Continuing with Glyncorrwg and Paxman's, interesting shots showing (a)  the recovery of runaway D9529, and ( B)  a failed D9544 being rescued by a 'six-eighter' can be found here:-

http://www.tymawrpublications.co.uk/Resources/Articles/10-16%20Brian%20Penney%20part1.pdf

Brian R

Great stuff. My father took a quick look at those and reckoned the phot of the 37 and D9544 was taken at Abergwynfi rather than Glyncorrwg but that is based on memory from 45+ years ago. He will check his photo's.

Now for a real challenge. Does anyone have any evidence for Westerns working through Rhondda Tunnel? I was told some years ago at least one of them allegedly went that way on a sleeper in the aftermath of the Bridgend derailment / collision involving D1671 and D6983...

• RMweb Gold

To join Gareth's Teddy bear fest, another recent eBay purchase, and how I remember the class 14s best in the 1970s/1980s as ex BR industrials. NCB no 38 (D9513) at Ashington colliery in May 1980, I won one of these which were a batch of 4 on eBay yesterday.post-6925-0-53362800-1430950350_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 12

Great stuff. My father took a quick look at those and reckoned the phot of the 37 and D9544 was taken at Abergwynfi rather than Glyncorrwg but that is based on memory from 45+ years ago. He will check his photo's.

Now for a real challenge. Does anyone have any evidence for Westerns working through Rhondda Tunnel? I was told some years ago at least one of them allegedly went that way on a sleeper in the aftermath of the Bridgend derailment / collision involving D1671 and D6983...

Hi Steve

Yes i have i worked a few blokes who told me the sleepers, mail trains ran that way after the Bridgend derailment so it's very highly likely there were Westerns somewhere.

Also what about a Hymek over Crumlin viaduct,1963  a mate of mine who was a Signalman on the VON told me towards the end a Hymek with a Inspection saloon came up from the

Neath direction no photo sorry.

D1054 Western Governer took the Royal train to Merthyr with Queen after the Aberfan incident 1966.

I have photo somewhere of a Hymek on a breakdown train at Ystrad Mymach in 1967.

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Hi Steve

Yes i have i worked a few blokes who told me the sleepers, mail trains ran that way after the Bridgend derailment so it's very highly likely there were Westerns somewhere.

Also what about a Hymek over Crumlin viaduct,1963  a mate of mine who was a Signalman on the VON told me towards the end a Hymek with a Inspection saloon came up from the

D1054 Western Governer took the Royal train to Merthyr with Queen after the Aberfan incident 1966.

I have photo somewhere of a Hymek on a breakdown train at Ystrad Mymach in 1967.

Cheers GARETH

Hi Steve

Thanks, Gareth. Good to have a second source.

On the subject of Aberfan, I used to work with someone from there who I asked about a Teddy Bear working I'd heard about twenty or more years ago. My original source told me there used to be a very early morning parcels train worked by a D95xx from Cardiff to Merthyr which used to work back at something like 05:00 and was available for passengers but was unadvertised (it had a BSK in the formation). Anyway, I'd never heard this mentioned anywhere else so had sort of dismissed it but the bloke from Aberfan said he remembered it - he was 16 in 1965, I think. I don't think it was advertised and understand it could only done back to Cardiff. Not sure which year(s) this is supposed to have worked but the fact two independent sources told me the same thing a couple of decades apart leads me to believe there is more than a grain of truth in it. Anyone got a working timetable from the period?

Hi Chaps

Couple more for you

Peak and D9502 at Derby

D9527 BTM

D9527 AND 4f

D9521

cHEERS gareth

PS If your getting bored with just say and I'll stop

Whatever you do, please don't stop!

On the subject of Aberfan, I used to work with someone from there who I asked about a Teddy Bear working I'd heard about twenty or more years ago. My original source told me there used to be a very early morning parcels train worked by a D95xx from Cardiff to Merthyr which used to work back at something like 05:00 and was available for passengers but was unadvertised (it had a BSK in the formation). Anyway, I'd never heard this mentioned anywhere else so had sort of dismissed it but the bloke from Aberfan said he remembered it - he was 16 in 1965, I think. I don't think it was advertised and understand it could only done back to Cardiff. Not sure which year(s) this is supposed to have worked but the fact two independent sources told me the same thing a couple of decades apart leads me to believe there is more than a grain of truth in it. Anyone got a working timetable from the period?

Was this a newspaper working? I think Brian Rolley's mentioned such things in the past; doubtless, he's checking his notebooks as I type this...

Was this a newspaper working? I think Brian Rolley's mentioned such things in the past; doubtless, he's checking his notebooks as I type this...

Hi

Yes the Teds were used on Cardiff to Merthyr Parcels by night worked by Radyr men, a few of the hands i worked with at Radyr use to tell me that they always stopped at Black Lion box to allow the engine to cool down.Teds also worked coal trains to Merthyr as well.here's 48 in Merthyr coal yard 66

Also Teds were outstabled at Treherbert sometimes.

Cheers GARETH

• Like 8

Hi

Yes the Teds were used on Cardiff to Merthyr Parcels by night worked by Radyr men, a few of the hands i worked with at Radyr use to tell me that they always stopped at Black Lion box to allow the engine to cool down.Teds also worked coal trains to Merthyr as well.here's 48 in Merthyr coal yard 66

Cheers GARETH

I wonder what those Banana Vans are doing there? Were Man playing locally? They weren't used for fitted heads on coal trains that early, as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Fat Controller

Re:- D9502 passing Derby behind a Peak.

