Scale7 JB's Workbench thread that isn't a blog.

Scale7JB

• 4 weeks later...

Another little update..

I must admit, it was actually a job that I wasn't looking forward to, as I had to scratch the hinges on the door, but all worked out rather well in the end..

The heat deflector plate needs adjusting though, it's nowhere near correct.. angry.gif

post-6848-0-93539100-1293927287_thumb.jpg

post-6848-0-44822600-1293927418_thumb.jpg

post-6848-0-89948500-1293927546_thumb.jpg

post-6848-0-88909100-1293927562_thumb.jpg

JB.

• 1 year later...

Beautiful work on the smokebox. I seems to spend a lot of my time in loco smokeboxes, but I never thought to model the inside of one! Did these locos not have any spark arrestors in them? You could also have a vacuum ejector exhaust coming in the side. Are you going to put the cross bar in place? An idea for holding it closed could be a small magnet? It looks great anyway, almost seems a shame to paint it!

Rick

• 3 years later...

I think you'll find a few of your castings in that L1 Simon, at the very least, leaf springs and brake hangers and shoes...

I didn't find the lining too difficult strangely, the tricky bit was getting the yellow line fine enough, but it's just down to the quality of the pen and the viscosity of the paint..

JB.

Oh, you know John? He's become a good friend over the years...

Not West Mersea this one, it's another very large privately owned Scale7 layout. Probably the largest, errr, ever?!

Hoping to take it to a few shows once it's more complete, but I wouldn't hold your breath.. ;)

JB.

Jims castings are actually pretty good despite his humility.

Only things I would consider buying would be safety valves, whistle perhaps, and buffer beam pipes. But then saying that, the buffer beam pipes would still be his own, but the brass versions...

Another luxury would be Laurie Griffin's tapered hand rails.

JB.

I've got a set of Jim's brass pipework to replace the supplied ones. I'm stuck on buffers though. I need two types for my three builds but Gibson only has one type in stock. They are described as 'self-contained' which I'm hoping to mean that nothing protrudes behind the beam, except a nut maybe, but I've not seen them and he has no photos. I'm going to replace the supplied couplings too. JPL Models have some lovely looking screw links that I'll probably get.

Buffers, I don't know for sure, but I would be (pleasantly) surprised if the Gibson versions were internally sprung, it may just relate to the type of buffer.

I'm a fan of either the whitemetal sprung versions that Peter Hunt sells, though I think his stocks are getting low now, though personal favourites are the turned brass Markits buffers that Roxey Mouldings sell. They sadly don't have the bolt head detail, but they can be drilled and cosmetic bolts added.

Laurie's couplings are rather nice if a little pricey...

JB.

Archived