More advertising on RMWeb?

A few more house ads to solicit potential interest from advertisers have been posted over the last day or so; other than that it's roughly the same but we had a big re-organisation late last year to ensure less ads in fact but targetted better towards the content. After all it's the ads that pay for the running of the site.

If one doesn't like the persistent nature of some ads there is always adblock to selectively eliminate them. But I quite like to keep a select few as some of them I use and think they are appropriate to the site. I would hope the revenue earned goes specifically back into RMWeb and not into the bigger Warner's coffers.

As always a certain amount of advertising is to be expected - I think it has always been relevant to the site and in good taste. The few exceptions - usually glaring colours or of no interest to me are easily blocked. The ones that get blocked most are those in signatures. In fact I think there is room for a little more.

Well at least it isn't Russian Brides or mature dates which infest the Skyscrapercity forums.

For history/activity based adverts one has to log out of the site and see what Google Ads gives you. ;)

• RMweb Gold

For history/activity based adverts one has to log out of the site and see what Google Ads gives you. ;)

er yes, when I was using Safari and persistently getting auto-signed out it was an amazing world of advertising which seriously left me wondering where I'd been on the 'net and why my oft stated dislike of the idea of travelling on large cruise ships resulted in me getting adverts for holidays on them (and 'no' - none of the ads even mentioned Russia let alone brides).

• RMweb Premium

I let RMweb through adblock plus, but no other sites. Using FF with NoScript and Ghostery and blocking all third party cookies and the like plus blocking Google's javascript, I don't even see the Google adverts when I'm logged out. When it comes to Google's search pages it's a bit different, but I can even block their own adverts on that if I set up Stylish correctly...

see what Google Ads gives you. ;)

Google gives me nothing and gets nothing - it and all it's LSO trickery is blocked from this network. That include Google Analytics and Gloogle+ Platform (an annoying and subversive tracker in use on RMWeb - sadly)*

On top of those suggested by Ian another good tracker blocking add-on is Disconnect.

* in this topic by the signature image of SouthernRegionSteam (as blocking that image, appears to also drop the nasty Google+ Platform tracker !

• RMweb Premium

That signature image is hosted on a blogspot server, so that's probably why Google comes into it as they seem to run blogspot. I still get to see the image but the tracker is blocked by Ghostery.

That signature image is hosted on a blogspot server, so that's probably why Google comes into it as they seem to run blogspot.

Ian, I am sure you are right. I don't really think it was SouthernRegionSteam's intent to foist that tracker on the unsuspecting RMWeb membership - just simply an innocent consequence of using that image hosting. All too many folk use the web without a care unknowingly passing their data to these tracking devices. It is not as though Google are the only culprits. Far too many of them are at it.

As good a place to start https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spywarealso look at LSO's, very few of the trackers these days are in the form of innocent cookies. 1st party cookies (those produced and managed only by the main site you visit) are usually innocent. The problem is that many sites now use modules or add-ins from 3rd parties many of which have their own agenda and collection mechanisms. Javascript is a particularly dangerous thing to let in. It runs on your computer and can do many things. Everyone needs to be aware that the virus scare is not the real problem (few criminals want to crash your computer. Far better is the obtain your data, track that you have visited your bank and log the keys you press when you do. Fast Broadband connections now mean that your PC can leak data to the internet. How many folk allow programs to connect to the internet. Google chrome is almost constantly sending stuff out, iTunes, Adobe, even Firefox they are all "connected" and given access to your PC. Even the antivirus programs - why do we trust them?

Ladies shoes is what I get!!

Serves me right for buying the wife a present off Amazon in the Black Friday sales.

I get the same mature dating adverts off my work laptop, I guess google has made a link somewhere between model trains, IT work and being middle aged, balding and single which is unfair as I am married!

RMweb is free to the end user however it is paid for by advertising revenue. Andy York and Warners are not running a charitable trust and surprise, surprise they are running a business and the problem with that is?

I have no issue with the adverts which are far from obtrusive. Maybe for those who object, an advert free RMweb could be available for an annual upfront subscription fee!

Archived