Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford Road - 1980s/90s NSE

Rich Papper

• Tempfix
On 21/10/2022 at 20:45, Temeraire said:

Hi Rich

Shame I won’t make it this weekend it would’ve been good to finally meet you, don’t suppose you’ll get to Newbury next weekend?

Have a good show.

Hi Ian

Sorry to have missed you. I can't make it to Newbury I'm afraid - hope it goes well though. Have used up all my 'home job leave' this weekend!

Very near where I went to school though - not been back in more than 25 years so may not have left that much of an impression.

Hope the travelling is good - the chaps next to us this weekend had a 6 hour journey from Leicester to Taunton thanks to the M5.

Rich

• Like 1

• Tempfix
On 23/10/2022 at 01:54, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Rich,

Hope the Taunton show goes well.

Sadly, I can't make it as I'm working on the big railway all weekend. It's a shame as it would have been nice to catch up.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Sorry to have missed you too. May have Monmouth on the horizon though - make up for the flooded one last time!

Very envious of working on the big railway too!

Rich

• Like 1

• Tempfix
25 minutes ago, Rhysb said:

Good to see the layout at Taunton Rich. You seemed pretty busy when I popped by on Sunday

Rhys

It was a bit manic at times. I did get a brief look around the rest of the show, although leaving a 7 year old in charge doesn't allow for a lot of time for distraction.

Rich

• Like 1

• Tempfix

A few pictures from the weekend. Layout performed well. Only gremlin we had was one of the tube trains throwing the bolts for it's tenshodo mounting bracket on the Saturday. Managed to find one of them and it held for the Sunday on that. Hopefully some more tube stock to relieve the pressure by the next show.

RMOR95.jpg.d2c275685b57427fccce8d1343c83776.jpg

RMOR96.jpg.d8243dd84c282362f7573a7a27eace20.jpg

RMOR97.jpg.d8e90382c681800b329fa45128b1a1b1.jpg

Several asked about the weathering of the Bachmann 121. Seems to have turned out well, but I recommend extreme caution around the powered bogie.

Stay safe folks.

Rich

• Like 11

• Tempfix

A couple of good video clips of Oxford Road in action have appeared. Thank you so much to those who make these and upload them. I've done drivers eye ones in the past, but it wouldn't really occur to me to film it myself.

From 24:11 here:

And from 28:35 here:

Thanks again to those who do this - particularly those who I don't even notice doing it. If ever anyone is filming it and wants something to move please just shout - I've probably just forgotten it's there or run out of ideas! Apologies for the occasional background noise of my exasperation with Thing 1's shunting on the clips! He didn't bring any surprise Hornby 0-4-0 steam this time, but he did tend to snooker me quite frequently.

Rich

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

Just getting ready for our outing to Weston Super Mare for the Burnham and District's show tomorrow. Show website here.

My 7 year old has been loading some of the stock boxes so we could be running anything. I'll try to keep it prototypical, but no promises.

RMOR98.jpg.fbab1caba90a74a19eb1542a27d7160c.jpg

Please do say hello if you're passing.

Rich

• Like 9

• Tempfix

Good Evening All

A very enjoyable Sunday at the Weston Super Mare show. Quite frenetic though - been a while since I've been to one so busy. I didn't get a chance to get near something for lunch until about 2:45. Didn't really get a chance to look at other layouts much either - although the 7 year old did manage to hold his own a few times.

DMUs popular. Really need to weather the Bachmann 117 to join them, but really don't need to bring as many as I do. Bachmann 121 managed a trailer with no issues.

RMOR99.jpg.9cb9f3f39c147f0a30a4df64eadf0f45.jpg

33s the main loco type on display. Didn't manage to squeeze in a 50 until mid afternoon.

RMOR100.jpg.135585d29395ac815e3aa4bde51dca67.jpg

Thing 1's track maintenance / personnel carrier performed well despite not fitting through through the platform line.

