Calverley & Rodley Station track diagram

45661 Vernon

I'm researching my local area & one of the stations on the Aire valley that interests me is Calverley & Rodley.

From photos & videos the station complex was quite interesting with goods yard & carriage sidings.

I was wondering if anyone could supply a trackplan of the station & goods yard etc.

I'm currently researching the area to find something suitable to model even if it has to be scaled down.

Any help would be brilliant & well received.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a track plan as such but the Signalling Record Society will be able to supply a signalling diagram.  I would also suggest a trip to Leeds Central library to look at their map collection.   After that the Midland Railway Society may have a copy of the relavent 2 chain plan  (2 chains to 1 inch) at their collection at The Silk Mill in Derby, thoug you would ahve to book a session there via the website as it is manned  by volunteers.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I think thats the one the N Gauge group used to build their model for Leeds MRS - it was at our show last October but is now back up in the club room and it all now works...

Depending on your particular interests regarding how the layout would be operated, I wonder if this station might prove rather boring, despite its apparent complexity (and length).  Looking at the old-maps 1955 plan, it seems that it is really two very simple passing stations on their respective main lines (I am not familiar with the geography of the area) with only a single connection between the two.  I suspect that the layouts are far more complex, and interesting to operate, at either end of this four track section. I suppose as an exhibition layout it could be a good scheme, full of main line action, but rather dull in the home environment, particularly if the sidings on the north side are just for coaching stock. There doesn't seem to be adequate provision for terminating passenger services here, so the coach sidings may just be an out-station for the nearest big station.

Depending on your particular interests regarding how the layout would be operated, I wonder if this station might prove rather boring, despite its apparent complexity (and length).  Looking at the old-maps 1955 plan, it seems that it is really two very simple passing stations on their respective main lines (I am not familiar with the geography of the area) with only a single connection between the two.  I suspect that the layouts are far more complex, and interesting to operate, at either end of this four track section. I suppose as an exhibition layout it could be a good scheme, full of main line action, but rather dull in the home environment, particularly if the sidings on the north side are just for coaching stock. There doesn't seem to be adequate provision for terminating passenger services here, so the coach sidings may just be an out-station for the nearest big station.

There was an article in the January 2015 Backtrack magazine covering the line, with several early/mid 1960s photos of Calverley & Rodley. It appears that the sidings were used to store withdrawn coaching stock at that time. The local stopping passenger service was Leeds-Bradford/Skipton.

Edited to correct issue date

• RMweb Premium

well you have locals, main line S&C passenger, freight, local freight, ECS, parcels etc. The goods yard can be interesting to operate but only if you can fit everything in. 

Baz

Archived