On 30/06/1969 D6607 left Canton hauling D9502, D9514, D9518 & D9527 to Gloucester.

The four 'nine fivers' were snapped on Horton Road depot by several enthusiasts (one shot  http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p86759201/he93ba79#he93ba79. is dated 04/07/1969)

All four locos had been purchased by the NCB North East Region and were en-route to the Ashington complex.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Altho' I was a regular at the lineside by 1965, my parents would have something to say if there 9yr old was slipping out for 05:00am.

My notes and research start a bit later, and are at home - off the top of my head tho'..........................

By 1971 there was a BCK on a Sundays only early morning Cardiff - Treherbert working that conveyed two GUVs off the 00:55 ex-Padd.

This employed a Cl.37 outbased at Radyr.

The BCK had worked up from Swansea earlier  

By then Merthyr had a parcels/news working that didn't have passenger stock attached,

There was also an early Cardiff - Merthyr DMU that was only advertised to Ponty but conveyed mails to Merthyr.

In the mid-60s there had been a (Sunday ?) Cardiff - Rhymney DMU with a 'swinger' on the back (e.g. ex-LMS 50' BG), but by 1971/72 that too was a DMU that also carried 'mails etc'

In addition there were two loco hauled weekday Cardiff - Ponty parcels workings that could be a solitary GUV, and that was either a Cl.37 or Hymek, and later occasionally a Cl.25.

Brian R

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

D9502 must have been the most photted Ted - rather surprising given it had two periods of storage at Worcester.

So a thought came to me last night with all this Ted froth. Would there be support for an rmweb Ted charter on the dean forest? Have chartered there before and would be happy to investigate.

Cheers phil

Thanks for the link Brian. I love the superb portrait of D7025 at Tyseley.

As for Gareth's excellent collection of class 14 pictures, all I can say is that it's the first time I have seen such extensive evidence that the class did actually do some useful work!

Yes, and it also suggests that the decision to withdraw the class wholesale was somewhat shortsighted, as their use on PW trains seems to have been appreciated by some depots.

Altho' I was a regular at the lineside by 1965, my parents would have something to say if there 9yr old was slipping out for 05:00am.

My notes and research start a bit later, and are at home - off the top of my head tho'..........................

By 1971 there was a BCK on a Sundays only early morning Cardiff - Treherbert working that conveyed two GUVs off the 00:55 ex-Padd.

By then Merthyr had a parcels/news working that didn't have passenger stock attached,

There was also an early Cardiff - Merthyr DMU that was only advertised to Ponty but conveyed mails to Merthyr.

In the mid-60s there had been a (Sunday ?) Cardiff - Rhymney DMU with a 'swinger' on the back (e.g. ex-LMS 50' BG), but by 1971/72 that too was a DMU that also carried 'mails etc'

In addition there were two loco hauled weekday Cardiff - Ponty parcels workings that could be a solitary GUV, and that was either a Cl.37 or Hymek, and later occasionally a Cl.25.

Brian R

Hi Brian

Yes the morning parcels to Pontypridd could turn up with anything 25/31/35/37 all finished about 1977. 

The evening parcels to Pontypridd was a L/E off Radyr worked by Radyr men up to Ponty pick up and bring the vans down for Cardiff.

Then the night Parcels was L/E off Radyr to Cardiff work the vans to Ponty back to Cardiff L/E pick up the vans for Ponty and Merthyr.

About 1977 they introduced the DMU as a Parcels for Merthyr then it would work the first passenger down in the morning this was so they could close the traincrew depot at

Merthyr and stop leaving the DMU at Merthyr over night. 

Cheers GARETH

Not sure. All I was told was it was something which conveyed a BSK so could have been newspapers or parcels.

Hi

Cheers GARETH

Thanks, Gareth. Sounds like this was the working I was told about.

Brian R

Thanks, Brian, interesting stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure. All I was told was it was something which conveyed a BSK so could have been newspapers or parcels.

03.45 Cardiff General - Merthyr News & Mails  (well that's what it was in 1973, worked by a Radyr EE Type 3 diagram), I believe it might have departed at 03.15 at some time.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Continuing with Glyncorrwg and Paxman's, interesting shots showing (a)  the recovery of runaway D9529, and ( B)  a failed D9544 being rescued by a 'six-eighter' can be found here:-

http://www.tymawrpublications.co.uk/Resources/Articles/10-16%20Brian%20Penney%20part1.pdf

Brian R

Well, my old man's checked his slides and confirms the phot of D6973+D9544 is definitely at Abergwynfi, not Glyncorrwg.

Thinking about I doubt it could have been at Glyncorrwg as I suspect 37's were banned there due to the weak viaduct at Cymmer. That would also explain why 08's took over from Teddy Bears, not something bigger and faster.

Did anyone win the slide of D6348 at Gloucester in 1969 from Ebay?

I did add a crafty bid, but it went for £7.49 and I didn't want to end up in a bidding war with another RMwebber.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35mm-Slide-BR-British-Railways-Diesel-Loco-Class-22-D6348-Gloucester-1969-Orig-/361282309507?

Edited by jonny777