You might want to consider plastic, as it is "front silvered" and therefore avoids the gap caused by the thickness of the glass.

See Peter's thread here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88451-a-quickie-out-of-doors/?p=1911404

Best

Simon

Hello Simon,

Thank you for the tip and the link. I can see what you're talking about and I agree that it does look so much better. I'll see what I can find  :)

Regards,

Newtz

Hi Newtz, been meaning to congratulate you on your engines and atmospheric black and white pics for ages. Awesome! Keep going with the scratchbuilt shed, if it's anything like the rest of your work it will be amazing.

I've built my O gauge effort out of mainly foam board (scribed brick courses)

and card apart from windows by Townstreet and doors by York. Pits lined with plasticard and roof tiled with paper strips. It's far from good, but looks good (OK, alright) from afar!

Keep posting!

Les

Ps. Should have been some pics but obviously can't do it right yet!

Edited by Les Johnson

Hi Newtz, been meaning to congratulate you on your engines and atmospheric black and white pics for ages. Awesome! Keep going with the scratchbuilt shed, if it's anything like the rest of your work it will be amazing.

I've built my O gauge effort out of mainly foam board (scribed brick courses)

and card apart from windows by Townstreet and doors by York. Pits lined with plasticard and roof tiled with paper strips. It's far from good, but looks good (OK, alright) from afar!

Keep posting!

Les

Ps. Should have been some pics but obviously can't do it right yet!

Hello Les,

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate the feedback and comments. As you would have read, this layout is my first attempt at kit bashing and/or scratch building and there are many things to learn along the way. I'm just taking my time and not trying to rush to an end result - that way I feel sure that I will have good models when they are completed.

Thank you again.

Newtz

Finally, my air compressor is back and working as it should! I'm quite excited and I shall waste no time in using it either. I have the day free so I'm off to make a start on weathering the 'Crab'. Watch this space for updates  :)

Stage 1 of weathering on the Crab has been done and it is already looking amazing! More work to follow however here are a few photos of the weathering results so far:

post-17317-0-17984500-1447969604.jpg

post-17317-0-50203900-1447969630.jpg

post-17317-0-87559600-1447969655.jpg

post-17317-0-84443200-1447969668.jpg

post-17317-0-67359900-1447969692.jpg

post-17317-0-85519200-1447969702.jpg

And here is the crab next to 48773.

post-17317-0-02202100-1447969722.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Newtz

Sorry to grizzle, but I feel that you need to hide those slotted crankpin screws. You could fill the slots with wax, blu-tak, gum, or something else that would stay put, but can be removed reasonably easily. Painted over, it wouldn't show.

Alternatively, you could make/have made/buy some "proper" ones.

I think that they are a bit of a "sore thumb", sorry this sounds awfully critical, but I don't mean it to.

You have my permission to call me naughty names and ignore my opinion!

Best

Simon

Round #2 of adding weathering to the Crab. This time I have added detail to the tender frame, boiler barrel, smoke box, cab roof and running boards.

More to come in Round#3

post-17317-0-73819800-1448053644.jpg

post-17317-0-98621500-1448053660.jpg

post-17317-0-66603100-1448053708.jpg

post-17317-0-39430800-1448053730.jpg

post-17317-0-15309900-1448053760.jpg

Some of the weathering will be toned down later after all the other powders have been applied.

• Like 6

As Grytpype-Thynne once said in The Goon Show "Well, you can't rush these things Neddy!"That is certainly true for me as well. I have 2 black 5's in my loco fleet, one of which came factory finished in black. The other I acquired a few years later and it was not painted at all. I always said I'd get around to painting it 'one day' and early this year I painted the tender, mainly because it seemed to be the easiest part to paint. The locomotive portion went untouched - until yesterday.

Now that I have a working air compressor at my fingertips I had a flash of motivation and I took the Black 5 outside for a coat of Humbrol Satin Black. I have only painted the locomotive body, purposely leaving the chassis and wheels alone for now. I need to apply a 2nd coat of satin black to the body as there were a few areas that dried thin and you can see brass underneath it, however most of the loco body looks amazing.

Here are some photos of how the loco looks now. This will be numbered 45000 after all painting has been finished. Plates are already in my possession for it, it's just a matter of finishing them and putting them on, then adding the cabside decals.

post-17317-0-55356700-1448135002.jpg

post-17317-0-93005800-1448135017.jpg

post-17317-0-96116500-1448135039.jpg

post-17317-0-21114200-1448135050.jpg

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 11

Hi Newtz,

Must say I am very impressed with your modelling and now even more impressed that you are an Aussie quoting The Goons.

Any thoughts on adding a Super D to your roster. They were all gone by the end of 1964 so might be a little out of your time scale.

Keep up the good work, regards 9430.

also very impressed with your Goon reference! I thought you were only the age of your Shakin Stevens photo? Love the Crabs!

Here's mine(if the pic comes through) and another go at my shed(?). If it works! Black 5also looks very impressive in its first coat.

Les

Don't know what's happening to my pics!

Edited by Les Johnson

Hi Newtz,

Must say I am very impressed with your modelling and now even more impressed that you are an Aussie quoting The Goons.

Any thoughts on adding a Super D to your roster. They were all gone by the end of 1964 so might be a little out of your time scale.

Keep up the good work, regards 9430.

Hi 9430,

I have thought about a Super D. They are beautiful locomotives and I have always liked them. I might get myself one next year, but it will take a while to build the kit as there are 3 others to do first.

I was brought up with the Goon Show. Dad was born in Manchester and he grew up with them and loves the shows. He was the one who played the recordings to me and I fell in love with that sort of humor.

Warm Regards,

Newtz

also very impressed with your Goon reference! I thought you were only the age of your Shakin Stevens photo? Love the Crabs!

