PASS OF BRANDER STONE FALL SIGNALS

DOCJACOB

Was on a mission to find an image now posted elsewhere tonight and came across these. Had completely forgotten I'd taken them in circa 7/81, aside from that can't remember too many published images either.

Anyway the signals and the fencing designed to protect trains from rock falls. 

I'm sure someone else has better quality ones to share

post-16796-0-84712800-1423077404_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Was on a mission to find an image now posted elsewhere tonight and came across these. Had completely forgotten I'd taken them in circa 7/81, aside from that can't remember too many published images either.

Try a search on Google for PASS OF BRANDER STONE FALL SIGNALS then go to images plenty of links from there

• 7 months later...

I thought they normally were in the off position..both arms up?

Pic shows the 37 apparently passing the signal 'on'?..

The On signal indicates a possibly broken wire which may indicate an obstruction - train crew were instructed to proceed at walking pace until they reached the obstruction or reached the next clear signal, and to report the position of the signal

Paul

I thought they normally were in the off position..both arms up?

Pic shows the 37 apparently passing the signal 'on'?..

My copy of the 1969 Sc.R Sectional Appendix says that as long as the screen wires remain intact the signals remain at clear, but if one or more wire is broken by falling stones, Up and Down signals go to danger.  When a Driver sights a signal at danger "he must reduce speed and proceed cautiously sending his Secondman forward to ascertain if the line is clear, until a second clear signal is reached" - the implication being that these signals can be passed at danger.  It also says that the apparatus is connected with bells in Dalmally and Taynuilt token stations, but I don't have any recent information as to what happens since the advent of RETB and the abolition of token working and signal-boxes.

Alasdair

My copy of the 1969 Sc.R Sectional Appendix says that as long as the screen wires remain intact the signals remain at clear, but if one or more wire is broken by falling stones, Up and Down signals go to danger.  When a Driver sights a signal at danger "he must reduce speed and proceed cautiously sending his Secondman forward to ascertain if the line is clear, until a second clear signal is reached" - the implication being that these signals can be passed at danger.  It also says that the apparatus is connected with bells in Dalmally and Taynuilt token stations, but I don't have any recent information as to what happens since the advent of RETB and the abolition of token working and signal-boxes.

Alasdair

So the actual pic is of a loco proceeding at caution because of possible obstruction..I have never seen these signals show a warning indication..good pic.

When I was a very small child we used to visit a signalman on the line..he lived in one of a row of cottages attached to the box which had a platform in front of same..bit like a short station but not sure if it was ever used as such.

I do know that when the wives of the signalman or other cottage occupants were requiring to go into town..Oban I presume..the train stopped there for them..different world!

Loch Awe crossing rings a bell..it was very close to Dalmally.

I do have a picture of it and will attempt to dig it out..taken I would think about 1957.

Dave

Have to honest the signal position in the photo hadn't fully registered and I took it!

I doubt in todays climate I would have been treated so leniently and allowed to get so close.

Anyway the signal may show "danger" for reasons other than rock falls; Deer, Sheep, Hill Walkers, Trees and Frost have been culprits in the past?

As for slowing it was a long time ago and I was a lot younger but I dont think so.

• RMweb Premium

These are not stop signals in the block working sense.  They may be passed at "danger" subject as noted to the train being run forward at caution, anticipating and able to stop short of an obstruction.  

They are normally cleared in both directions which to the professional railwayman's eye looks odd as it might imply trains are cleared to approach simultaneously in both directions on the single line.  That is not the case.

One might be in the danger position and the other cleared if a wire of "Anderson's Piano" (as noted in a post above) has been sufficiently disturbed.  That may be by a rock or earth-fall which has not triggered all the wires or might be the result of animal contact.  

Are these now the only fixed "conventional" signals remaining anywhere in RETB areas?  

These are not stop signals in the block working sense.  They may be passed at "danger" subject as noted to the train being run forward at caution, anticipating and able to stop short of an obstruction.  

They are normally cleared in both directions which to the professional railwayman's eye looks odd as it might imply trains are cleared to approach simultaneously in both directions on the single line.  That is not the case.

One might be in the danger position and the other cleared if a wire of "Anderson's Piano" (as noted in a post above) has been sufficiently disturbed.  That may be by a rock or earth-fall which has not triggered all the wires or might be the result of animal contact.  

Are these now the only fixed "conventional" signals remaining anywhere in RETB areas?  

There is still a small bastion of mechanically worked signals in the Fort William Junction area, despite both the Mallaig and WHL lines being RETB.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand from a Network Rail engineer that these are currently being removed by a contractor to Network Rail.

Some of the equipment is to be retained for preservation, probably at Bo'ness. All is being extensively photographed.

Jim P

• 1 month later...

Archived