RMOR101.jpg.974c69b8c127cde0429c9a17e0cdc892.jpg

Bass repaint needs more for the load. Took ages making those pallets, but they took up annoyingly little space!

RMOR102.jpg.efe9755a73ef5c73d507bb1ded783fdd.jpg

Monmouth next.

Rich

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

Just loaded OR back home after an excellent day at the Monmouth Rotary Club show. OR performed very well. Was next to a work in progress N gauge layout with the most stunningly well crafted woodwork though. Does make me feel like having another go. Busy day but good chance to chat to people. Many interested in 47526. Straight out of the box new Bachmann 47. Not had chance to fit detailing bits to it as only got it for birthday yesterday. Also picked up a new Rapido ferry van.

RMOR103.jpg.ac092c5a56c6dafcfedb78a78b6bed4c.jpg

RMOR104.jpg.e2b3338b706d89e3e2a5d49b309f20cb.jpg

RMOR105.jpg.a097cdfcb42f0388dfa0bbf2ba1c83b7.jpg

Need another weekend to recover now though!

Rich

• Like 15

• 7 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello All

Just piecing the bits back together after a great show last weekend in Stafford. Would like to say the layout performed faultlessly, but...

Anyway, a few photos. New bubble gar debut for L120. This is the new Bachmann model (reduced bargain from Kernow), now weathered. Ran very well in a consist with L124. Not sure what to do with the other one now. I have a Hornby one that I detailed and added lights etc. Retire for parts I guess.

RMOR107.jpg.30d91c2e303a89f39967070ce273ff80.jpg

Was careful not to mix eras with this. Think they need to be at least 6 years apart!

RMOR110.jpg.1a298b756bc643af3de76c39b2e523d4.jpg

Eddie made an appearance, but now close up pictures like this make me wonder more about the Accurascale one. If I don't go for the green now when will they run it again? Only repainted last year with all the details and bits.

RMOR108.jpg.c278f7bc22bf3387b35eb4ecedbfbd7e.jpg

Despite a slightly uneven floor, did manage to get the layout quite well aligned. It wasn't built to be an exhibition layout so the top layer doesn't have alignment dowels - it relies on M8 bolts. I have had instances where its been a struggle to get it all on the level even with the adjustable feet. Worst was when upstairs in a timbered building where the whole floor moved whenever anyone walked past! No such problems at Stafford though.

RMOR109.jpg.45a2c79b22c3aaf08eb8897f6337e695.jpg

Then the DMUs. Did feel slightly bad that I still haven't got around to weathering the Bachmann 117 for an appearance, but most comments were more about the home made / bashed together variants not offered RTR.

RMOR111.jpg.471e6aea6f1c317315af6e0774479852.jpg

BUT we had a failure. Fortunately it happened at 4:10 on the Sunday afternoon and not sooner, but for some reason the Powercab that runs the top layer of the layout gave up. Never had any problems before, and in fairness I have had it nearly 14 years, but the screen went blank and the red light on the panel went out. Early days with diagnostics - need to get it figured out before the Thornbury show though. I don't think it is the power supply as all the lights on the layout stayed on, and I can't see why that would fail. I could plug the Powercab into the home layout (Procab) as an additional throttle, but I want to make sure I don't spread whatever problem is there somewhere else. Could be the cable, but I can't tell the difference between the 4 or 6 wire ones and I'm not sure which I'm supposed to use in each instance anyway.

Might have to resort to reading the instructions!

Stay safe.

Rich

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• Tempfix

Update. Have found a curly NCE wire and managed to restore life to the handset. Left it plugged in with a loco running on rollers for three hours without issue, so am assuming it is the wire. The same curly one I found also seems to connect it OK to the home layout as an additional throttle.

Just need to find a longer one from somewhere now. Any recommendations welcome.

