RMweb

Parkway modern image layout

MrB

Thanks Neil

Had a good check on the Helix today - my re-sprayed Hornby 60001 in DBS livery easily managed 15 HTAs up and across.

The Hornby locos are excellent performers when it comes to power.

Need to see how one of my Bachmann class 66s copes with the load!!

Regards

John

• Like 2

Hi David, thanks for the comments.

Just have to be patient for a while now as 23 more point motors to install in the lower level and then test all tracks prior to building the upper level when it will get far more interesting.

Great to see so many people interested and I am sure there will be lots of advice as the layout progresses!!

Best regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Evening All,

After a day of wiring some of this;-

Parkway fiddle/storage lower level wiring for DCC control

JCClark and I managed to get some time to run some trains testing the newly layed lower fiddle yard and storage, up the helix to the scenic level (which has no scenic area as yet).

Please see the youtube video linked for the trains.

https://youtu.be/Crgi5-HqS4I

Regards

MrB

• Like 2

Hi everyone

Some great wiring progress carried out on Tuesday - mainly thanks to MrB!

The lower level has 33 points and there are now 24 completed with, mainly, Tortoise points but a couple of DCC concept units in spaces a bit on the tight side!!

All points are fed from the ECoS 50200 along with a regulated 12v DC through ESU Switchpilot V2 connected to an ESU Switchpilot Extension. All have programmed without problem except for one extension that wanted to change 3 points at a time. The frogs on each point are also juiced to prevent problems with locomotives going over the electro frog points where the switch blade contact is not 100%.

It was great to have some trains running, especially when we had 6 running at the same time. Also great that the South Helix "ski jump" has been somewhat flattened and makes for a far better switch from Helix to level board.

Brilliant that my re-sprayed DBS class 60 effortlessly hauled the 15 HTAs over the circuit. Really looking forward to completing the lower section point installation and testing then we can start on the upper scenic section.

Thanks for all your interest

Regards

John

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone

Apologies for the delay between postings but have not long returned from a family visit to Australia.

Anyway, hopefully back to it now and I have spent the last few days completing some loco work I left unfinished before we departed these shores.

I have now completed the re-number of a couple of Large Logo 47s complete with Highland Rail motif - they are 47550 and 47640 ("University of Dundee" and "University of Stirling") Applied etched plates etc on 56037 Richard Trevithick, completed re-spray and decals on DBS 90029, completed decoration and re-built 57312 "Solway Princess" in Northern Belle livery.

I also completed a Motherwell based 37 in Large Logo (37108 Lanarkshire Steel) but had a mishap when fitting the Express Lighting to it so currently replacing decoder harness to fully complete.

I will post some photos when all done and then get back to point fitting on the lower board (5 to go and then all complete).

Really looking forward to getting all the lower fiddle section complete and tested so progress can begin on the upper scenic section when the real fun begins!

As always, any comments/suggestions are always welcome.

Best regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

Well, finally sorted out 37108 and all lights functioning.

Roy back on site tomorrow so hopefully have a fruitful day and complete the installation of the remaining lower level fiddle yard points.

I wired up 10 Tortoise units today and now have the 9th ESU switchpilot coded up to accessory 36.

I have had an interesting day with Dapol signals today and finally managed to achieve a signal movement with an ESU switchpilot!!  Not quite orrect at the moment as have to touch ECoS screen twice for a change of signal.

I have some 12v DC Single Pole Single Throw Normally Open solenoids on there way from Maplin so hope I can finalise a more natural signal operation once they are installed - it has certainly been a challenge!!

Also had some fun with a model I could not resist buying!  I purchased Bachmann class 43 warship D835 Pegasus but decided to re-number it to one of the only two Warships I never saw.  Fox Plates and transfers fitted and now have BR Green D842 Royal Oak.

The loco looks great but what a challenge fitting all the roof vents and hatch lifting eyes - worth it though.

Hopefully, going to be running Roy's new Intercity 125 tomorrow, a full re-spray in VTEC livery so watch out for a video coming up.  May well give 57312 a run as well with my rake of 10 WCRC coaching stock.

As always, your comments are welcome and thanks for following.  It should all get more exciting soon as the top scenic section build is commenced.

Best regards

John

Hi everyone

Brilliant day today and all the lower level points have been wired up, tested and the frogs juiced up also!!  faultless running through all 33 points so chuffed to bits.

Roy's VTEC IC125 has got to be the best re-spray I have seen - an awesome train running round the track so watch out for a video!  Should also be a video of my re-sprayed 57312 Solway Princess on a rake of WCRC stock.  His sound fitted Blue Pullman also got a run today.

D842 Royal Oak in BR Green with SYE was given a run also, lovely locomotive and brought back some happy memories from my Swindon Works Visits many years ago when they were just building the Western Class locos.

Referring to my last post regarding the Dapol signals - the relays (not solenoids) arrived today and wired up one of the signals from the ECoS through a Switchpilot V2.0.  Fantastic!! Set up on toggle configuration and the signal works a treat.  A lot was to do with a Youtube

video I watched on Simon's Shed and the way he set up his signals on his N gauge DCC layout.  If anyone interested, I can maybe post a wiring diagram of how I set it up with the ECoS and Switchpilot.

