RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

Love the layout - i'd missed this thread and a friend pointed it out - spent a happy hour reading it last night!  You have done a superb job, its very inspirational, and the locos look great.  Now watching with interest!

Hello Del,

Naughty by nature I'm afraid, however who wouldn't want a 9F. They are simply beautiful locomotives!

My advice to you though, is if you want one you will need to get in very quickly. According to the FSB website there are not many left:

http://www.finescalebrass.co.uk/o-gauge-locomotives-55h-models.htm

I too suffer from the illness, however I certainly would not have it any other way. :)

They are superb - would love one, but the funds don't stretch at the moment!  Watched the 9F on the Finescale Brass stand at the recent Gauge O Guild exhibition at Doncaster pottering up and down a short track for several minutes. The DCC sound on those locos really is perfect. I've heard DCC audio on steam many times and not been impressed in the slightest - but that 9F really showed what can be done.  They are better than superb!

Rich

just saw this

the Britannia & duke I have enough orders to press the go button (although I will not turn away more :yes: ) I just want to make sure the pound does not collapse depending on Brexit before I place the factory order

There are two drawbars with each 9F with the shorter one  I have run though 3'9" forwards nut  there is a bind backwards, however with the slightly longer drawbar fitted Bingo! forwards and back through 3'9" fast & slow

The sample you see chuffing about at the exhibitions has A loksound 4L fitted with a stay alive all fits in the loco no need for wires to the tender

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

just saw this

the Britannia & duke I have enough orders to press the go button (although I will not turn away more :yes: ) I just want to make sure the pound does not collapse depending on Brexit before I place the factory order

There are two drawbars with each 9F with the shorter one  I have run though 3'9" forwards nut  there is a bind backwards, however with the slightly longer drawbar fitted Bingo! forwards and back through 3'9" fast & slow

The sample you see chuffing about at the exhibitions has A loksound 4L fitted with a stay alive all fits in the loco no need for wires to the tender

Yes I dis see that the 'go button' has been pushed on the Brit's and the Duke. I've actually ordered 3 of the Brit's now, so I can't wait for 2017 to roll on and get them in my hands!!

I've ordered: 70000 Britannia, 70013 Oliver Cromwell & 70049 Solway Firth

Envious or what. I used to see "Solway Firth" @ 14D Neasden quite a bit in the early sixties. Always thought the larger tender suited the"Britts"

Our exit from the EU on thursday should help your exchange rate !!

Regards,Del.

• Like 1

Here are a few shots of the Crab that I picked up while I was in the UK over the last few weeks. It looks so clean compared to it's weathered sister - something I'll have to deal with very soon. However I'm glad to have her in the fleet.

Before I start to make it dirty though, I'm going to move those builders plates into the correct position.

post-17317-0-27542600-1467052285.jpg

post-17317-0-97826500-1467052297.jpg

post-17317-0-64521700-1467052306.jpg

post-17317-0-57207400-1467052315.jpg

• Like 6

I've been working on the bothy again since coming back from the UK. The chimneys are 90% finished and I have started on the right hand side roof. This entire model is being details and weathered using colour pencils, however to finish the model once all that is done I will go over it lightly with an airbrush and then again with a matt varnish.

post-17317-0-17861800-1467052447.jpg

• Like 7

While I was in the UK I took a pano image of the hills around Haworth. After stitching them together and then duplicating it I have come up with something that I think might work as a backdrop to Newton Grove. I really wanted to go with a very average day where the sky is grey and bleak. Hopefully this achieves this, but a test print will confirm this.

When it is attached to the layout the hills won't be seen. They are just there as a reference and aid the stitching process.

post-17317-0-87933900-1467067546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 5

I've finally been inspired to do some more work on the shed building itself. This has always been the biggest challenge for me for this entire layout project as not only have I never scratch built a building before but I'm also not savy in construction, planning or intellectual matters. Though I have watched DVDs on building buildings before, this shed is quite the 'hope and pray' style of building.

Regardless, here is progress so far. The walls are now all held together using Liquid Nails and the face of the building has been clad in red brick. I am now slowly looking at how to add the inner roof detail with cross braces and smoke shoots.

post-17317-0-06237500-1467142358.jpg

post-17317-0-05675700-1467142373.jpg

post-17317-0-43774300-1467142392.jpg

You can really see the effect of the mirror in the above shot.

post-17317-0-78018800-1467142431.jpg

The cross braces are in position like this for marking purposes only. The will be cut to length and then inserted inside the building, not on top of the wall as shown.

post-17317-0-88730500-1467142508.jpg

You can just see the beginning of the smoke shoot and also the tops of the cross braces.

post-17317-0-14075800-1467142542.jpg

Fingers crossed that this shed turns out to look the way I want it to. I guess if it doesn't I'll just build another one.

• Like 6

I've finally been inspired to do some more work on the shed building itself. This has always been the biggest challenge for me for this entire layout project as not only have I never scratch built a building before but I'm also not savy in construction, planning or intellectual matters. Though I have watched DVDs on building buildings before, this shed is quite the 'hope and pray' style of building.

