

What a fabulous find this is!

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/50-pictures-show-what-cornish-4656452

Lots of great pictures that will be a huge help when I get round to modelling Pentowan beach.

You’ll have to sharpen those small paint brushes for painting all the bikinis.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, ian said:

Whatever you do, don't forget the donkey!

That last picture of Looe is a candidate for " Abandoned rails in the road"; I remember them still being there when I was a kid - and Small Prairies as the motive power.

John Isherwood.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The weather today was benign again, so I gapped and sprayed hand points H and J before lunch and let them dry. This afternoon I laid them and also 45A points, an old B6L salvaged from the old St Enodoc layout.

1203199837_20230331002PT45AHandJpointslaid.JPG.127def1e598de718e9b47edd13182e58.JPG

In its previous location, 45A had no tails on the straight road after the crossing, so I've laid some copperclad sleepers to support some short lengths of rail that will connect it to 45B points.

I also extended the track in Platform 1 a bit, so that I'll have plenty to play with when adjusting the position of 45B.

Tomorrow we have our monthly BRMA meeting, hosted by Charles @RudderC, which means I won't get back to these until Sunday. If all goes well then, I hope to lay 45B points and the rest of the track for Platform 1, the Loop and possibly Carriage Siding 9.

What lovely , sinuous and flowing trackwork  . I was instantly taken back to the late Ken Payne’s Tyling inspirational layout - 1957 !

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 1466 said:

What lovely , sinuous and flowing trackwork  . I was instantly taken back to the late Ken Payne’s Tyling inspirational layout - 1957 !

Crikey, that's an unexpected compliment!

Tyling and its later companion Castle Combe was one of my favourite layouts in the RM when I was growing up, so there must be some subconscious influence going on.

Anyway, curved track's much easier to lay than straight - just getting those four points along the loop in line was hard work.

Thanks.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 14/02/2023 at 20:31, St Enodoc said:

I'm not saying I'm getting ahead of myself but I've ordered enough buffer stops from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies to complete the whole of Pentowan...

13 buffer stop kits have now arrived from Bonnie Scotland. Hours of fun ahead.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

13 buffer stop kits have now arrived from Bonnie Scotland. Hours of fun ahead.

just to have a reason not to build the Shackleton...  Only jesting!

Pointwork looks good!

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

This here Shackleton, does it still exist? 

To prove it I think Sainty needs to show laid out on Pentowan so we know it is up to date...not just the box but the contents.

If he leaves it much longer it will have to be replaced by a Nimrod.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

This here Shackleton, does it still exist? 

To prove it I think Sainty needs to show laid out on Pentowan so we know it is up to date...not just the box but the contents.

It does exist. During his recent visit, Barry was shown where it is stored. Not quite hidden in plain sight but not far off...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 16Brunel said:

If 5 exclamation marks are the sure sign of an insane mind, what do 5 question marks mean?????

The sign of an inquiring mind of course!!!!!

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3