Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

Hope your return flight is uneventful. Finally have my wife back in the UK after 2 DAYS of delays from Brisbane due to weather. Manda should have arrived Saturday UK, eventually got here Monday. Very poor, no, non existent, customer service from Qatar despite forking out for Business class.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

On 19/12/2023 at 16:51, St Enodoc said:

The Edinburgh weather was generally, and typically, dreich and cold so not really conducive to outdoor sightseeing.

The Scots say that there's no such thing as bad weather, merely wrong clothes.  If you waited for good weather, nothing would get done. My wife and one of her cousins went to see an open air performance of Pride and Prejudice in Aberdeen in the pouring rain, suitably attired.  The players were soaked through and through, but no one batted an eye.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2023 at 09:27, St Enodoc said:

The last real work for the year was to relocate the temporary First-Come-FIrst-Served-Tokenless-Block panel for the St Enodoc - Treloggan Junction section to Pentowan, pending eventual installation in the signal box. That involved running a nine-way cable between the two locations and rearranging the 12V dc power supply accordingly. I'd like to get the Polperran - Treloggan Junction FCFSTB equipment set up before the next running session too, if possible. We shall see.

That brings us nicely, with less than four hours left in 2023, to the ninth annual review of progress on the Mid-Cornwall Lines.

After last year's over-ambitious targets, most of which I failed dismally to reach, this year's goals were more modest and, consequently, I'm pleased to say that I achieved nearly all of them.

All the track at Pentowan was laid, motored, wired and operational by September. That was the biggest job and completion was helped by my retirement from work at the end of July. I didn't do much layout work after that but I added some temporary coaches to the layout so that we can operate the full sequence. I also built and installed the lazy susan for turning locos and fitted couplers to some more wagons now that we will be running three more (branch) freight trains.

My post-retirement holiday took up most of the last quarter of the year, both in planning and implementation. It really was a great trip and well worth the effort involved.

The only goal I didn't achieve at all was to add more buildings to the layout but that was definitely secondary to operational matters.

Overall, then, I achieved everything needed for the full operating sequence, which was the primary objective.

Looking ahead, in 2024 I hope to:

- install the FCFSTB system between Treloggan Junction and Polperran, as above

- add uncouplers at Pentowan

- ballast all the remaining scenic track

- build and install Pentowan lever frame, once available

- build and install Pentowan hand point and uncoupler control panel

- build and install  Pentowan and Treloggan Junction signals

- add platforms and other railway-related infrastructure

I think that will fill the year easily, after which I can finally turn my attention to non-railway infrastructure and landscaping (did somebody say backscenes?).

In closing, then, Veronica and I wish you all a healthy, peaceful and prosperous New Year when it comes, wherever you may be.

Build and install the Sh******** ?  🫣

And a very happy new year to you too!  Sydney put up a very good firework display again.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Chamby said:

Build and install the Sh******** ?  🫣

And a very happy new year to you too!  Sydney put up a very good firework display again.

Yes, it was a very good show. My favourite is always the waterfall/curtain of fire from the deck of the Harbour Bridge.

What you might not have seen was the closing part of the ABC TV coverage - a fine arrangement of Auld Lang Syne, played by members of the Australian Chamber Orchestra with mezzo-soprano Jess Hitchcock, who sang two verses beautifully.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Rather than start to build the PP-TL FCFSTB system, I decided that it would be prudent to do a dry run on the new sequence, to see whether there are any howlers or show-stoppers in it, so I started that today. Being on my own I took various short cuts, not least a good deal of hand shunting, and so got through about 18 trains in just over an hour. This is actually fairly typical of the pace or rhythm during a real running session, which was encouraging.

Apart from a few typos in the sequence, the main challenges were confirming where trains go when not actually moving on the layout - for example the Chapel Sidings and Spurs at Porthmellyn Road, and the carriage sidings at Pentowan - to make sure that trains aren't blocking each other in.

I haven't found any major issues (yet) so I'll carry on with the dry run over the coming days (but not tomorrow - as usual, a group of eight of us will be at the opening day of the Sydney Test).

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

No rain at the SCG yesterday at all so we enjoyed a full day of entertaining cricket, although we were all rather bemused by Australia's tactics in the final session. A couple of yorkers rather than incessant short balls (today's paper said something like 93%) would probably have ended the Pakistan innings long before the 10th wicket partnership had reached 86 and the total reached 313. Very strange.

Back at home today I continued the new sequence dry run. Again, a number of adjustments but no howlers so far and I've reached train 91 out of about 300, which is good.

Tomorrow afternoon Charles @RudderC is coming round, as is a new visitor to Mid-Cornwall, who is keen to join the operating team. We'll give him some hands-on familiarisation so that he'll be ready for our first proper session of the year in three Saturdays' time.

• Like 15

On 01/01/2024 at 20:54, St Enodoc said:

What you might not have seen was the closing part of the ABC TV coverage - a fine arrangement of Auld Lang Syne, played by members of the Australian Chamber Orchestra with mezzo-soprano Jess Hitchcock, who sang two verses beautifully.

Thx for sharing this.

Quite some time since we've been able to get to an ACO concert here and thanks to the prompt I've found one in Melbourne around mid-year that's right up our street.

ACO pre COVID did annual European Tours so if they resume, for anyone who gets the chance it's something worth catching, promise. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Here's a sneak peek at a forthcoming mini-project for the Mid-Cornwall Lines.

idl2.jpg.58f1fb111b874dc239388d6d81648c44.jpg

The Q-train...

Can you guess what it is yet?

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, ian said:

The Pentowan seaside 'toy; railway?

Give that man a coconut.

My friend @martink is going to put it all together for me so that I can install it, in due course, on the sea front. Here it is under development:

[updated video in later post]

I want to try to capture some of the feel of this line, which I visited in about 1966:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/2942389897

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DpAAAOSwuTRcgjgv/s-l1600.jpg.

Now, the line will need a name. Pentowan Miniature Railway sounds a bit bland. However, the real Newquay has its Little Western Railway, which was also the name of Jim Russell's iconic layout in one of the first issues of Railway Modeller that I read, in 1962. So, the Little Western Railway it shall be, unless one of you folks comes up with a better idea.

Edited by St Enodoc
updated video in later post
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2