Here's mine(if the pic comes through) and another go at my shed(?). If it works! Black 5also looks very impressive in its first coat.

Les

Don't know what's happening to my pics!

Hi Les,

When you reply, you click on 'Reply with attachments'. After that you choose a file to put into your post, then you have to click 'Ads to Post' on the file (you have a 'add to post/cancel' option) when you see it uploaded. That will put it into the text body. After that you hit the black box that says Post and that will work for you.

Also, Shakin Stevens?!?! I may like the song 'This Ol' House' but I think that's where it ends. haha.

I'm full of Goon Show references, so I'll be sure t crack them out more often.

Warm Regards,

Newtz

Edited by Newtz1981

I have taken a tip from BRM magazine, of which I subscribe to digitally. In a recent video of theirs they show how to produce good looking brickwork. Easy enough technique, so I've given it a go.

The model was sprayed in grey primer and once dry I went over the walls with thinned down, very thin, 'Buff' colour paint. This of course gives the mortar course that great look. 2 coats were applied and each coat was dried within minutes with a hair dryer. After that I purchased a cheap set of colour pencils from a local stationary store. I used three shades of red/brown to create the look of the bricks. The light shade was applied all over very strongly, then the medium brown was applied less heavily and then the dark brown was shaded on lightly with a few harder patches here and there.

Result look very pleasing, as you'll see.

post-17317-0-77937200-1448236727.jpg

post-17317-0-18343800-1448236745.jpg

post-17317-0-41607000-1448236760.jpg

post-17317-0-21207800-1448236777.jpg

After the walls were finished I sprayed a coat of matt hair spray all over to seal the colour. Then I painted the three doors a nice shade of green.

post-17317-0-30508800-1448236829.jpg

Next step will probably be constructing the roof, or just painting and weathering the building more.

• Like 10

I have taken a tip from BRM magazine, of which I subscribe to digitally. In a recent video of theirs they show how to produce good looking brickwork. Easy enough technique, so I've given it a go.

The model was sprayed in grey primer and once dry I went over the walls with thinned down, very thin, 'Buff' colour paint. This of course gives the mortar course that great look. 2 coats were applied and each coat was dried within minutes with a hair dryer. After that I purchased a cheap set of colour pencils from a local stationary store. I used three shades of red/brown to create the look of the bricks. The light shade was applied all over very strongly, then the medium brown was applied less heavily and then the dark brown was shaded on lightly with a few harder patches here and there.

Result look very pleasing, as you'll see.

attachicon.gifIMG_5963.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5964.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5966.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5968.jpg

After the walls were finished I sprayed a coat of matt hair spray all over to seal the colour. Then I painted the three doors a nice shade of green.

attachicon.gifIMG_5973.jpg

Next step will probably be constructing the roof, or just painting and weathering the building more.

I think I shall try this method. Up to now my method for embossed brickwork ends up with me painting a lot of individual bricks. The result looks good, but getting there is tedious and very, very boring.

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet...... but you may find this useful Chris;

http://www.protomodeler.com/index.php?/topic/2646-colouring-styrene-brick-sheet-with-soft-crayon-pencils/

Nice work on the buildings Newtz.

I find that an off white works nicely as well for mortar courses,and add`s a little interest.

Cheers,

Brian.

Nice work on the bricks...the beauty of the method is that you can do different shades, or even clean/dirty as required, just like in real life.

Edited by JeffP

http://www.protomodeler.com/index.php?/topic/2646-colouring-styrene-brick-sheet-with-soft-crayon-pencils/

I find that an off white works nicely as well for mortar courses,and add`s a little interest.

Cheers,

Brian.

Wow that walling is something else Brian, so once you seal it with Dullcote does that mean its safe to handle then ?

Regards,

Martyn.

Wow that walling is something else Brian, so once you seal it with Dullcote does that mean its safe to handle then ?

Regards,

Martyn.

If you mean the first couple of photo`s Martyn,then i can`t lay claim to those as there not mine!.But a modeller called Ray Warner.

And yes, once sealed you can handle them as much as you want.

Cheers,

Brian.

Sorry for the slight hijack Newtz!.....

• Like 1

Cheers,

Brian.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for sharing that link. The modeling is amazing and very inspirational!

I appreciate your feedback too. Very encouraging  :)

Warm Regards,

Newtz

Playing around with the camera again today, here are a few snaps around Newton Grove.

post-17317-0-24402700-1448331640.jpg

Crab 42851 shunts empty 16t wagons around the yard

post-17317-0-66968600-1448331650.jpg

48773 is on shed with Black 5 44871

post-17317-0-49043100-1448331669.jpg

42851 crawls past the boffy with its short train of empties

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 5

Lovely layout. Needs a few shrubs or some nice Brambles to add some additional greenery.

D.

Thank you D. It is far from finished though.

Adding shrubs and brambles? You do realise this is an MPD layout, not a country halt or mainline station.

When you reply, you click on 'Reply with attachments'. After that you choose a file to put into your post, then you have to click 'Ads to Post' on the file (you have a 'add to post/cancel' option) when you see it uploaded. That will put it into the text body. After that you hit the black box that says Post and that will work for you.

Trying again Newts!post-24654-0-49282800-1448397231.jpeg

Colonel Bloodnock sits down and puts one leg on a stool, turns to Bluebottle and says 'Take my boots/welling tons off, Bluebottle' then shouts 'And don't wear them again!'

Sorry about that, couldn't resist!

Lespost-24654-0-49282800-1448397231.jpegpost-24654-0-49282800-1448397231.jpeg

post-24654-0-13154800-1448397575.jpeg

Edited by Les Johnson
  • Like 4