Oxford Road - 1980s/90s NSE

Rich Papper

• Tempfix

I like this! Like the detailing and little cameo scenes, especially the model shop window with all the models in it next to the tube station.

Excellent modelling sir!

Sam

Thank you Sam and Merc435, the Model Shop was a bit of a learning curve as was the first time I have ever tried to model a real one. Modelmania is in Bristol - fantastic shop - I spent a great deal of time there growing up. A proper old fashioned train shop, stacked to the ceiling with boxes just waiting for a good rummage. I strongly recommend a visit. Just about managed to get the dimensions of the building right, even through the original is on a slight hill. The window display was the biggest challenge as I had no clear photograph and lived 300 miles away from it at the time. Decided to take pictures of all the stock I had that I had bought from there over the years and then scale it down to fit. Tiled them all together (some boxes are 1 x 2.5mm!) and then printed on photo paper. So all my models are in the window! I think 'Model Your Model Shop' could be quite a fun challenge. Photos below.

Rich

post-17911-0-65561700-1421603351.jpg

post-17911-0-53919800-1421603356.jpg

• Like 13

You're just showing off now!!!!!!!

Brilliant ideas with the office interiors.

Too many DMU's? nevaaaaaa!

Very nice indeed.

I agree That you can never having too many DMUs.

Having worked in and visited many BR offices over the years I can also say you can never have too many notice boards!

cheers

• Tempfix

First time I've read your thread and you have an amazing layout. Surface and underground. So much detail. Will follow with interest, can we have some more pics of the underground please. The photos you ve taken look real

Hello Keith, not sure I've quite got to real yet, but I am enjoying trying. Two more here. One of the works train which hopefully shows the track off a little better. As I've said, because of it's size it is very difficult to get a camera in to get a picture. Also I've included one of the Underground under construction. It really is as simple as mount card and postal tubes. The tiles were created by copying and pasting rectangles on the computer and then printing on photo paper to give the glossy enamel finish.

Rich

post-17911-0-23393600-1422038532.jpg

post-17911-0-92579300-1422038535.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hello Keith, not sure I've quite got to real yet, but I am enjoying trying. Two more here. One of the works train which hopefully shows the track off a little better. As I've said, because of it's size it is very difficult to get a camera in to get a picture. Also I've included one of the Underground under construction. It really is as simple as mount card and postal tubes. The tiles were created by copying and pasting rectangles on the computer and then printing on photo paper to give the glossy enamel finish.

Rich

Where did you get the lighting?

• Tempfix

Lighting is from Ikea. It's called DIODER - a set of 4LED lighting strips. About £20. Got mine years ago, but I'm fairly sure they still sell them. I think they're for lighting under book shelves or kitchen cupboards. Run on 12v DC, although I didn't use the Ikea transformer as these get a bit hot. I used 2 strips in the front platform of the underground, one in the rear and the last in the shed above.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

I remember the 'ozone' smell of the older 'Q' stock on the District line back in the 50's, also the smell of damp soot that seemed to pervade in the tunnels even though steam locomotives had been gone for half a century.

• Tempfix

Hi Nigel. It does seem like a very long time ago. I've been to a few more since then and it does always seem well received. I'm still totally paranoid about leaving some critical piece of it at home! 

A couple more pics from the archive tonight. Another DMU and some 33s. I'll try and scour around for some more under construction pictures.

Rich

post-17911-0-14766200-1422141166.jpg

post-17911-0-57805900-1422141169.jpg

• Like 12

• Tempfix

Hi All. Found a couple more of the Underground building. Holden-esque was the plan. Just to prove that it does have ticket machines and a ticket window - really hard to see from the front. Have also found that it isn't possible to tell that the sign around the shelter at the front lights up (unless I'm at home with the lights off) - another one of those cases of hours of work for no obvious effect! I'm still happy that it does.

Rich

post-17911-0-16410800-1422141469.jpg

post-17911-0-35919900-1422141472.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Tempfix

Hello. Oxford Road is going to the Derby exhibition this weekend. Do say hello if you're passing - I'll be the one wondering how I managed to completely snooker myself with some absent minded bit of unplanned shunting. Of course that's assuming I can remember how to put it together....

Rich

• Like 3