Modelling Edinburgh Haymarket TMD

DaveClass47

Hi,

I am looking to model (albeit in condensed form) Edinburgh Haymarket TMD of the 1980's/early 1990's.   I cannot find any track plans/ track layouts to help me design my 00 gauge representation of this maintenance depot anywhere online.

Has anyone got web links or diagrams they can share with me to help me?

I can look on google maps for the modern layout of the depot, which still resembles the same sort of layout as was in the 1980's, but there has been expansion of the buildings/sheds since the early 90's and I don't want to depict the current layout as operated by First Scotrail!

Anyone out there with track plans of the 80's/90'S version of this TMD??   Any advice, much appreciated.  I must have travelled past it 1000 times on my way to University in the 90's...but I never took  sketch pad and pencil to look out of the window as my train trundled past!!

Cheers.

Dave

It really depends on whether you are depicting Haymarket depot pre or post sprinterisation

I can remember passing this depot numerous times just prior to sprinters being introduced and the transformation it underwent
Although the Class 150/2 fleet was initially quite small in 1987, it was obvious the changes had to take into account all the other units it would evenutally have to cater for, athough it wasn't until 1995 when all the units were finally allocated!

As you are no doubt aware all the Class 47/7 locos were transferred away to Eastfield in October 1987 when the Class 150/2 were received (and went straight into service)
The locos continued to visit, as Eastfield was struggling with the massive increase in locos (due to late delivery of sprinters)
It would have been very rare to have seen them side by side once the Class 156 fleet arrived in 1989, thereafter any locos were sent to Millerhill, Eastfield or Motherwell

Hi Dave

I am modelling Haymarket 64B MPD in the steam days, period 1958-1962.

I have a thread on this web-site.

Harry Knox who was a cleaner and fireman at Haymarket in the 1950's has produced two books specifically on Haymarket MPD.

His second book titled "Haymarket MPD Edinburgh, A History of the depot, it's works and locomotives 1849-2010" is a great source of information with many photos and information about the depot and the transformation from a stream depot to diesel and onto the modern traction depot it is today.

I have had a look through my copy and it does have track plans for 2007 if that is any help to you.

Good luck with your project Haymarket is a very interesting subject to model no matter what period you are looking at.

Regards

David

• 5 months later...

An excellent choice, Haymarket in the 80s, especially before Eastfield got their grubby hands (but not their washing plant) on the 47/7s

You need a long layout to model it, from Haymarket to where the (Kingdom of) Fife and Glasgow lines split. You may be wise to condense it as you say. Your current layout is very well made, buildings such as the station and signal box in particular, therefore I look forward to seeing your Murrayfield! You may find it easier to go for the version before they put the roof on, best avoid a match day as that would need a lot of figures! In those days you could see in to the pitch from passing trains and see passing trains on the TV coverage.

Recently got a 1985 Haymarket open day leaflet of eBay, it has a map with some tracks shown not sure how accurate it is, will dig it out and send you a copy.

As well as Google Earth time line you may want to try this http://maps.nls.uk/ You may find a small scale map showing individual tracks and switches.

An excellent choice, Haymarket in the 80s, especially before Eastfield got their grubby hands (but not their washing plant) on the 47/7s

You need a long layout to model it, from Haymarket to where the (Kingdom of) Fife and Glasgow lines split. You may be wise to condense it as you say. Your current layout is very well made, buildings such as the station and signal box in particular, therefore I look forward to seeing your Murrayfield! You may find it easier to go for the version before they put the roof on, best avoid a match day as that would need a lot of figures! In those days you could see in to the pitch from passing trains and see passing trains on the TV coverage.

Recently got a 1985 Haymarket open day leaflet of eBay, it has a map with some tracks shown not sure how accurate it is, will dig it out and send you a copy.

As well as Google Earth time line you may want to try this http://maps.nls.uk/ You may find a small scale map showing individual tracks and switches.

Hi thanks for that link.  I have had a look and the latest map they have of that areas is 1945-47.   However I would be keen to look at the tracks in that 1985 leaflet?

Cheers.

Dave

Link to a picture of a 40 at Haymarket with Murryfield in the background, thought it may be useful to get you started on the stadium!

http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/p999552666/h2f336f60#h2f336f60

Also link to about 60 other photos of Haymarket, many of which are of the depot.

http://brucegalloway.zenfolio.com/search.html?q=Haymarket

Will try to get the leaflet scanned and sent to you ASAP.

Archived