Meanwhile one of the ten or so that I won, and not watermarked I'd post the rest if they didn't have the watermark.

D841 Roebuck at Newton Abbot, 20th August 1969.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

Just a Quick question, to any one in the know:

When was the siding to the extreme left, lifted.

I seem to recall seeing  D6333 , shunting parcels, into that line.

Whilst going back to Paignton , on one of our day trips out , on a Wallace Arnold bus.

• RMweb Gold

Just a Quick question, to any one in the know:

When was the siding to the extreme left, lifted.

I seem to recall seeing  D6333 , shunting parcels, into that line.

Whilst going back to Paignton , on one of our day trips out , on a Wallace Arnold bus.

The dock sidings were removed in Feb 1965.

• RMweb Gold

One languishing in the BiN list of copyright negs on eBay. A bit pricey as the original seems underexposed - played with a bit using the iPad software. My resistance crumbled this morning as images of MFYE warships are comparatively rare. D817 Foxhound in the company of D823 Hermes withdrawn at Old Oak Common, December 1971. Within a month the whole fleet were gone.

post-6925-0-32796300-1436086939_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 12

I was involved in a frenetic series of bids last night on some superb hydraulic images that have appeared on eBay over the last few weeks. Unfortunately I lost all but one I bid on, all late 60s/early 70s...........If you won them feel free to post in this thread ;).

Neil

Hello Neil,

Pity about losing out on ebay.

I wonder who wins these auctions? Are you always bidding against the same person?

Pity they're not as generous as yourself in sharing the pictures. Wonder if they just get stored-away somewhere and never see the light of day again. Or maybe it's a publishing house saving images for future publication.

Regards,

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wish I knew Peter - before eBay anonymised bidders, you could recognise who won.

It maybe private collectors or publication houses building collections for books, but I can't see them being an investment. In twenty years who will be interested in the hydraulic era? I agree though - they should appear in the public domain. The photo of the three Westerns at Wootton Basset en route for Swindon hauled by D1040 defies the current scrapping arrival dates of the three, only of which D1069 is one I suspect is in the train, the other two are a mystery. It was also informative to see a brake van in the consist. I'd seen D1005 hauling D1044 and D1029 in March 1975, but don't recollect the brake van. I'm toying with modelling a "Swindon scrapper" with my old Lima and GBL models at some point, so these photos are invaluable for such information.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• 2 weeks later...

D817, "Foxhound", my first Warship, Paddington, Summer 1960.........I was 8. I got half an hour, then my dad had had enough.

Four Kings, two Castles, can't remember what else.

I don't buy many hydraulic images on Ebay, mainly because I can't afford the prices most of them go for, but I picked this up for the surprisingly small cost of £1.50.

Ok, so it is not from the heyday era, and the shot of the whole loco is rather obscured, but it is now part of history and was a big event at the time.

29th January 1977, D1023 stands at Crewe on the Western Memorial railtour, from Paddington to Crewe, Chester and Wrexham. 

post-4474-0-45135700-1436963568.jpg

• Like 6

Half obscured / blurred / out of focus / upside down / back to front - it matters not, what matters is that the photo exists at all and you've been happy to share it on here with like minded obsessives like the rest of us!

(Thankyou!)

Edited by Rugd1022

Did the Hunslet drawing office have a Western GA drawing to hand, when they set to on this design ?

http://www.steamtrainsireland.com/images/photonews/110608/42.jpg

Brian R

Probably not, but I wouldn't put it past Hunslet to copy it: they once produced a ballast cleaner, I think it was, with cab styled to resemble a Met Camm DMU.

Adam

Edited by Adam

I don't buy many hydraulic images nowadays as I have lots already, but this one did come my way:

19076602003_401633304d.jpgD860_D823_D819_Exeter_1A39_7-9-68 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

The image appeared in Railway Magazine in 1968.  Apparently all three were under power and D860 was added between Plymouth and Taunton, possibly as a positioning move.

I vaguely recall seeing that in Dad's copy of RM.

Imagine the noise!

• RMweb Gold

Burnt out July's budget on copyright hydraulic images this weekend.

First, apologies for the copyright mark - it is mine now. D818 Glory complete with Red nameplate Exeter St David's, November 1972 nearing the end. I've been on the lookout for a good one of 818 with red backed nameplates and paid a tidy sum for it.

post-6925-0-96179500-1437338027_thumb.jpg

Next D6306 at an unknown location and date - looks like Exeter again, any pointers gratefully received.

post-6925-0-71804300-1437338010_thumb.jpg

Finally D7043 at Temple Meads on 12th July 1970- just a lovely shot I had to win it.

post-6925-0-71287100-1437337992_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

To complete July's ration some Westerns

First D1005 on the Atlantic Venturer Express, 22nd September 1973, Bristol Temple Meads

post-6925-0-80033500-1437339502_thumb.jpg

An unknown Western and date at Exeter St David's - will need to do some detective work

post-6925-0-74082600-1437339516_thumb.jpg

Finally D1044 Western Duchess at Dawlish, 10th July 1971.

post-6925-0-61262400-1437339539_thumb.jpg

Neil

• Like 12

Next D6306 at an unknown location and date - looks like Exeter again, any pointers gratefully received.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

I would agree with D6306 at St Davids, it is photographed from platform 1

it is standing in platform 3 and that is a set of Southern stock by the look of it, waiting to go up to Exeter Central 

cheers

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Neil

Further to my previous comment about D6306 at Exeter St Davids,  think it may be on one of the WR/SR exchange workings

whereby Western and Southern crews worked between Exeter and Plymouth via the other Regions route.

In Modern Locomotives Illustrated no.197 page 48, D6306 is seen at Cowley Bridge on one of those workings on 4th July 1961,

and is showing the same disc code, there is another photo on page 56 of a similar working with D6304 and D6303 in August 1959 

cheers 

• Like 1

Judging by the condition of the loco and the coaching stock, I'd say the D10XX shot at Exeter is 1962-65. Flatbottom track on up main platform - wonder when that first appeared?

This photo of D818 at Exeter shows that platform 5 was already laid with flatbottom track on 5th August 1961

https://www.flickr.com/photos/andersley_images/6146524951/in/photolist-cy2GSb-an9xJ8-4JVX83-9uoaxY-b8Sdgk 

When were the totem style station signs, as seen behind the Western, changed to the newer BR style?

cheers

Kevin, the old WR brown and cream enamel signage at Exeter was replaced around 1967 / 68 going by various pics I have in my archive. At some of the larger stations on the WR it was a very gradual process with some stations having GW wooden, BR enamel and BR corporate image style in the same period for a while.

Some WR stations were re-signed much later than others - Maidenhead was done as late as 1970, I have a battered but much treasured totem from here which was saved from a skip in the station car park that year by the chap I bought it from.

Edit : Neil, your D1044 shot is at Dawlish Warren!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1