Regardless, here is progress so far. The walls are now all held together using Liquid Nails and the face of the building has been clad in red brick. I am now slowly looking at how to add the inner roof detail with cross braces and smoke shoots.

attachicon.gifIMG_6271.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6272.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6273.jpg

You can really see the effect of the mirror in the above shot.

attachicon.gifIMG_6276.jpg

The cross braces are in position like this for marking purposes only. The will be cut to length and then inserted inside the building, not on top of the wall as shown.

attachicon.gifIMG_6278.jpg

You can just see the beginning of the smoke shoot and also the tops of the cross braces.

attachicon.gifIMG_6279.jpg

Fingers crossed that this shed turns out to look the way I want it to. I guess if it doesn't I'll just build another one.

Hi, what type of smoke chutes were you planning on making?  Newton Heath and Rose Grove (centre section) had a similar cheap LMS replacement design.  The front (entrance) and rear (to back wall) at Rose Grove had the LMS concrete cast louvres.  They would match your front wall well with bricks supporting a concrete lintel, and there are drawings of this type in LMS SHEDS Volume 1.  I was planning to make 4mm versions of the concrete sections by resin casting sections.  I think the cross beams were concrete rather than RSJs - I will have a look at my 'photos when I recover my 'photo collection (don't ask).

Steve

I've been giving some thought over the past few days to the rear of the layout past the road bridge. Essentially that is the fiddle yard, however I want it to not be in view too much. So what I have decided to do is play with some forced perspective and put low relief buildings there, thus giving the impression of distance. I'll be ordering the terrace house rear kit from Scale Scenes and getting my local printer to run the design off for me in card, just to give it some good strength. The kit is only 4.99, so it's not a killer on price and printing wont cost too much either.

The best thing about doing things this way is that if I build it and it looks terrible, I can just dispose of it. However I'm sure that it will make the layout look good and add a little more interest. 

• Like 3

Here is a little progress on my Stannier Mogul kit that is being built for me. It is slowly starting to look like a locomotive now. Hopefully the builder will have it completed by December for me.

post-17317-0-56778700-1467590421_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Anything special about December Jonathan Xmas present !! Or are you exhibiting.

Not exhibiting yet Chris - that will be in mid-2017. I'd just like to have the loco to play with during my Xmas break mainly.

• Like 1

When Newton Grove is finished late this year or early next I'd love to try and get the layout featured in BRM or Model Rail.

Does anyone have any contacts?  :)

And I bet the Editor would come himself to photograph it!!!!!!!

This is really coming together Newtz, I've watched it for a while now and you're certainly capturing the essence of the dirty environment of steam sheds in the north west very well indeed.

Keep it up, and three class 7's????? WOW!!!

Jinty ;) 

Ben Jones the Editor of BRM is on RM Web his ID is 61661. You'll find him on the main page at the top non the Latest News Stories thread.

Regards

Chris

When Newton Grove is finished late this year or early next I'd love to try and get the layout featured in BRM or Model Rail.

Does anyone have any contacts?  :)

And I bet the Editor would come himself to photograph it!!!!!!!

This is really coming together Newtz, I've watched it for a while now and you're certainly capturing the essence of the dirty environment of steam sheds in the north west very well indeed.

Keep it up, and three class 7's????? WOW!!!

Jinty ;)

Hi Jintyman,

Thank you for you comments, I really appreciate your kind words. :)

Yes, three 7MT's - call me crazy!! hehe

Newtz

• RMweb Gold

Only just found this topic today. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it from the beginning. I have always enjoyed shed layouts. Some excellent modelling and I look forward to following it in the future.

Gary

Hi Jonathan,

Love the layout - i'd missed this thread and a friend pointed it out - spent a happy hour reading it last night!  You have done a superb job, its very inspirational, and the locos look great.  Now watching with interest!

They are superb - would love one, but the funds don't stretch at the moment!  Watched the 9F on the Finescale Brass stand at the recent Gauge O Guild exhibition at Doncaster pottering up and down a short track for several minutes. The DCC sound on those locos really is perfect. I've heard DCC audio on steam many times and not been impressed in the slightest - but that 9F really showed what can be done.  They are better than superb!

Rich

Hello Rich,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I don't know how I missed your message.

Thank you so much for your compliments. I really appreciate the feedback and thank you also for taking the time to read through the whole thread so far. I know that I was inspired by many great layouts I saw on here and in magazines, so hopefully I can do likewise for others  :)

Warm Regards,

Newtz

I've just ordered a range of 0 gauge locomotive crews from ModelU. I'm really looking forward to these figures and seeing what detail they have been produced in. Adding more loco crews around the layout is really going to bring the scene to life so much!

Check out their website if you haven't heard of them before.

http://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

• Like 1

I find that I jump between different things to do on the layout. Today I have worked on the road bridge, something I have not touched in many months.

I cut some pieces of Balsa wood to form the walls that go either side of the bridge girders. That was easy enough, including cutting the angle for the board edges. Here are some photos that show the progress with the Balsa in place...

post-17317-0-72432800-1467794668_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-58158600-1467794692_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-19791500-1467794710_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-59212900-1467794726_thumb.jpg

And tonight I have started to add most of the brickwork, which is now 90% completed. I just need to add some edging where the walls meet the bridge girders and then when all that is dry put some coping on top.

post-17317-0-93399800-1467794791_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-44430100-1467794804_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-30661300-1467794820_thumb.jpg

I think you'll agree that this simple work has really transformed the look of this part of the layout and it is finally starting to have a lot of presence and a great look. You'll notice that I've started the weathering on the bridge girders too. I'm sure that when this is all built and weathered it will look fantastic!

• Like 6