O-16.5 Wheel Standards and Micro Engineering Track

Jeff Smith

OK, here's the problem, I have an On30 layout with ME code 70 track. I will be running O-16.5 stock over it. I have just finished a Peco 4 wheel coach and the supplied wheels hit the point blades and de-rail. I did some measuring and it seems that all the Bachmann On30 wheels are RP25-110, as they should be. However the Peco wheels (and the Markits wheels with the Branchlines GVT chassis kit) are closer to RP25-88. So, although the B to B is about the same the thinner flanges allow the Peco wheels to move over far enough to hit the point blade.

Any one else seen this problem?

Hi Jeff

Yep had the same problem but with the Bachmann wheels over Peco Narrow Gauge track.  Peco track was developed in the late 60's for their 0n16.5 stock, which was fine, however it was not developed for the Bachmann wheel standard.  The problem I found with my little logging layout was that although most of the time the stock ran ok through the points on occasion it decided it was going to go in the opposite direction through the frog.  Solved it by fitting small strips of 5 thou plasticard to the check rails.

The answer to your problem is to fit RP25-110 profile wheels to your GVT stock, the answer to my problem was to relay my track with ME track.

Loconuts

Are there agreed O-16.5 wheel standards or do they just mirror OO wheels?

Were most, or all, British narrow gauge wagons and coaches equipped with spoked wheels - were there any disc wheels?

Hi Jeff

The wheels used originally by 0-16.5 modellers were 00 standard wheels.  If you want to see if that has changed over the years check with the 7mm Association.

I believe that all wheels were spoked, but again I stand to be corrected and suggest contact with the 7mm Association.

http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/

Loconuts

Hi Jeff

Yep had the same problem but with the Bachmann wheels over Peco Narrow Gauge track.  Peco track was developed in the late 60's for their 0n16.5 stock, which was fine, however it was not developed for the Bachmann wheel standard.  The problem I found with my little logging layout was that although most of the time the stock ran ok through the points on occasion it decided it was going to go in the opposite direction through the frog.  Solved it by fitting small strips of 5 thou plasticard to the check rails.

The answer to your problem is to fit RP25-110 profile wheels to your GVT stock, the answer to my problem was to relay my track with ME track.

Loconuts

I also found this happened on occasion and, of course. always when giving a demonstration !

Two other nasty little tricks rolling stock can get up to , and often does, is for the Kaydee uncoupling pin to sometimes foul the frog or point blades and another irritation is when the trailing chains on the Bachmann wooden sided dump trucks jams between the crossing blades and hurls the truck off the tracks !

I still blame the mother-in-law...

Cheers.

Allan.

I also found this happened on occasion and, of course. always when giving a demonstration !

Two other nasty little tricks rolling stock can get up to , and often does, is for the Kaydee uncoupling pin to sometimes foul the frog or point blades and another irritation is when the trailing chains on the Bachmann wooden sided dump trucks jams between the crossing blades and hurls the truck off the tracks !

I still blame the mother-in-law...

Cheers.

Allan.

Hi Allan

Kaydee do a pair of modified pliers for adjusting the uncoupling tail, very useful.  I had a similar problem with some couplings fitted to a number of San Juan Tank wagons, these were San Juans own make of coupling and I had to adjust 3 sets of coupling.

Loconuts

I generally find that the Kaydee between tracks magnet isn't powerful enough to always pull the uncoupling pins over - does anyone else experience this ?

And also for this to work, do the coupling pins have to actually drag across the magnet ?

Cheers.

Allan.

On Leesburg I used Bachmann magnets which are about 1" wide and 2" long and powerful enough go under the track. I'm also just using the factory fitted Bachmann E-Z Mate 2 couplings. The trip pins just clear the point blades. The only one I have trouble with is one just clear of a slight curve - both pins tend to go the same way.

Problems solved by using a KADEE Coupler jig it sets the height of the coupler and the trip pin, if you use this you should have no more problems.

David a Brit in the USA

Just an update on my original problem, ie. PECO O-16.5 coach wheels hitting Micro Engineering point blades - specifically when continuing an 18" radius curve through the turnout with the turnout set to 'turn out' It worked fine if the turnout was set for a straight road.

I have now added weight to the coach (underfloor solid solder strips) and reset the back to backs to the wider limit 0.575" - as supplied they were on bottom limit of 0.566". With these changes and ensuring that the point blades are firmly seated in the stretcher bar for maximum clearance between stock rail and point blade, the coach just about goes through and I think will be acceptable.

I had previously thought of replacing the wheels with non-magnetic Kadee 24" On30 disc wheels and using Kadee couplings, but having acquired some I found that the pin-point axles were too long to use in the coach without major surgery and they were also slightly larger in diameter (I knew this before). Non-magnetic spoked wheel sets aren't available except perhaps by replacing the steel axles with brass from the Proto 87 Stores. All in all I can't be bothered and in any case was leaning towards scale chopper couplings.

Archived