Scottish DMU Formations

luckymucklebackit

Thats interesting. I have a hazy memory of being told that the service originated at Perth and was pulled by whatever was lying about Perth.

Had some memorable haulage and photos of this train in 82/83/84.

Balmossie to Broughty Ferry behind locos such as 40 184 and 47 001- all for 10p!!!!

Maybe need to start a new topic re this train and leave the DMU thread alone... ;oD

Thats interesting. I have a hazy memory of being told that the service originated at Perth and was pulled by whatever was lying about Perth.

Had some memorable haulage and photos of this train in 82/83/84.

Balmossie to Broughty Ferry behind locos such as 40 184 and 47 001- all for 10p!!!!

Maybe need to start a new topic re this train and leave the DMU thread alone... ;oD

16.03 ex GQS. Away from Dundee 17.55 and into Arbroath 18.29.

A couple more less than perfect images that were found during a search tonight. 

These DMU Formations were running for a few days only specifically because of the Open Championship at Muirfield. The images are at Craigentinny and date from 1980 and 1987 respectively. 

As a golfer in my youth I did once get to play Muirfield off the Championship tees as they had recently held the Walker Cup. No crowd but still very sobering for what is ahead when you walk onto the first tee and the standard club medal markers are ahead of you. My partner for the day managed to putt off the first green as they were so so fast. Another player that day was pleased to score 112 especially as he parred all 4 par threes on the course!  

post-16796-0-70122300-1423080483_thumb.jpeg

• 7 months later...

I have an early video that I made when Tay Bridge was stii semaphore and you could film from the bridge looking down at the crossovers and box.

27001 was departing and an Aberdeen express probably 47 hauled occupied the main Down platform.

While it was still stopped the Bubblecar came sloping down the hill and stopped just behind the last coach.

When the Aberdeen departed the Bubblecar moved forward and stopped and loaded for Arbroath with the appropriate station announcement being heard on the tannoy.

Great days.

Dave. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hallo,

anyone out there able to reduce a photo to 1MB? I took a photo of a print I have from pre 1976 of a 120 at Elgin, and, well, smartphones are too good, and I can only set the size so that the file is 1,3MB. I would send you a good quality ((3,4MB) so it can be reduced.

Thanks in advance

es grüßt

pc

Set 107 432 lost its centre car about 1989 and ran as a two-car set.  This created real problems with overcrowding on peak hour trains on the Glasgow - Edinburgh via Shotts line. It later regained its centre.

Later, in 1990/91, sets 027, 029, 030 and 034 lost their centre cars.

Does anyone know why this happened?  A class 107 centre car, 59794, was stored at Neville Hill (Leeds) but never used.

Set numbers were changed from 107 4xx to 107 7xx to 107 0xx to accommodate the new second generation units.

Frank

Hello.

59794 was an odd vehicle. I (still) remember seeing it in the Combined Volumes of the mid 1980s being allocated to Buxton, then Newton Heath. It was the only Class 107 vehicle allocated outside of Scotland. Not sure when it first went south, or why.

When the "send every spare first generation DMU vehicle to Scotland" happened I was waiting for this trailer, the only 107 vehicle that I had not seen, to be repatriated but I don't think it ever was. This is from memory, and now 25 years ago (yikes!) so I stand to be corrected...

Later, in 1990/91, sets 027, 029, 030 and 034 lost their centre cars.

Does anyone know why this happened?

Pretty much for the same reason as the renumbering, realignment with 15X 2 car DMU

There was also a slight improvement in timetable performance which was required as some services had their journey times revised as they had fully swapped over to Class 156 or 158

However, there was still a lack of Class 156 for all services as new Class 158 units were still being introduced and the full cascade was not quite complete

The older DMU were examined and those in better condition were selected for further use

Almost all the Class 101 were deemed to be poor condition

OK, I have just proved that you are never too old to learn

Hope this is good enough for the collection. It was taken on a Kodak Instamatic (really) and the film was one of those cartridges. No Hi-Tech back then. The print is almost 30yrs old, so we must thank Boots the Chemist for the quality.

es grüßt

pc

post-10017-0-74144900-1445773910_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Back in the days when any serviceable DMU vehicle was sent north of the border. It was interesting in that you never knew what was coming around the bend. Also gave teenage enthusiasts opportunities to see Classes that had not ventured north before, or had not been seen in that part of the world for some years.

