• RMweb Premium

Oooo just found this whilst looking for something else

Look at those lovely proper timber wagons ............. hurry up with that kit Cambrian !!

Thank you Mr Kirkham

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10420581475/in/photostream/

You're very welcome.

Let's see it properly.

10420581475_2392fa2830_z.jpgNOV 72 01. 7100 approaching Parson Street with a train of woodpulp from Portishead, October or November by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Here's another of my shots which I managed to scrape off an old hard drive today. Western Dragoon acts as a super-shunter at Lostwithiel in June 1974. Offhand, I can't recall whether it was picking up or dropping off vehicles, but the driver was certainly giving it some stick - presumably because the train was blocking the down Cornish main line!

post-7291-0-40399100-1447695051_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

This contribution is, I regret to say, technically poor. However, I thought these two images might be of interest to fans of the hydraulics.

The first image dates from November 1973 and was shot through the window of a Mk2 coach passing Swindon at speed. It is, of course, Glory awaiting its fate and I'm afraid the original slide is rather grubby.

post-7291-0-44839000-1447870307_thumb.jpg

The second image shows Western Duke passing Dawlish. It was a rather less than successful attempt at panning, yet I think it still conveys the power and grace of the Westerns.

post-7291-0-91482000-1447870321_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Yet another shot from June 1974, scanned from a transparency and featuring an unidentified Western. My notes, albeit sketchy, suggest the location is somewhere near Grampound Road. Certainly, the next slide in the sequence was taken at St Austell. Perhaps one of our Cornish brethren could comment?

post-7291-0-79969700-1448098941_thumb.jpg

This location was interesting, in that another photographer arrived after my mate and I had set up. The new arrival was using an elderly Pentax SLR, while I was shooting on a (then) new Minolta SRT303 and my mate had a nearly new Pentax Spotmatic ES2. Later, we saw the other photographer's images published and it turned out to be Philip D. Hawkins. His pictures were much better than ours too, proving that it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it ;) .

• Like 13

Yet another shot from June 1974, scanned from a transparency and featuring an unidentified Western. My notes, albeit sketchy, suggest the location is somewhere near Grampound Road. Certainly, the next slide in the sequence was taken at St Austell. Perhaps one of our Cornish brethren could comment?

attachicon.gifTX1122LR.jpg

This location was interesting, in that another photographer arrived after my mate and I had set up. The new arrival was using an elderly Pentax SLR, while I was shooting on a (then) new Minolta SRT303 and my mate had a nearly new Pentax Spotmatic ES2. Later, we saw the other photographer's images published and it turned out to be Philip D. Hawkins. His pictures were much better than ours too, proving that it's not what you've got, it's what you do with it ;) .

He may have had an old Pentax, but it would depend on the lens he was using.

I had an old OM1 mainly because David Bailey used to have one, but the Olympus lenses were what nailed it for me.  I did succomb to a cheaper telephoto lens with an OM adapter, but the results were never as sharp as the originals.

• Like 1

This is my earliest colour attempt at a photo of a Western; at Paddington in Feb 1972.

I am amazed that even this level of detail can be obtained from a 43 year old transparency taken with an instamatic camera.

If anyone would care to have a go at ID I would be very pleased.

post-4474-0-00567800-1448123779.jpg

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

He may have had an old Pentax, but it would depend on the lens he was using.

I had an old OM1 mainly because David Bailey used to have one, but the Olympus lenses were what nailed it for me.  I did succomb to a cheaper telephoto lens with an OM adapter, but the results were never as sharp as the originals.

Yes, I appreciate it's the lens rather than the camera in terms of picture quality (and film too), but in the case I was referring to (not the shot above), it was the composition that beat my efforts.

The Rokkor on my Minolta wasn't that good, but my mate's Pentax had the Super Takumar IIRC. I don't recall what lens PDH was using.

Between Grampound Road and St Austell, Coombe (St Stephen) Viaduct seems to fit the bill,

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider

Yes, I appreciate it's the lens rather than the camera in terms of picture quality (and film too), but in the case I was referring to (not the shot above), it was the composition that beat my efforts.

There is nothing wrong with that composition.

You have to accept that the composition favoured by a Western enthusiast would differ from that of a 'countryside with train' enthusiast.

• RMweb Gold

Still quietly accruing slides, some absolute corkers on eBay recently.

Two quick ones taken from eBay listings of which I now own the originals

First is D1002 in my favourite Western livery, MFYE at Reading in 1970, amongst my favourite slides now, and on my home screen on my work iPad -.you'd be amazed by how many colleagues comment along the lines "lovely pic of a Western, did you take it?"

Next D6334 approaching Teignmouth, this was a "copyright Unknown" purchase, so if it's a commercial one or someone claims copyright I'll take it down, but certainly not one I've seen before. Only two further NBLs were delivered minus yellow panels - edit image removed due to copyright.

post-6925-0-33176100-1448482094_thumb.jpeg

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike - I did wonder why there were three tracks in the photo. Many slides come with no information re date or location, so posting on RmWeb is highly useful for gleaning information such as this.

Post edited

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First is D1002 in my favourite Western livery, MFYE at Reading in 1970....

This is certainly an interesting shot, not least for the 2BIL in the SR platform. What a great find.

Edited by Trevellan

Yaaay.

I remember seeing that slide on Ebay, and although the price was getting beyond my normal limit (most hydraulic slides go that way these days), I hoped that someone from this thread might be bidding and also be successful.

Well done Neil for sharing those with us, and to continue the theme here is one of my latest 'wins' -

post-4474-0-72538700-1448529945_thumb.jpg

D1022 pauses at Bodmin Road with a Plymouth to Penzance parcels train - 2nd October 1975.

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing these folks!

In the early 70s 1M22 was a wizzo turn ar far north as BNS - every time I saw it it seemed to be Explorer or Sentinel so nice to see the photos of them elsewhere

Kind regards

Phil

Yaaay.

I remember seeing that slide on Ebay, and although the price was getting beyond my normal limit (most hydraulic slides go that way these days), I hoped that someone from this thread might be bidding and also be successful.

Well done Neil for sharing those with us, and to continue the theme here is one of my latest 'wins' -

attachicon.gifd1022 bodmin rd 2:10:75.jpg

D1022 pauses at Bodmin Road with a Penzance to Bristol parcels train - 2nd October 1975.

A nice view, it is a down working towards Penzance.

I have a WTT for May 3rd 1976 when 4B08 was a 10.55 Plymouth - Penzance working (Bodmin Road 11.35 - 11.40), when it probably conveyed vans received vans off 1B78 06.30 Bristol - Plymouth,

cheers

Still quietly accruing slides, some absolute corkers on eBay recently.

Two quick ones taken from eBay listings of which I now own the originals

First is D1002 in my favourite Western livery, MFYE at Reading in 1970, amongst my favourite slides now, and on my home screen on my work iPad -.you'd be amazed by how many colleagues comment along the lines "lovely pic of a Western, did you take it?"

Next D6334 approaching Teignmouth, this was a "copyright Unknown" purchase, so if it's a commercial one or someone claims copyright I'll take it down, but certainly not one I've seen before. Only two further NBLs were delivered minus yellow warning panel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Neil

I have spent some time looking at the picture of D6334 and can't quite reconcile it as Teignmouth as I think we should be able to see a bridge.

I am wondering about it being at Dawlish with the picture taken from the down platform, where, like Teignmouth, the down platform is longer than the up platform,

and I think looking at signalling diagrams there was a double slip which is to the right of D6334 in the picture,

cheers