I've spent most of my day working on the road bridge again and it is looking very good indeed! I've finished all the walls and I've made the coping too. Each wall has now been painted with a mix of thinners and black weathering powder and I'm very happy with the result. The coping has been painted in stone and once they are all dry I shall weather them too.

Lastly I have weathered and detailed the road and it looks bloody brilliant!! I have decided not to add road lines on the bridge just yet, however when I do I'll be making the white line very faint so it looks like it needs to be resealed and painted again.

As far as photos, I will take some a little later and upload but I'll wait until I have everything finished and weathered  :)

As promised, here are some photographs of the work the has been completed on the road bridge. I need to weather the coping stones and add a little more detail to the bridge as time goes on, however mostly it is finished.

You'll also be able to see the road detail more in these photos too. The look has been achieved by using Humbrol weathering powders only and smoothing with a damp brush.

post-17317-0-95623800-1468124837.jpg

post-17317-0-21911300-1468124846.jpg

post-17317-0-59623600-1468124853.jpg

You will see that I have weathered the van too, which is looking great!

post-17317-0-97714300-1468124875.jpg

post-17317-0-06232800-1468124884.jpg

And a few shots from track level to see the bridge from a different angle

post-17317-0-73402200-1468124925.jpg

post-17317-0-89537800-1468124932.jpg

post-17317-0-63801500-1468124947.jpg

• Like 11

I've been chatting with Ben Jones at BRM and when Newton Grove reaches a level of build-completion that I'm happy with I will submitting an article and photographs to appear in the publication. Who knows, I may even shoot some HD video for them too if they want it.  ;)

• Like 4

Playing around with DCC more and testing the track I'm finding that there are patches that the loco seems to drop out on and stop all together. I've given the surface of the rails a very thorough clean but this doesn't seem to achieve a result.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what other parts of the track I may need to clean to prevent these little dead spots? Do I need to clean the inside of the rail where the flange rubs on too?

Don't rely on fish plates. I take a power feed to every piece of track

That's what I've done very early in the build. No fish plates have been used at all actually.

I think it's just a matter of cleaning the track overly well and then making sure that all the loco wheels are clean on the rims and the back of the wheels for the pick-ups too.

• Like 1

With the exception of Lionheart locos, all my steam locos have been painted for me via Tower Models or from Fine Scale Brass and without exception the wheels are in a bad way with regards black paint on the flanges and rims needing a lot of cleaning.

Removing every trace takes a bit of doing as it get engrained in the wheels and does affect continuity and running. Well worth a good wheel cleaning session and defiantly pays dividends.

I've added a temporary back scene to Newton Grove today. The photo of the grey sky was captured while I was visiting Haworth in June. I'm very pleased with the result and it really brings the layout to life even more!!

post-17317-0-62431500-1468570265_thumb.jpg

And this one is a pano taken on the iPhone

post-17317-0-42018200-1468570291_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

It's amazing how much a back Scene lifts the look of the Layout

It's a really rewarding feeling when you take the first photo with it in place.

Had a similar result with Moonan Flats http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97814-7mm-modelling-down-under-moonan-flats-small-oscale-the-current-project/?p=2317247

Made the layout look a lot wider than its really is

Your back scene has done the same thing looks good, did you also get some good photos for making photo flats out of to stand in front of the Sky, on foam board between the bridge and the shed.

You may even be able to photoshop parts out of old photos around the shed and make up a good set of flats to go I front of the sky

It's looking good.

Re Cleaning the Track after all the work has been done I use one of these fleischmann-cleaning blocks (see link) the first one I got lasted 10 years just got a new one still a great product, for good cleaning of the rails also good for cleaning right into the edge of wheel flanges as the block has a nice edge when it is new

http://www.allaboardexclusive.com.au/index.php/fleischmann-ff6595-track-cleanning-rubber.html

Got it from Allaboard near Mittagong NSW order on line got it the next day as well great service can recommend this Ozzy retailer.

Really gets any gunk off with out much effort and isn't hard on the rail surface.

Edited by SMR CHRIS

It's amazing how much a back Scene lifts the look of the Layout

It's a really rewarding feeling when you take the first photo with it in place.

Had a similar result with Moonan Flats http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97814-7mm-modelling-down-under-moonan-flats-small-oscale-the-current-project/?p=2317247

Made the layout look a lot wider than its really is

Your back scene has done the same thing looks good, did you also get some good photos for making photo flats out of to stand in front of the Sky, on foam board between the bridge and the shed.

You may even be able to photoshop parts out of old photos around the shed and make up a good set of flats to go I front of the sky

It's looking good.

Re Cleaning the Track after all the work has been done I use one of these fleischmann-cleaning blocks (see link) the first one I got lasted 10 years just got a new one still a great product, for good cleaning of the rails also good for cleaning right into the edge of wheel flanges as the block has a nice edge when it is new

http://www.allaboardexclusive.com.au/index.php/fleischmann-ff6595-track-cleanning-rubber.html

Got it from Allaboard near Mittagong NSW order on line got it the next day as well great service can recommend this Ozzy retailer.