Plain blue existed on 104s, 105s, and some 116 middle coaches. Those that had not passed through the refurbishment process in the 1970s and 1980s.

OK, I have just proved that you are never too old to learn

Hope this is good enough for the collection. It was taken on a Kodak Instamatic (really) and the film was one of those cartridges. No Hi-Tech back then. The print is almost 30yrs old, so we must thank Boots the Chemist for the quality.

es grüßt

pc

This looks like a westbound Aberdeen-Inverness working about to depart Elgin - presumably waiting to cross an eastbound train, as the starting signal hasn't been cleared and there appear to be intending passengers on the near platform.  Date probably not much later than the mid-1970s as the unit appears to be in all-blue and carries an oil tail-lamp - pics on RailScot show some of these sets in blue/grey with electric tail-lamps by 1978.

Alasdair 

Don't think i've seen this livery combo before - I thought plain blue would've disappeared by August 1986

Looks like 105 DMBS, 101 TS and 107 DMS

https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=18149

I remember this combination running about for a few weeks

The Class 105 did not last long, as electrification saw the demise of many of the imported units

From memory there was a second such Rail Blue Class 105, but it lasted only a few days

There was a continuous cascade of rolling stock and a few weeks later the Class 107 units temporarily taken out of service and replaced by Class 120

Hallo Alasdair,

yes westbound Aberdeen to Inverness. The westbound service nearly always arrived before the eastbund service allowing a good photo. If I remember correctly the services were approx 20minutes past the hour at Elgin every two hours (no Sunday Service)

I used to go to the station to get the morning P&J and "Pandrops" - my excuse to see the trains. This was probably the (circa) 09:20. My last trip to Elgin was 1978 after which my grandparents moved south of the border.

And back then there was also almost always a Class26 in the goods yard which I could very often hear from the front of my gandparents house. Fantastic memories

es grüßt

pc  

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I posted the following link in another thread, but thought I'd post it here as some might find it useful.

Iain Logan's Electric Soup website has two sets of Scottish destination blinds for printing off - one older set (gill sans) and one newer (rail alphabet):

http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/modelrail/free.html

(There are also some British Railways totems for station signs etc)

two sets of Scottish destination blinds for printing off -

one newer (rail alphabet)

I have yet to unbox my two Graham Farish Class 101 (motor car out of the box for testing only)

I thought the destination blind was illuminated, so replacing it would lose this effect?

It is good that it is based on a Scottish Class 101, from memory it is "Edinburgh" and I can use the "Stirling"

Would be useful to replace with "Falkirk Grahamston"

• RMweb Premium

I thought the destination blind was illuminated, so replacing it would lose this effect?

TBH I hadn't thought about that!

I wonder if it'll still be OK even with normal paper, given how bright any LEDs seem to be these days? Or maybe use a thinner paper?

Of course, the real things wouldn't be too bright to begin with, just being lit with a couple of bulbs.

• RMweb Gold

I posted the following link in another thread, but thought I'd post it here as some might find it useful.

Iain Logan's Electric Soup website has two sets of Scottish destination blinds for printing off - one older set (gill sans) and one newer (rail alphabet):

http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/modelrail/free.html

(There are also some British Railways totems for station signs etc)

Hi all,

These files are also available on the Scottish Modellers Yahoo group.

At one point I think Ian was worried about losing them if his website went down and I agreed to host them - just in case.

There are a number of other files or scans of similar interest on my back up drive that I took down but will try and make a list and see if I can put them somewhere for easy access.

At one point I supplied a list of Scottish destinations to (I think) Howes - Railmatch and these were released in the early 80's. I think I still have the masters for them  and will try to find and make them available as well.

Thanks

Archived