'Bishop Street'

georgeT

Track looks good mate. Although it's not mounted on insulator pots it's not all that noticeable from that distance. Thanks for posting Andys video. Superb workmanship and very informative. Good stuff! Keep those pictures coming.

Cheers

Marcus

Hello Marcus,

Thanks, you could spend lots of time and money making things look better, but is it really needed as the third rail is only cosmetic after all said and done....

GeorgeT

Hmm Im not a rivet counter par se I've certainly done my fair share of short cuts but I dont really understand why you wouldnt put the insulators on? The track is as much a model as the stock running on it. You may as well decide you needent bother with buffers on your 73. Having said that the layout is coming on a treat and I am still following with interest!

Edit: Your comment that it doesnt need them because its just cosmetic makes no sense either as cosmetic by definition is to do with how it looks!

Morning Cav.

Do like a good debate hahaha, l think neat soldering looks to me like insulators and when finished l will paint a little white to the solder to replicate the insulator, might work ? also l think the third rail is slightly higher than than the track and that would make track cleaning a bit difficult, with the 73s buffers l have never said anything about them, dont really know what Jack is on about, but they will be replaced with oleos when l upgrade her,

thanks for the tip on the ladders etc for the signals, l have contacted Pete Harvey who is now suppling me with the etched ladders and two aspect heads...Thanks

GeorgeT

post-7716-0-07070800-1428569583_thumb.jpg

No debate George just trying to promote better modelling. I dont really understand fundamental short cuts as all its doing is saving a bit of time but having a negative effect on the finished model. just seems odd to me. the issue with setting the rail on the sleeper is its now too low. It should be above the running rail a tad (also should be a lower profile rail as well really) also where the rail runs off it should bend down a bit. You cant do that if its sat on sleepers. In your case I would have sat the rail on some small brass washers just to give an impression of the insulators. Not too heavy in modelling but way better than nothing. I dont know what the 73 thing was about, I was just making it the example but the sentiment would apply to all your stock.

Hello Cav.

Points taken mate, just being lazy l guess, but have taken on board all of your comments, have found some copper hardboard panel pin in my drawer, so have tried soldering them on to the third rail, drilled a hole in the baseboard and dropped the pin in, and YES is does look more prototipical than soldering direct onto the track, so a big rethink on the cards, thanks for the major kick up the arse l needed..

GeorgeT

Hi Marcus,

Looks like a rethink is on, Cav is right they do look wrong soldered onto the track, so lm off to the shop to get some more copper pins, love the progress you are making with your latest project....

GeorgeT

Looks better but let me be a pain once more before you crack on. The insulator should be mounted on the sleepers so you need to drill the sleepers and pass yiur pins theough that. It will be the poodles doodles then mate.

Been working on the third rail,  l have taken advice from Cav and mounted the isolators on top of the sleepers, and mounted the rail on pins by soldering them in place also bending the ends of the rail, the rail now looks about right and is a little bit higher than the track l need to shape the insulators slightly with the soldering iron...the 37 is checking clearence ...

post-7716-0-84152600-1428663800_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-98853900-1428663850_thumb.jpg

Heres the weathering demo done by Andy Peters at his clubs open day...  

Hi Mate, Thanks for doing the Video over the Open Weekend, Just going to have a catch up on here and around the web later.

Hello Richard,

When l think of all the projects l have started over the years and never really finished, getting bored and wanting something new to try and then scrap everything l have built.not to mention all the money l have wasted, even with BS l have cut corners just to get it finished ? but having listened to Cav and looking a pictures of the third rail (which l should have done in the first place, but never do) l have come round to doing it right however long it takes, no more short cuts from now on, starting with lifting up all the third rail and laying it right...and yes l will add some wires and power cables at the ends of the rails as l have seen in photos....

GeorgeT

Hello Mate,

Glad you are back and in one piece, and all fired up after your nice rest in the freash air, l bet you have been doodling track plans all the time you were away ???, l really enjoyed my weekend with you, Peter and Mike and the gang at your clubs open day, it was nice to have two days there so there was no rush, will start weathering my stock as soon as l can get round to it, no rush...

George

Hello Mate,

Glad you are back and in one piece, and all fired up after your nice rest in the freash air, l bet you have been doodling track plans all the time you were away ???, l really enjoyed my weekend with you, Peter and Mike and the gang at your clubs open day, it was nice to have two days there so there was no rush, will start weathering my stock as soon as l can get round to it, no rush...

George

Yeah Cheers for coming down mate, you were a REAL ASSETT when I needed a break, you also came up with some nice weathering of your own which was good to see and learn from.

I will try and get up to see you in a couple of weeks if I can.

No worries mate really enjoyed pinching your ideas, l always used enamel paint for everything, but you really surprised me with Tamiya acrylics, and you dont get that awful smell of enamel thinners, as everything is washed out in water, so l went out to the shop and bought twenty pots for when l get round to weathering my own stock...

George

Been busy making a control panel for BS, l wasn't going to bother as l will be using wire/tube for the points but there are eight on board one so l would forget the numbers so l had to have a panel, plus l love building them....

post-7716-0-32077400-1428700915_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-82877100-1428700926_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

No worries mate really enjoyed pinching you ideas, l always used enamel paint for everything, but you really surprised me with Tamiya acrylics, and you dont get that awful smell of enamel thinners, as everything is washed out in water, so l went out to the shop and bought twenty pots for when l get round to weathering my own stock...

George

Hi George,

So if and when you get 'bored and want to start again' you'll have enough to paint the town ... hahaha.

Cheers, Peter

Archived