Ex WD Baldwin 4-6-0 in 7mm or On30

Jeff Smith

CW railways can print you a body with you sorting out a chassis the web site only says abaout 4mm OO9 ones but i have seen a 7mm one there are all but no print lines I will be getting one soon the was chat on another forum that it uses a Hornby Terrier 0-6-0

http://www.cwrailways.com/baldwins.html

I have built a 4mm one link here

http://scalerail.phpbbhosts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=1275&start=26

• 3 weeks later...

7mm drawings I have of the (GVT) Baldwin show bar frames and a gap running the full length under the boiler and footplate.  The firebox does not even come down as far as the top of the frames.  Some compromise in appearance would have to be made to get the drive down to the wheels.

Driving wheels = 1'11.5", unequally spaced, 5'10" wheelbase.

Bogie wheels = 1'4", on approx. 3'6" centres.

Overall wheelbase = 12'2"

The Terrier has roughly the right sized wheels (a bit big at 16mm) but equispaced at 24mm, whereas the 7mm Baldwin is 23.5mm and 17.5mm and needs 14mm wheels. This would be quite noticeable.

Terrier dimensions taken from the Gibson catalogue. I don't actually know the Hornby dimensions.

Nothing listed at this time - was it a complete kit, ie chassis too?

It was, although the chassis is rather crude.

I'm in the process of developing a replacement etched chassis for the Wrightlines Baldwins I have to build.

It's designed for O14 and I'm expecting the first test etch this week.

The plan is for a gearbox in the firebox.

Hopefully it'll be a straight replacement for the Wrightlines chassis, it might also work for the 3D print mentioned above with a few tweaks.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Yes and they do turn up on eBay. It's the best kit I've seen, have a look on the Bridport and Charmouth threads by Dave Taylor as I believe his are Wrightlines based though Dave is such a good scratchbuilder they might be heavily modified ;)

Search for Wrightlines Baldwin images on google and you'll get an idea of what you get. It's either scratchbuild a chassis for the Chris Ward one, set up an eBay search or see if the 7mm NGA have one on their secondhand stall at shows.

Hi Mike,

I too have a wrightlines kit, but mine is sitting untouched in it's box.

I was a little disappointed with the chassis. Nothing wrong with it, just a bit heavy - the part at the back under the cab is very thin on the prototype - I think it's welded bar, rather than plate frame. Anyway the chap who I asked to build the loco for me suggested a milled chassis and maybe even replacement etches for the cab.

I could be very interested in your chassis etch, would love to see some pictures when it's done.

Best, Tim

Archived