Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

'Bishop Street'

georgeT

Not a good idea in my honest opinion, the way you and I change our minds it will restrict you to much. There are a lot of areas in the South that were NOT electrified mate.

I'm out all day today but well have a chat tonight.

Hello Bud,

Yes l know you are spot on we are both like a butterfly in the garden flirting from flower to flower and not staying too long on any of them, hahaha, but l have always liked the third rail, but it all seemed too much work to do at that time, but l have a few ideas on how to do this ? l have taken my time with BS and can say l am enjoying this project at the moment, 

george

Hello Bud,

Yes l know you are spot on we are both like a butterfly in the garden flirting from flower to flower and not staying too long on any of them, hahaha, but l have always liked the third rail, but it all seemed too much work to do at that time, but l have a few ideas on how to do this ? l have taken my time with BS and can say l am enjoying this project at the moment, 

george

That's a worrying statement Mate. :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

Hi George. I'm with you and Andy 50/50 about the 3rd rail... I love it and what I build next will be the 3rd layout in a row to have it, but as Andy says, it can limit you geographically and can look "wrong" if you don't get it "right" (if you know what I mean). I've always used Peco 3rd rail and insulators, but C&L products might work better with your handbuilt track. I'll be using C&L sleeper bases with Tillig pointwork, so might be tempted to try the C&L 3rd rail and insulators too.

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_347_360

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Morning Mate.

You know all the times we went to Eastleigh all l ever took photos of were the locos, never took any of the passenger stuff at all, so l don't know what will run on BS if any apart from the odd 156/158 ?

George

Morning Mate.

You know all the times we went to Eastleigh all l ever took photos of were the locos, never took any of the passenger stuff at all, so l don't know what will run on BS if any apart from the odd 156/158 ?

George

No 156's Mate, 158 and 170's ran on the Romsey Service, and sometimes the odd 153. Thumpers, (Kernow Model Centre) ran through Fareham from Portsmouth to Botleigh before the Line was Electrified and then I believe they went down to the Limmington Pier Branch in the New Forest.

Then it was all 4 VEP's REP's etc around Eastleigh until the 5 Car 442 Wessex Electrics came in, so there will be plenty real modelling to do as the 158 and 170's are NOT DCC ready so will need proper lights and Hard Wiring and the Wessex may need scratch building.

One other thing that is VERY IMPORTANT to the area is Concrete Sleeperd Track and look at the Ballast colour used at Eastleigh in the pic below.

post-9335-0-66733000-1427187532_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62150500-1427187835_thumb.jpg

And Fareham.

post-9335-0-89502000-1427187745_thumb.jpg

Morning Mate.

George

No 156's Mate, 158 and 170's ran on the Romsey Service, and sometimes the odd 153. Thumpers, (Kernow Model Centre) ran through Fareham from Portsmouth to Botleigh before the Line was Electrified and then I believe they went down to the Limmington Pier Branch in the New Forest.

Then it was all 4 VEP's REP's etc around Eastleigh until the 5 Car 442 Wessex Electrics came in, so there will be plenty real modelling to do as the 158 and 170's are NOT DCC ready so will need proper lights and Hard Wiring and the Wessex may need scratch building.

One other thing that is VERY IMPORTANT to the area is Concrete Sleeperd Track and look at the Ballast colour used at Eastleigh in the pic below.

post-9335-0-66733000-1427187532_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62150500-1427187835_thumb.jpg

And Fareham.

post-9335-0-89502000-1427187745_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter, your right about the 159, I think they swapped 158's with Northern Rail and brought the 159's down South.

I didn't know about the 155's and 156's.

George, I think your trying to achieve to much with BS, you need a simple, quick to build project that will give loads of room to add details, WITHOUT getting bogged down with things like 3rd Rail, etc.

Hi Peter, your right about the 159, I think they swapped 158's with Northern Rail and brought the 159's down South.

I didn't know about the 155's and 156's.

George, I think your trying to achieve to much with BS, you need a simple, quick to build project that will give loads of room to add details, WITHOUT getting bogged down with things like 3rd Rail, etc.

I think the 159s were new units, built to replace loco hauled trains on the Waterloo Exeter trains. 158s replaced the the 155s

Cheers Peter. 

• RMweb Gold

Don't know what happened above, I'm so good it came out TWICE, hahhahah.

OMG not only can't move his elbow and cannot hold his pint he is now reaching the stage of forgetting everything the moment he has said it (pushed the button)  - we'll have to get used to repeats ... just imaging Bitton ... Bitton ... Bitton!

Seriously though not good when movement becomes a problem - get well soon Andy.

Peter

Morning Duncan.

l shouldn't hold your breath mate, the third rail will only be a mock-up of the rail, it wont be a scale replica in any way shape or form, you know me if it looks good to me then it'll do...hahaha... should be finishing the track soon so work will then begin...

George

Morning Guys,

As Andy & Peter have said, all l can remember of passenger stock was the 170s 153s 442s 159s HSTs and the electric stock, pretty boring in fact..guess l will have to move BS to a different part of the southern ?

George

Devon had Pacers for a while, then 153, 156 and 159's

This is Exeter in June 07 with 153 in evidence.

post-9335-0-15665600-1427272242_thumb.jpg

And in Dec 2007 about 11 Ex Northern Units being prepared for service.

post-9335-0-59595800-1427272389_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-21770400-1427272448_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-40480500-1427272528_thumb.jpg

Or 442's  444's at Eastleigh.

post-9335-0-94951900-1427272704_thumb.jpg

Morning Guys,

As Andy & Peter have said, all l can remember of passenger stock was the 170s 153s 442s 159s HSTs and the electric stock, pretty boring in fact..guess l will have to move BS to a different part of the southern ?

George

What about the Salisbury area. No 3rd rail and lots of loco's on freight and passenger even into the early 90s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi George

Andys going to tell me off now, but I quite like the idea of the third rail. With it only being a smallish layout then it's ideal for trying it out to see if you like it. Plus as well the layouts more geared towards multiple unit type trains for the passenger services.

Look forward to seeing what you decide.

Cheers

Marcus

What about the Salisbury area. No 3rd rail and lots of loco's on freight and passenger even into the early 90s.

Cheers Peter.

Yes Peter some nice stuff around that area, and every time I went there I saw a Ballast working, (no camera, I was with the Good Lady Shopping).

Hi George

Andys going to tell me off now, but I quite like the idea of the third rail. With it only being a smallish layout then it's ideal for trying it out to see if you like it. Plus as well the layouts more geared towards multiple unit type trains for the passenger services.

Look forward to seeing what you decide.

Cheers

Marcus

Where's that DISSAGREE button when you need it, hhahhaha :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

It will be different, I'll grant you that. :O

Archived