Exactoscale wheels ?

Hi, I have been eyeing up the gorgeous exactoscale wheels. I can't find much info on them and can see the are made for P4.

I wondered how they are assembled and if there are axle options or ways to adapt them to 00.

Also is the price per pair and axle or per pair without axle or other.

I could be tempted to do a very small P4 layout with limited stock.

Cheers in advance Rob :)

You need to buy separately:

Driving wheels. (Sold in Pairs)

Axles (Pack of)

Wheel Centres (Pack of 10)

Relevant crankpins (Sold in pairs)

Assembly tool.

You may also need more threaded wheel bushes (They come as part of the crankpin pack but you need an extra pair for driving axle) Hexagonal crankpin nut.(Only round  supplies with crankpin pack)

Where to start: http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=23

and click on instructions.

P

Before buying you should make sure they'll work on 00.  P4 wheels are 2mm wide (vs 2.7mm typically for 00) and the flanges are going to be very fine (I refer you to the thread on MRJ 234 for a "ahem" discussion on flanges).  These features may compromise travel over the common crossing (the wide, > 1mm, 00 flangeways may mean that the wheels are unsupported - "bumpity bump").  The fine flanges may result in your locos not being able to hold the road unless trackwork is impeccable.

I have some Exactoscale EM wagon wheels.  They are lovely but assembling them is a bit tricky.

Markits wheels are a good compromise being finer than 00 but perfectly OK for 00. 

John

Cheers for the replies I will be using 00 C and L track.

So all sounds good but can you get 00 axles for them.

The fine flange and general look is what's captured my attention

Cheers Rob :)

Hi, I have been eyeing up the gorgeous exactoscale wheels. I can't find much info on them and can see the are made for P4.

I wondered how they are assembled and if there are axle options or ways to adapt them to 00.

Also is the price per pair and axle or per pair without axle or other.

I could be tempted to do a very small P4 layout with limited stock.

Cheers in advance Rob :)

Rob they are designed for P4 operation, as they need a special tool to fit them I guess axles are unique to P4. Secondly there would be a question over their running qualities on 00 track due to the ultra fine (in 00 terms) wheel flanges

...So all sounds good but can you get 00 axles for them...

No, they are designed for P4 only. Even if you could get 00 axles, P4 profile wheels will run on 00 plain track but will fall off on pointwork. You could build your own turnouts to 00 gauge with P4 flangeways, but why bother as nothing else will run on them. Gibson, Ultrascale, or Markits 00 wheels are all much better looking that typical RTR wheels, so use them if you want to stick with 00 gauge. Otherwise, if you really want the fine appearance of P4 wheels, do the job properly and do it all in P4.

Nick

No, they are designed for P4 only. Even if you could get 00 axles, P4 profile wheels will run on 00 plain track but will fall off on pointwork. You could build your own turnouts to 00 gauge with P4 flangeways, but why bother as nothing else will run on them. Gibson, Ultrascale, or Markits 00 wheels are all much better looking that typical RTR wheels, so use them if you want to stick with 00 gauge. Otherwise, if you really want the fine appearance of P4 wheels, do the job properly and do it all in P4.

Nick

Cheers Nick that makes it clear enough. Well if that's the case I may make a small P4 layout one day to try.

There has been a degradation in quality of late. The beautifully made Wheel Centres of the original Exactoscale have been replaced with crudely turned flat plates with a dimple obviously made with an oversize centre drill.

Very disappointing and does not bode well for the future.

There has been a degradation in quality of late. The beautifully made Wheel Centres of the original Exactoscale have been replaced with crudely turned flat plates with a dimple obviously made with an oversize centre drill.

Very disappointing and does not bode well for the future.

Really? That is very disappointing as the originals are beautiful. I have a set for my V2 and they look superb.

Looks al'reet to me.

They are very expensive wheels. I am likely to stick with ultrascales for the most part but it is the particularly thick tyres of the lner wheela that made my mouth water they look fabulous.

Cheers for posting the picture I'd be curious to see all the component parts of the wheels as they seem odd to most wheel assemblies.

You'll probably get a better idea of the individual components by looking through the exactoscale instructions PDF I linked to earlier in the thread. The wheels/axle fixture relies on a friction taper fit  (I'm not talking Levi's here) in the same way a taper shank drill bit fits in a pedestal drill or an engine flywheel fits to the crankshaft in a classic Mini Cooper.

This explanation may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

The taper is why you need special tool for assembly and re-assembly.

P

You'll probably get a better idea of the individual components by looking through the exactoscale instructions PDF I linked to earlier in the thread. The wheels/axle fixture relies on a friction taper fit  (I'm not talking Levi's here) in the same way a taper shank drill bit fits in a pedestal drill or an engine flywheel fits to the crankshaft in a classic Mini Cooper.

This explanation may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

The taper is why you need special tool for assembly and re-assembly.

P

Cheers I will try again but the link would not open last time I tried.

Thanks Rob :)

• 3 months later...

Am I going slightly dotty in my old age? I have just checked out the Ultrascale web site to see if they produce a 3'8" 10 spoke wheel suitable for a project I have coming up. Oh, joy! They do, and at £ 5.08 for the nickel silver tyred version.

So, some 'comparison shopping', perhaps while my tea cools a bit - off to the C&L Finescale/Exactoscale site and, yes they also produce said wheel in diameter and spoke configuration. £ 14.00 the pair and no axle or jiggery pokery to set it all up...!? Really?

Can someone explain the price difference to me, please, while I wait for my Ultrascale wheels...saving myself a minimum of £ 27.00 without the need to buy axles etc as well...

...and £ 8 on the drivers. Someone once told me Ultrascale were expensive...they also told me they were the best...

Best,

Marcus

Ok, but incomparable in the marketplace nevertheless.

Depends on how sharp your eyesight is. The Exactoscale wheel is based on an LNER drawing whereas the ultrascale is for GWR prototypes.

You don't only need to buy a 1mm axle (Easy enough to cut your own) and some Loctite for the exactoscale. You need to buy the end caps also. E4ZW C01A

Interesting equation in't it.   Time/cost/appearance.

How often does that come into play when we talk about model railways?

Having recently bought a full set of one of the latest batches of Exactoscale drivers and bogie wheels I was rather concerned to be told by C& Ls owner there was a question mark over run out of these latest drivers...

P

I believe the Exactoscale wheels have a special arrangement (you need the Exactoscale tool) to fit and remove the wheels, some modellers love them and are willing to pay the extra

No tool required for the bogie wheels

Having recently bought a full set of one of the latest batches of Exactoscale drivers and bogie wheels I was rather concerned to be told by C& Ls owner there was a question mark over run out of these latest drivers...

Can't leave this just hanging!

Does C&L's owner not know for sure? Perhaps he's only heard rumours on the Internet? Was a remedy, either by way of technique, or replacement, offered?

The Nim.

Are the exactoscale ones also self quartering? (Not that it explains trailing wheel pricing...)

No, they aren't. It was a design aim, present during early iterations of the system before it was launched.

The Nim.

That's a shame.  Slightly (ok fully) OT but what would really revolutionise things is a self quartering wheelset with built in split axle and conductive wheel centres. (I know Alan Gibson do metal wheels, but I don't have the machine tools to deal with them.  I am also aware of metal wheels from Markits, but they arent available in P4. No pleasing some people :-))

Can't leave this just hanging!

Does C&L's owner not know for sure? Perhaps he's only heard rumours on the Internet? Was a remedy, either by way of technique, or replacement, offered?

It was the owner that told us of this at the York show. He didn't tell us the source or a if a solution had been offered & we didn't ask.

p

Archived