Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Unusual PW configurations thread both real and model.

Fascinating.

One "point" though - points with a single movable blade don't need this track scheme - it's not unknown historically on tramways using normally flanged wheels (in both real and model form).

That's true and tends to confirm my theory that cost saving rather than any simplification was the  objective.

I wonder if the flangless wheel was also used to reduce friction on small radius curves? Would it also have been free to rotate on the axle?

It's possible but the bogie is a standard one with a particularly short wheelbase designed to go round the tightest curves.

From various photos of the bogie and its known dimensions (730x730 mm) and gauge (500mm) I would estimate its wheelbase to be between 300-350mm. which should manage a minimum curve of 3 or 4 metres. I think the sharpest curves that Decauville normally supplied ex. stock for 50cm were of 4 metres radius and I think the sharpest curves I saw in the museum would be about that. Any tighter and they used turntables. Apart from the missing flange on one wheel the wheelsets were standard Decauville types with axle boxes so I think the wheels were fixed but wouldn't swear to that.

I've tried to find some original documentation on the railway but with no luck so far.

Edited by Pacific231G

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A must-see: Nearholmer's post linking to film of a most entertaining dual-gauge flat crossing...

That's not flat: I reckon there's a good six inches difference in elevation between the crossing tracks.

I'm impressed that they made sure to run their CMX track cleaner through as soon as the line was open.

What about this here, from ColinK on the "Prototype for everything?" thread...

This was or will be a common rail transition point in a duel gauge track

The wider gauge rail (red rail in drawing) has been removed or yet to be installed

post-28417-0-64245200-1491836110_thumb.jpg

John

Here are some images from Roma St station in Brisbane Australia

At first glance it may look like a normal double crossover 

The LH point that splits the duel gauge straddled track into standard (straight) & NG(narrow gauge) (diverging to the left) has 2 flexible point blades

The image shows it in the straight position

The closer blade moves (flexes) to the running rail & the further blade moves away from the running rail, setting the point to the diverging NG track

post-28417-0-39011300-1491839118_thumb.jpg

This is a close up of the rest of the point on the left middle of the above photo

post-28417-0-58486700-1491839099_thumb.jpg

This is looking the other way

post-28417-0-45743900-1491839138_thumb.jpg

My understanding is.

The duel gauge track on the right with the common rail is used to run around standard gauge locos (Last time I looked the interstate trains were the XPT, Aussie equivalent to the intercity 125 making loco run-around's rare)

The duel gauge track on the left where the standard gauge straddles the narrow gauge is the platform where inter-state trains arrive and depart

Suburban electrics also use this platform

My best guess for the gauges to be straddling each other is so that different gauge coaches can use the same platform & still be at the correct distance from the platform

John

• Like 3

I'd love to see someone make a model of that.

It was the birthday of a famous British engineer who provided plenty of opportunity for modelling complex mixed gauge track yesterday. That example from down under is pretty basic in comparison :).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did the sun shine through Box Tunnel from one end to the other when it rose that morning?

(According to Wikipedia this is a myth, but I worked with a driver who claimed to have seen it.  It's the sort of stunt he'd have pulled though, especially given his interest in ancient Egypt and some of the alignments in pyramids and temples)

Here are some images from Roma St station in Brisbane Australia

attachicon.gifIMG_0419a.jpg

My understanding is.

The duel gauge track on the right with the common rail is used to run around standard gauge locos (Last time I looked the interstate trains were the XPT, Aussie equivalent to the intercity 125 making loco run-around's rare)

The duel gauge track on the left where the standard gauge straddles the narrow gauge is the platform where inter-state trains arrive and depart

Suburban electrics also use this platform

My best guess for the gauges to be straddling each other is so that different gauge coaches can use the same platform & still be at the correct distance from the platform

John

If the 4'8.5" is outside the 3'6",  "so that different gauge coaches can use the same platform & still be at the correct distance from the platform" does that mean that the narrow gauge coaches are actually wider than the standard gauge ones?

Did the sun shine through Box Tunnel from one end to the other when it rose that morning?

(According to Wikipedia this is a myth, but I worked with a driver who claimed to have seen it.  It's the sort of stunt he'd have pulled though, especially given his interest in ancient Egypt and some of the alignments in pyramids and temples)

As the line through Box Tunnel was under possession on the day in question, several NR and FGW engineers went to have a look. Their conclusion was that the tunnel and its approach cuttings had clearly been designed with that in mind, however although the sun shone a long way into the tunnel, it didn't shine right through. One of the engineers mentioned that the tunnel had been relined at some point in the past which may have affected things.

I read a while back (can't remember where) that the sun does indeed shine through, but a couple of days later as atmospheric pollution has affected the refractive index of the atmosphere since Brunel's day.

• RMweb Premium

As the line through Box Tunnel was under possession on the day in question, several NR and FGW engineers went to have a look. 

Cause or effect?

i ought to go away and calculate if the axial precession - 5 arcseconds per century - is enough to have destroyed the effect Brunel is supposed to have intended by now. 

If the 4'8.5" is outside the 3'6",  "so that different gauge coaches can use the same platform & still be at the correct distance from the platform" does that mean that the narrow gauge coaches are actually wider than the standard gauge ones?

I haven't got access to prototype data but I took width measurements from some models I own

HO QR    NG diesel  32.2mm

HO NSW SG diesel  34mm

HO Class66              32mm

OO Class 66             35.8mm

OO intercity 125        36.2mm

While these widths may not be 100% accurate they show that the NG & SG stock are close to the same width

The suburban electrics have a 100mm lip/platform at floor level at each doorway that effectively widens the coach by 200mm

Because both gauge coaches are approximately the same width then the centreline of the coaches have to be the same distance from the edge of the platform

The way to do this is to have the both gauges on the same centreline hence the SG straddles the NG

Hope this is a bit clearer then mud

John

Because both gauge coaches are approximately the same width then the centreline of the coaches have to be the same distance from the edge of the platform

The way to do this is to have the both gauges on the same centreline hence the SG straddles the NG

Hope this is a bit clearer then mud

John

Sorry, brain-freeze there.  Of course, the same centre-line of the two gauges means they're the same width...

• 1 month later...

It's been done many times already, and some of the first generation systems had trolleybuses with sufficient on board battery capacity to make short moves off-wire.

Even then, trolleybuses can cope quite well with roadworks and where a major deviation from the normal line is required, it is not that difficult to temporarily realign the wires. Road works that major should be known about in advance anyway.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

My understanding is.

And at the southern end of the XPT network (Melbourne Southern Cross), the trains finish up on a platform with dual gauge standard and broad gauge track.

You can't travel between the two on one service, but so far as I know the same trains are used on both routes - I wonder where else the same train routinely uses both narrow and broad gauge dual gauge track?

And to go back to what started this off, there is (or was) a transition taking the standard gauge common rail from one side to the other on the dual gauge track in Melbourne Southern Cross. I probably have a photograph somewhere...

Edited by Coryton

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps not quite the right thread, but these fossilized remains do seem to have preserved a slightly unusual bit of track, near the entrance inside Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. There are a few other bits around the site and a handful of goods wagons marooned on the quayside.

post-14351-0-08016200-1497901579_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps not quite the right thread, but these fossilized remains do seem to have preserved a slightly unusual bit of track, near the entrance inside Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. There are a few other bits around the site and a handful of goods wagons marooned on the quayside.

attachicon.gifPreserved inset track Portsmouth 5 4 2017.jpg

Isn't this just a conventional point but with a sort of continuous check rail to frame the setts? The check rail is joggled to give room for the switch blade to move. The resulting flangeway groove has been filled in.

Edited by Compound2632