Rich

• Like 4

• Tempfix

It's my first issue to be honest. I bought a longer flat cable so I could operate from either side when I moved home - I forget who from, but it was a custom job and not an NCE branded one. In fairness that means it has done at least ten years of being used at exhibitions and then being coiled up and shoved in and out of a box.

Accidentally left the test rig (module where power goes in and loco sat on rollers) on when I went out earlier so has happily run for another five hours without incident. Will test again before the Thornbury show when I get a new wire, but I can't now see that it can have been anything else.

Thanks billywhizz, will have a look at DCC Concepts.

Rich

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tempfix

Quick update: new wire from DCC Concepts. Has all been sat running for three hours without incident with all lights on, old locos, all lights blazing. Not sure what else I can do to test it - hasn't put a foot wring since using new wire. Paranoid about getting to next show and it giving up early in the day though...

Now have a spare short wire and spare power supply, but short of carrying two of everything not sure what more one can do.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• 1 month later...
  • Tempfix

Good Evening All

Some wheel cleaning afoot tonight as Oxford Road is out this weekend at the Thornbury and South Glos MRC exhibition - details here.

RMOR112.jpg.d8c5e5fdb320c9e4f608aa35ad3ef7ec.jpg

Taking a lot more tools this time just in case. Please do say hello if you're passing.

Always interrupt if it looks like I'm concentrating on something, I've probably just snookered myself.

Rich

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Good Evening All

Some wheel cleaning afoot tonight as Oxford Road is out this weekend at the Thornbury and South Glos MRC exhibition - details here.

Taking a lot more tools this time just in case. Please do say hello if you're passing.

Always interrupt if it looks like I'm concentrating on something, I've probably just snookered myself.

Rich

Good luck Rich, I had forgotten this was on this weekend, might have to see if I can get a pass out..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Good Evening All

Rich

Enjoy! 

I won't be able to make it but please post some photos if u get the time to take some (especially if they're DMUs)

Will

• Like 1

• Tempfix
22 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Enjoy! 

I won't be able to make it but please post some photos if u get the time to take some (especially if they're DMUs)

Will

Thanks I’ll try. As this one is quite close to home I might do a bit of a stock-swap overnight to get a few more DMUs an airing.

Rich

• Like 2

• Tempfix
19 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Rich,

Good to see that Oxford Road is still going. I won't be able to make Thornbury due to work and a family commitment but I hope you have a good show.

Cheers,

Wayne (we've chatted at previous shows)

Thanks Wayne. Having just dragged all the bits together I do have a bit of a sense of ‘still going’. Really need to start on the replacement but my son is building one at the moment so not a lot of space.

Rich

Edited by Rich Papper
Fingers bigger than keyboard.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Thanks Wayne. Having just dragged all the bits together I do have a bit of a sense of ‘still going’. Really need to start on the replacement but my son is building one at the moment so not a lot of space.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Your son is building a layout now? Crikey, it hasn't been THAT long since we last chatted at the show has it, how old is he now?

Wayne

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 1

• Tempfix
14 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi Rich,

Your son is building a layout now? Crikey, it hasn't been THAT long since we last chatted at the show has it, how old is he now?

Wayne

Feels like it! He's just turned 8. He started it about 6 months ago having picked up a C J Freezer track plans books from the BRM lucky dip at the Bristol show in April. Just a small shunting puzzle style thing. Good for him to learn some techniques. He's probably already better at most of them than me!

CA348.jpg.458f2042acca10de9d6ef556d05dff8f.jpg

He's probably safer with the tools than I am too.

Rich

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Feels like it! He's just turned 8. He started it about 6 months ago having picked up a C J Freezer track plans books from the BRM lucky dip at the Bristol show in April. Just a small shunting puzzle style thing. Good for him to learn some techniques. He's probably already better at most of them than me!

CA348.jpg.458f2042acca10de9d6ef556d05dff8f.jpg

He's probably safer with the tools than I am too.

Rich

Good for him. The longer it keeps him away from the dreaded X box the better!

• Agree 3