BRM MARCH 2015 ISSUE PREVIEW with FREE DVD!

I have to say that when I left this fine hobby in the mid 90's I would have been hard pressed to describe British Railway Modelling (as it was then) as the best magazine. What a difference a quarter of a Century makes. A good balance of reporting and "how to's" that will be of interest to the newst and the most experienced alike.

Can I say that I particularly like the fact that when doing demonstrations it actually shows you the intermediate steps. Other mags seem to go straight from "this is a picture of the start, this is the one of the end" and have a few paragraphs of blurb with it- almost like they are desperate to finish the article to move onto the next.

I think BRM is probably the most useful now in that respect. Well done BRM team. Will read with interest.

• RMweb Gold

I solved the problem on my iPad by logging on to my pocketmags account, luckily I had already set one up. I don't think you have to have an account to buy the Apple Newstand version so I don't know how I would be able to restore it otherwise.

I have not yet had any reply from PocketMags from last week about the problem.

Let me first say that BRM has become the magazine that I'm buying the most at the moment. A good mix of interesting articles. However I did notice a few clangers in the Esssentially Modern (Prototype Inspiration) article.

Picture of Southall - item no.5 is not a AWS ramp (it's in the wrong location). I think it is most likely an ATP beacon (the Relief Lines, closest to camera) are fitted wit ATP between London Paddington and Airport Junction.

Picture of signs at Didcot - the signs regarding GSM/CSR swithcover. The signs predate the GSM-R but in fact refer to an earlier system GSM(P) fitted to the FGW Class 165 and 166, for use on routes where CSR was not available (they were not NRN fitted).

I did also wonder about the statement about Driver Only Operation being "the most common way of operating train since the 1980s" - might be one for discussion??

• RMweb Gold

A comment/suggestion regarding the P2 model. The article mentions selling the finished model via sealed bid auction to raise funds for the real thing. Am I misunderstanding this? Surely the best outcome of this would be about £500? A raffle with tickets at £1 or £2 a go would be significantly more productive for the cause, surely?

Let me first say that BRM has become the magazine that I'm buying the most at the moment. A good mix of interesting articles. However I did notice a few clangers in the Esssentially Modern (Prototype Inspiration) article.

Picture of Southall - item no.5 is not a AWS ramp (it's in the wrong location). I think it is most likely an ATP beacon (the Relief Lines, closest to camera) are fitted wit ATP between London Paddington and Airport Junction.

Picture of signs at Didcot - the signs regarding GSM/CSR swithcover. The signs predate the GSM-R but in fact refer to an earlier system GSM(P) fitted to the FGW Class 165 and 166, for use on routes where CSR was not available (they were not NRN fitted).

I did also wonder about the statement about Driver Only Operation being "the most common way of operating train since the 1980s" - might be one for discussion??

Hi,

I'm the one who wrote the article and I apologise for any mistakes, however, the Southall Picture wasn't caption by myself, and you are right, it is an ATP Beacon, all the lines between London Paddington and Airport Junction (and beyond) are fitted with ATP. Although an AWS Ramp in that position would be possible as long as it applied to moves towards the camera and supressed for moves in the up Direction.

In the Radio Sign, you are right, but I didn't specfic the GSM Type, although if I'm honest I thought it did refer to GSM-R

When I wrote the statement about DOO, I knew that DOO was introduced in the 1980's and has become the most common form of train operation, obviously this was come across as being the most common during the 1980's. I do apologise.

SImon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The "Editor's Comment" page (someone's got to read it!) mentions a Locomotive Challenge 2015 area on RMweb, I am probably being blind but I can't see it?

Keen to get cracking, when will it appear?

Thanks

Argos

I managed to pick up a copy today - and may I say that Andy has done a superb job with his photos on The End of The Line -ESPECIALLY when you consider that they were taken at the Warley show, purely under the layouts own single over-head light.....

I don't quite know how you pulled that off Andy......!

Thanks Giles, I knew it wouldn't be practical to drag a load of lights in so it did involve quite a bit of fiddling after the event. I know it was an 'eventful' morning so thanks very much for sparing the time on a busy day!

• RMweb Gold

Great mag this month, thought the Tail Lamp was a good piece that built upon discussions on RMWeb.

DVD's seem to get better and better. BRM does seem to be covering all the bases at the moment.

Also how do those of us who couldn't make it get a show-only subscription deal?

• Moderators

A comment/suggestion regarding the P2 model. The article mentions selling the finished model via sealed bid auction to raise funds for the real thing. Am I misunderstanding this? Surely the best outcome of this would be about £500? A raffle with tickets at £1 or £2 a go would be significantly more productive for the cause, surely?

Hello Colin,

Not necessarily. If we were to go down the raffle route as you suggest, we'd have to be sure that a minimum number of tickets are sold. The best opportunity for this would probably be at a show, but we have other plans. More details will appear in the second part.

Best,

Howard

• RMweb Gold

When I wrote the statement about DOO, I knew that DOO was introduced in the 1980's and has become the most common form of train operation, obviously this was come across as being the most common during the 1980's. I do apologise.

Hate to disagree with you, Simon, DOO may be commonplace in locations such as London, and also with most freight, but the vast majority of passenger services on Western Route, at least, have a Conductor or Train Manager...

• RMweb Gold

Having had a look at some of the DVD last night, I've got to take my hat off to the editorial team, because (i) it's a very slick and professional production and (ii) the sheer amount of extra work that must go into producing something like that, on top of the monthly challenge to get the regular magazine out.

Oh, and the working lorries on 'End of the Line' were simply incredible, added a whole new dimension to modelling. If only the freedom of such radio-controlled beauties were available in 4mm scale - but we'd all need extra operators at shows!!

Oh, and the working lorries on 'End of the Line' were simply incredible, added a whole new dimension to modelling. If only the freedom of such radio-controlled beauties were available in 4mm scale - but we'd all need extra operators at shows!!

That's extremely kind of you, Captain! It is rather fun..... Incidentally, it would appear that H0 modellers in Germany in particular HAVE developed radio controlled vehicles to quite a sophisticated degree - to the point where kits are available for the mechanics and electronics. In my eyes the appear to lack a little subtlety in operation - probably down to getting the motors to operate slowly enough when starting, and I don't think you can get down yo a small flat-bed - but none-the-less, very impressive. There is at least one company - Mikroantriebe - I think it's called, who supplies the whole lot. Nothing for those of us who work in 7mm though!!

I can't find that company - but here's another......

http://www.mikromodellbau.de/Shop/artikelauswahl.php?kid=101

Best,

Giles

Here's a video of the best that I found in a smaller scale - it left me stunned...... When I did mine I hadn't a clue that any of this had been done already (which in some ways made it easier - as one was able to come at it afresh) but some of these people have been working at it for years.

You'll enjoy this.........

I have only been buying BRM for a couple of months, but didn't use any of the DVDs as I find 'free dvd's are usually not that good. How wrong I was.

Through sheer boredom-induced-accident I found the cliff/plank video on facebook. It was really well done. Clear and concise without being patronising. So I dug out the few DVDs I have and I am really impressed.

I really wish that I had found BRM earlier. I still feel a bit disloyal for not buying the mag that I used to 20 years ago, but times change. I particularly like the "how to" sections. In a league above any other mag.

Can anyone tell me if BRM publish any "how to" type books, as does another magazine? I haven't got a copy here with me to scan through. I bought such a title produced by another publisher and it was a little "basic" shall we say.

Keep up the good work.

Archived