Really gets any gunk off with out much effort and isn't hard on the rail surface.

Thank you Chris,

Your layout looks amazing with the back scene!! It really does add so much depth.

I won't be putting anything in front of the back scene on Newton Grove, as the idea is that there are more tracks behind what can be seen. Having said that.....never say never

Now that I have the temporary back scene up, I've taken more photos - just for fun  :)

post-17317-0-20866500-1468615051.jpg

48773 waits in 3 road for her next call of duty

post-17317-0-75307000-1468615082.jpg

A 4F shunts some wagons of coal and ash

post-17317-0-98961600-1468615122.jpg

44871 waits over the pit, while a photographer gets a 'snap'

post-17317-0-55918600-1468615168.jpg

post-17317-0-42991500-1468615177.jpg

Just pretend that the back scene is also wrapped behind he shed  ;)

post-17317-0-68818300-1468615228.jpg

post-17317-0-82588700-1468615242.jpg

post-17317-0-82074400-1468615256.jpg

48773 slips violently on greasy rails

post-17317-0-53286800-1468615289.jpg

The crew of 43895 are busy, but looked more relaxed on this turn.

post-17317-0-02199900-1468615314.jpg

• Like 8

With the exception of Lionheart locos, all my steam locos have been painted for me via Tower Models or from Fine Scale Brass and without exception the wheels are in a bad way with regards black paint on the flanges and rims needing a lot of cleaning.

Removing every trace takes a bit of doing as it get engrained in the wheels and does affect continuity and running. Well worth a good wheel cleaning session and defiantly pays dividends.

Crumbs, that's a bit of a cop out, if the wheels are cleaned within an hour after being sprayed they can still be a right pain even though the paint will still be soft. But to leave the paint to harden is a nightmare, that is not very kind of the supplier or the sprayer. I can remove the over spray with cotton buds dipped in cellulose thinners quite easily if done within say 15 minutes of being sprayed.

That's a lot of dollars for a Brillo pad!, the good old Track rubbers from Peco aren't bad then followed by a quick wipe of thinners.

Martyn.

Crumbs, that's a bit of a cop out, if the wheels are cleaned within an hour after being sprayed they can still be a right pain even though the paint will still be soft. But to leave the paint to harden is a nightmare, that is not very kind of the supplier or the sprayer. I can remove the over spray with cotton buds dipped in cellulose thinners quite easily if done within say 15 minutes of being sprayed.

Martyn.

Got to agree with that Martyn,

The supplier should make sure the contracted sprayer cleans the wheels immediately after spraying, otherwise it becomes quite the job to get them clean.

They're not shy with the prices either!!!

Jinty ;)

That's a lot of dollars for a Brillo pad!, the good old Track rubbers from Peco aren't bad then followed by a quick wipe of thinners.

Martyn.

No "Brillo Pad" Martyn and when you consider I last purchased one over 10 years ago extremely good value try getting that out of a Peco rubber

I never use Peco rubbers as they leave a residue a rubbery substance on the rails The reason you have to use thinners after. Never had to do that with the Fleischmann cleaning block.

Re Cost as O scale modellers we have many thousand $$ or ££ worth of models on a layout and your worried by spending a few quid on some thing that will assist to make then run faultlessly

Very strange attitude I find it perplexing.

And remember it's Ozzy Dollars until recently that was equivalent to £5- £6 pounds this week it's probaly £8 average that over ten years a few Pence or about 10 Peco rubbers and a pot of thinners pile of rags the cleaning block is looking really good and cheap now.

When I exhibited my Model Railway recently, I cleaned the track on the Sat morning and that was it, the guy from the layout next to me came over at midday Saturday and asked if I was having issues with dirty track "No " he said he was and most of the others were too,

He was having to constantly clean with his Peco rubber and still having Locos stall, I gave him my Flieshman cleaning block, He came back and said couldn't believe the difference in the clean between it and the Peco and he went the rest of the day with out an issue all Sunday then came and asked to use the cleaning block before the show opened on Monday just as a precaution.

So it's not just me who could see the value in it he was going to order one straight after the show.

The paint is rock hard and of course you need to rotate the wheels to get it off all the way around so it's clean, power on, power off, clean, power on, power off etc until all the wheels are clean.

Never less than an hours worth of doing this.

Now that I have the temporary back scene up, I've taken more photos - just for fun  :)

attachicon.gifIMG_6304.jpg

48773 waits in 3 road for her next call of duty

attachicon.gifIMG_6307.jpg

A 4F shunts some wagons of coal and ash

attachicon.gifIMG_6308.jpg

44871 waits over the pit, while a photographer gets a 'snap'

attachicon.gifIMG_6309.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6311.jpg

Just pretend that the back scene is also wrapped behind he shed  ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_6317.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6318.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6320.jpg

48773 slips violently on greasy rails

attachicon.gifIMG_6322.jpg

The crew of 43895 are busy, but looked more relaxed on this turn.

attachicon.gifIMG_6319.jpg

Great set of photo's Jonathan

You are building a really good display for all your fine models getting close to having to think about the actual presentation of the layout board.