Scale7 JB's Workbench thread that isn't a blog.

Scale7JB

Hi JB, it's many years since I used a Pantograph machine, but when I DID, the metal was clamped, or screwed, to some mdf/chipboard/plywood if we were cutting out completely. and the board only used once.

The trick is to watch the stylus for 99% of the time, DO NOT attempt to cut out thick cuts in one go, better to have two or more passes, and SLOW DOWN with the stylus when approaching the final few mm of a cut that will cut OUT something. Move the stylus slowly and evenly, and let the cutter do the work. Force it, or go too fast, or take off too much at once, and you'll break the cutter or dislodge it. Oh, and DO ensure the arms are tightened properly before attempting to use the machine.

Best of luck. Like everything else, practice makes perfectB)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all... you may have noticed, I have changed the name of this thread from the Scratchbuilt N7 to standard workbench thread. I have more than a few things going at any one time, so thought this would be an easier way to help keep people informed of what's up at the Chapel End Loco Works.

JB.

I've had a couple of small things to do on the bench, I finally added the numbers and lettering to the J68 and K2. The J39 is unfortunately still on duty at West Mersea. Using a large dose of Micro-Sol, I was able to place the K2 cab numbers over the rivet heads without any slicing of the transfers themselves, which is nice :lol:

Also I fully cut out the frames for the N7, they come out quite large !

JB.

post-6848-126824541209_thumb.jpgpost-6848-126824587861_thumb.jpgpost-6848-126824590595_thumb.jpgpost-6848-126824607989_thumb.jpgpost-6848-126824616091_thumb.jpg

H there, it is the Jim McGeown Connoisseur models J68 kit..

A fantastic kit to build... Most of this engine was built in a week as a challenge, and that was to Scale7 standards too... I reckon if you were building it to '0'fs it could possibly be done in 5 days.... :lol:

Definitely recommend it !

JB.

Thanks, I thought it might be - I had a choice between this and a Jinty at Kettering last weekend, and i went for the Jinty! I think i should have gone for this now, but then again - it is built very well - Doubt i could do it that well in 5 years let alone 5 days. Did you detail it in any way, i notice a different coupling at the rear?

I'm not too sure about what castings Colin used, but generally, Jims whitemetal and brass castings are very very good, though one or two things can be replaced just to add to the fidelity of the final product...

Replacement couplings from Slaters or Laurie Griffin are a must really, but also available are turned smokebox dart levers from other suppliers.

Jim does do an extra set of brass castings available to replace the whitemetal versions, as brass is nearly always nicer to work with and sharper in the detail department too..

JB.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after feeling very proud of myself for not buying anything at the Ally Pally show at the weekend.. I picked up the phone today and ordered myself an L1 kit :rolleyes:

Had a good day at the show on Sunday, didn't meet quite as many people as I would have liked, but had a very good natter with Pugsley about his cl37 build. It should be a thing of beauty when it's done.. Roll on it's running on the Scale7 stand at Telford... (Pardon the pun)..

Watch this space for build of the L1, it shouldn't be too quick.. but a fair progress rate I'll imagine..

JB.

So you got on OK with the Pantograph, then?

I NEARLY bought a smaller version that had seen service for engraving, but would have cut out loco frames in 7mm, a few years ago at a sunday market. I let it go, and have regretted it since.

Had a good day at the show on Sunday, didn't meet quite as many people as I would have liked, but had a very good natter with Pugsley about his cl37 build. It should be a thing of beauty when it's done.. Roll on it's running on the Scale7 stand at Telford... (Pardon the pun)..

Nice to have a chat with you as well :) Thanks for the vote of confidence on the 37 build, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Well got the Gladiator L1 kit through the post yesterday, and upon opening the box....

post-6848-12700508582_thumb.jpgpost-6848-127005088613_thumb.jpg

It looks to be an okay kit, I guess not bad for the money, but it definitely needs a lot of work on the fidelity side of things...

The main issue I can see at the moment is that the footplate metal is about twice the thickness it needs to be in Nickel Silver, so it will look too thick and be an arse to bend... Also, the rods are currently in solid form so they will need to be chopped down.

Watch this space..

JB.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, not had much of a chance to post on here due to the recent forum problems....

Just thought I would show you some weathering that I had got round to on the K2...

It all went a bit garish in the beginning, but thanks to a couple of friends on here, it all got toned down a touch..

Not too much happening on the L1 at the moment... Probably the slowest start to a kit ever...

post-6848-127115632788_thumb.jpg

post-6848-12711563673_thumb.jpg

post-6848-12711563974_thumb.jpg

JB.

• 1 month later...

Hi JB,

WOW that work of yours is amazing, if you don't mind me saying I can still remember when you first started to dabble in 7mm and now your skills have really come on a treat. Ok so the workmanship will be behind the smoke box door but it's great to know its there, maybe you can fit in a servo to operate the door ;):lol:

All the best, Martyn. ( still a 32mm fan ). ;)

Hi Martyn, yes that was a little while ago now that I started to 'dabble' laugh.gif

I have some great mentors in the club that I belong to now, and it has all definitely brushed off on me a little...

Well the question with the smokebox door at the moment is to either as you say pop it onto a servo, or to have working smokebox door dart handles i.e. full on screw levers. I personally like the idea of the engine going on shed after a working and the smokebox door opening without having to go in there with a pair of tweezers...

JB.

Nice work there on the superheater.

Someone donated a scratchbuilt Schools in P4 to the club on Monday and he'd done the tubeplate and the blastpipe in that. Some nice 1/2 build Black 5s too.

Clubs do sometimes have political downsides but they certainly can also help boost your skills even if its just through the rivalry.

Not posted on here for a little while so thought I would pop a few pictures of the L1 build up...

I might have gone a bit full on in the smokebox.......

It did occur to me that you might be trying your hand at live steam.....tongue.gif

Archived