The gaugemaster prodigy express

GWR88

Evening all,

After debating with myself whether or not to go DCC, i've decided I should and have therefore narrowed my controller choice to two options:

The gaugemaster prodigy express

The nce powercab

I,ve read online that the gaugemaster doesn't have read back capabilities and I'mwondering if anyone can please tell me what this means and how it affects the controller. Also, could anyone please recommend a supplier to possibly get a powercab off of.

Thankyou very much and i'msorry if all of this has been asked before.

Lloyd

Hi

Reading back CV values is important so as you know what you're moving a CV from in the beginning or what its set to if you're unsure or the loco is second hand. But its not an absolute.

The PE does both read and write CVs - see the manual here... http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc01.pdf   AFAIK it doesn't allow accessory decoder operation.

Of the two system I would go with the NCE PowerCab.  This is fully featured and can read and write all CVs plus it can operate accessory decoders etc

Try Coastal DCC where it is currently on sale for £130.00 (I have no connection with the company at all)  http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/nce/power-cab

Edit to add PE manual link

Thanks for the help clarifying CVs for me Brian. In regards to the PE not being able to read CVs, I must have just read a wrong review somewhere.

All the best,

Lloyd

I think early versions of the MRC Prodigy Express would only support readback if you used a Prodigy Advance cab (handset) rather than the Express cab supplied with the system.

Adrian

The Prodigy Express was replaced by the Prodigy Express(squared) last year.
This was a slight upgrade.

The user manual contains this contradictory information regarding Accessory decoders and Route setting.....

Accessory Decoders (Prodigy Advance Cab only)

The Prodigy Express2 will handle most NMRA compatible accessory decoders. This type of decoder can operate turnouts (switch tracks) or toggle accessories, like building lights, on and off from your Cab.

Accessory Routes (Prodigy Advance Cab only)

Grouping of turnouts (or accessories) can be consisted to form a route. The Prodigy Express2 DCC system allows up to 31 routes and up to 8 accessories in each route

Very confusing, especially as MRC's own information on their web site says that the Prodigy Express2 still doesn't do turnouts or routes.

Thanks Ron,

Does that mean the gaugemaster prodigy express is a a new version (The squared one) as it looks the same. :scratchhead:

Lloyd

Yes, the Gaugemaster version of the Prodigy Express was changed to the newer "Squared" model last year.

Old Gaugemaster PE 

10226.jpg

New Gaugemaster PE2  .

DCC01.jpg

Hi

Taken as a Copy and Paste from the Gaugemaster web site for the DCC01 Prodigy Express 2...

Not as powerful as its older brother Prodigy ADVANCE and without the ability to operate accessories in its current format, this system might not suit the more experienced modeller, but for the newcomer or someone keen to try DCC at a competitive price... etc...

With the PA2 if you want to operate accessories you need to press the 'Accessory' or the 'Route'  buttons.  As supplied the PE2 doest have these buttons.

• 8 months later...

I bought the Express2

I thought I was happy with it, but the manual gives the briefest of information.

I've linked it up to my layout and I'm getting OVLD in the window, which I've taken to mean overload or short circuit, this is without a loco on the track, and no visible short circuits either.

The ony thing that i can think may be causing the problem is one electrofrog point I have in the sidings.

Does the same thing happen if you power off the mains transformer and then pull out the green plug in the rear of the base unit then power back up the mains power unit?  So as no Track or Programming track feeds are connected.

If it now powers up correctly the issue is on the rails or in the wiring somewhere.

If it still shows OVLD then the issue is within the PE or its base unit. In this case I would return it to Gaugemaster.

Edit to add... I assume your Electrofrog point has two Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) fitted to the ends of its Vee rails?

I am  after  a  little  advice/opinions

I am in the  process  of  building  a (nother!!)  layout  N  gauge not  large  around  8 x 6' it  will of  course be digital

I have  been  an Digital  user  for over 20 years now and used many  systems, these days   I  use   MRC/Gaugemaster  Prodigy on a couple of indoor  lines  and  Massoth  on  the  garden line

However  as  the  new   N  layout  is only  likely to have  at   the  most  2  locos  running  at  once  and  there  will be  no decoders to control apart from the locos, and  as long  as  I can programme CVs,   what is  the opinion out  there  on  my using  a  Prodigy  Express> or  do  i spend a few pounds  more  and  buy  a  Prodigy 2?

Prodigy Express2 doest operate accessories but does everything else.  Cost around £125 ish though can be possibly less if research is done. (eHattons price)

Unless you have a specific reason for needing a PE2 I would seriously be looking at obtaining a NCE PowerCab - £130 from Coastal DCC currently. Does all your ever need and lots more too.

• RMweb Premium

Is there any particular reason why you can't use the Prodigy system you already have - hard wired in perhaps ? I use my PA2 with a variety of layouts, 2mm, 4mm, just plugging the command station into whichever of them I am using via a Din plug and socket. Just a thought.

Izzy

Archived