Railways on Old Maps

Came across an old map at work showing the boundaries of various administrative districts c1910.

The extract below shows a railway marked as running from Wimborne Station (which is not shown in quite the correct place anyway) right into the town. Whilst there were various schemes in and around the area, I've never seen one on a general map before. Wonder if a cartographer mis-drew the SDJR and forgot to erase it?

A small terminus in the centre of Wimborne might make an interesting project.

post-6880-0-88264100-1420985612.jpg

Hi

Once you enter this site I take no responsibility for the time huge amount of time spent it wastes.

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/#bbox=-2.05085,50.771514,-1.92588,50.82316&q=&datefrom=1000&dateto=2010

Tom

Thanks for the tip on that site.

But as the military saying goes, time spent in reconnaissance (which includes map-reading) is never wasted!

Mike

Edit: onley four speeling !

These maps have other practical uses. In buying our house the search brought up existence of an factory. By trawling through the various editions we were able to prove that the factory was in fact an old industry school for boys. Bank etc all calmed down after that

Shows that they are useful but you do have to be careful in using them and not assume that what it states in one edition is the original use

As an aside it seems most of the school ended up under our back garden ... Still digging bricks out

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Came across an old map at work showing the boundaries of various administrative districts c1910.

The extract below shows a railway marked as running from Wimborne Station (which is not shown in quite the correct place anyway) right into the town. Whilst there were various schemes in and around the area, I've never seen one on a general map before. Wonder if a cartographer mis-drew the SDJR and forgot to erase it?

A small terminus in the centre of Wimborne might make an interesting project.

It might not apply in this case, but some cartographers put deliberate mistakes onto their maps, it allows them to spot copyright breaches if someone reproduces it.

Adrian

Some old maps show railways that were proposed at the time but never built.  I have a lovely linen-bound Bartholomews map of Suffolk of pre-World War One vintage that shows the full intended extent of the Mid-Suffolk Light Railway: the "main line" from Westerfield to Halesworth and the "branch" from Kenton Junction to Haughley.  This would have been being built at the time and the route was probably taken from the prospectus.

The style of notation of a railway line on your map seems to be that used on the early OS maps produced over a period of time in the early 19th century and your map could well have been taken from the prospectus of a proposed railway.  A lot of these early maps are available from Cassini Maps - http://www.cassinimaps.co.uk/- of which I have some.  They are produced from a compilation of a number of maps drawn over a period of time on which the early railways are shown on some but not on others.  It can be quite fun(?) to trace the line of a railway only to have it disappear at the joint between two adjacent maps of a different age!   

Chris Turnbull

I read somewhere that the Kenton branch was to go to Westerfield

I'm doing this from memory as I'm not at home with access to my reference books so I may be wrong but I think the original intention was as I have said; certainly the "cutting of the first sod" ceremony was held at Westerfield.  However, construction started on the "branch" first and never got further than Cratfield although Laxfield was as far as passenger services went.  Earthworks were built from Kenton Junction to just short of Debenham but no track was laid or, if it was, it was taken up before any services used it, by which time the line line to Westerfield had become the branch.  If I find I'm wrong then I apologise in advance!

Chris Turnbull  

Archived