If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from Canada

Holgate Junction

Hello everyone.

My name is Matthew and I have been lurking as a guest for a few months and thought it was time to actually contribute, or at least enable a contribution by registering.  :yes:

I currently live in Sudbury, Ontario (that's a big province in Canada for those that weren't sure) - I say currently as I have moved a few times since leaving York where I was born and dragged up just as steam left BR.

I hope to one day to finish my first layout but my last attempt was halted as a pimply teenager when I discovered girls! I have recently gained access to a large collection of blue and green diesels to add to my Lima Class 55 from childhood. Time to go lay some track I reckon. ;)

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome, Matthew.

There are a couple of groups catering to British modellers in Canada. Our club (The Platelayers) has a big show every 2 years and a Symposium in the off years, about the end of April.

We also have a number of members who deal in models, both new and used.

I don't know anyone in Sudbury at the moment.

Welcome Matthew. There are quite a few Canadians on this forum, as well as Yorkshire folk, so I'm sure you'd feel right at home here. :yes:

Mind, you don't have to be nuts to enjoy your time here, but it certainly helps! :P

I think I qualify as nuts - I left South Africa for the frozen North :O  I should have stayed in Yorkshire where I started from!

Thanks generally to everyone who welcomed me.

I attended the Platelayers show this (last) year and met a few people and layouts that pretty much sealed the deal for getting back to OO scale and of course British scenery modelling. Since then I took over a collection from somebody in Eastern Ontario, as he was moving over to North American HO, and it is big enough to run several large layouts both late steam as well as green and BR blue (my favourite) diesel. I am now stuck in the (perhaps enviable) position of lots of rolling stock and no trackwork. As soon as I can get our guest to go home (I swear it is a coincidence she is an in-law as I do like her - honest :jester: ) the spare room will be mine again and I can complete a busy 8 x 10ft  introductory effort in a donut configuration built with 2 removable sections for the bed.

I fully anticipate this layout will take another year before I decide it is far too limiting, as it can only show 10% of my new locos at once even though it has lots of track, and I pull it all up to do a proper prototypical layout using the walls of the basement room so I can leave space for the bed to stay down. I believe this problem is common to many people returning to the hobby (poor initial planning and diving in too quickly) so I'll have to come back to the forum regularly to tell you all what not to do and ask you why I didn't read the collective wisdom you all offered first here :rolleyes:.

Perhaps I should just focus on something achievable for Platelayers 2016 show in Southern Ontario eh? Now how about the ECML and a full York Station...... :crazy:

Perhaps I should just focus on something achievable for Platelayers 2016 show in Southern Ontario eh? Now how about the ECML and a full York Station...... :crazy:

Very good, we'll book your space now shall we? :jester: Seriously though, welcome to the group.

Cheers,

David

Next time you are coming through Deep River or if you want to make a day out of it I would me more than happy to show off my layout (and feed you).  FYI the BRMNA Ottawa group will be coming up to my place for the June meeting and BBQ, you would be welcome to join us.  FYI, my layout is a watch trains (9 each way in an automated sequence) go by based on BR E region with a station loosely modelled on Grimsby.

Next time you are coming through Deep River or if you want to make a day out of it I would me more than happy to show off my layout (and feed you).  FYI the BRMNA Ottawa group will be coming up to my place for the June meeting and BBQ, you would be welcome to join us.  FYI, my layout is a watch trains (9 each way in an automated sequence) go by based on BR E region with a station loosely modelled on Grimsby.

That is a great offer, thanks. It would be nice to meet up with groups in both Toronto and Ottawa areas when I pass through as the Great British Train Show (Platelayers) was a very useful motivator for me. I am a little more reserved than most people I come across here on the forum but the  open and sharing nature is very welcoming. I hope I can get more involved despite my remoteness from these groups.

There is the old joke about the salesman in Toronto called into his boss's office and told he is being re-assigned to Sudbury.

Salesman (very annoyed and unhappy) - 'Sudbury! Sudbury! I don't want to go there. It's a terrible place. The only things Sudbury's known for are hockey players and hookers!'

Boss - " I'll have you know my wife comes from Sudbury."

Salesman - "What position does she play?"

Just kidding - several of my relatives have lived in Sudbury at different times, and they're all good people. Welcome to RMweb.

There is the old joke about the salesman in Toronto called into his boss's office and told he is being re-assigned to Sudbury.

Salesman (very annoyed and unhappy) - 'Sudbury! Sudbury! I don't want to go there. It's a terrible place. The only things Sudbury's known for are hockey players and hookers!'

Boss - " I'll have you know my wife comes from Sudbury."

Salesman - "What position does she play?"

Just kidding - several of my relatives have lived in Sudbury at different times, and they're all good people. Welcome to RMweb.

Thats all good and fine, but Sudbury does has one good thing over Toronto... Its not Toronto!

Excuse me while I run and duck for cover!

• RMweb Premium

Hey Bill,

You're nearer to me, same province at least and (just) connected by a rail line, which we're trying to keep. See that you're interested in 0 gauge. I'm hoping to get started on a light railway project this year, now I've unpacked most of he boxes from the UK. Halifax has the closest model shop to here.

Dava

Cape Breton

• 3 months later...

Archived