Thanks and regards

John

Afternoon All,

Please find attached copies of the photos taken at Parkway on Monday of the VTEC at various places on the Layout.

Regards

Roy

Love that livery, hopefully Hornby will release it for it's 2016 range, with mk3's to go with. Are you looking at getting the NRM Special Edition VTEC HST to go with it?

Edited by themymysteryman101

Hi everyone

I promised to post some photographs of some of the stock I have been working on for the Parkway.

Some are re-sprays that I have completed myself and others are re-numbered/re-branded and named from current RTR locos.

90029 and 60001 in DBS livery are re-sprays I have done, as are 57312 Solway Princess, 37420 Scottish Hosteller and 37108 Lanarkshire Steel.

Some weathering to do on a few of the locos yet and I am awaiting some etched snowploughs from Peter Harvey for 47550 University of Dundee.  Notice that 3 of the large Logo machines all carry Highland Rail Stag motifs on the cab.

My layout will be set up to run either ERA 8 or ERA 9 rolling stock but some older locos I cannot resist, hence re-numbered class 43 Warship D842 Royal Oak.  I renumbered it to this number as it is one of the two class 43 locos I never saw!!

As you can see from Roy's posting, the lower level is all working from the ECoS controller beautifully so time to start the upper scenic section next.  We have some ideas of what we are going to do so will keep on posting as the build developes!!

As always, always open to constructive criticism or advice.

Best regards

John

post-6270-0-54547400-1447694679_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-39486100-1447694701_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-25463900-1447694711_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-90879500-1447694720_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-10969600-1447694734_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-67910100-1447694749_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-77553400-1447694761_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-09558000-1447694774_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-46279500-1447694784_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-10152800-1447694795_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-88811300-1447694807_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hello themymysteryman101,

I'm thinking about it depends money is tight just now and also if it will have the correct tooling around the exhausts or not, as its not currently available as far as i'm aware. I'll be keeping my eyes on it, it's been hard to refrain from the First Great Western HST set from the NRM too.

as per photos below

VTEC MTU roof detail

VTEC MTU whole roof detail

VTEC MTU roof detail

Love that livery, hopefully Hornby will release it for it's 2016 range, with mk3's to go with. Are you looking at getting the NRM Special Edition VTEC HST to go with it?

Edit - photos added

Edited by MrB

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Thanks for taking an interest in Parkway.

Apologies for the delays between postings but a lot of preparation work going on in readiness for building the upper section which will be the scenic part. More interesting I hope!

A couple of more purchases have been made in the last month - Executive liveried Intercity 125 which I have just finished removing the side transfers due to the silver colour rather than white. Was gutted when on last one got down to the undercoat during removal! Quickly had to get out the airbrush and, luckily, had some RES dark grey which is a perfect match thank goodness. All sprayed up now and looking good.

Other purchase was Locomotion LE "Harry Patch" and is superb!

Had to surf around a few shops to get all the correct coaches to run 2+8 formations and delighted that I have now got coaches A to H for each set.

Other preparations have involved completing the whole lower level track diagram on the ECoS 50200 and programming more switchpilot decodes for points and Dapol signals and also coded up 2 Team digital 8 output accessory decoders!

Just need to get cracking on the scenic sections now all the lower section and Helixes have been fully tested and running well.

Just a bit undecided about the upper section other than 4 track and TMD to be incorporated.

Please feel free to comment as any advice is more than welcome.

Regards to all

John

• 1 month later...

Hello and Happy New Year to you all

Not as much visual progress on the layout as hoped but have made a start on the upper section now and think I have an idea how it is finally going to look.

I have been busy with the ECoS control unit with various bits and pieces like downloading more loco images into the system, programming some more Switchpilots and a couple of SMD84s, completing the lower level track plan and ensuring I can get the Dapol semaphore signals working as they are supposed to!!

I have completed replacing the decals on the Intercity 125 PCs and weathered both units - I am not going to do anything with "Harry Patch" being as it is a LE.

I have attached a photograph of one of the PCs along with photos of my weathered 57312"Solway Princess", 56095 "Harworth Colliery" and my re-sprayed 90029 which was an ex Barbie Liveried loco.

I have also added a couple of other photos which show the start I have made doing a couple of re-sprays for Roy which will be 37156 and 37232 in "Dutch" livery.  The final photo is the start of the upper level of "Parkway" which will finally form the scenic section.

As always, if you have any comments or advice, please feel free.

Thanks and regards

John

post-6270-0-69325500-1452291376_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-40237600-1452291388_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-57747200-1452291405_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-32388200-1452291414_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-26832700-1452291423_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-75595000-1452291432_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone

At last, the upper scenic section has now been started and Mr B spent the day here assisting greatly getting the first track-work laid.

There are a couple of photographs showing the North end and South end of the layout with the pointwork that approaches the 4 track main line.  The South end is the photo with the class 37 in the picture and this will be the approach area to the station.

The left hand point will be the TMD access via the bridge over the canal that I have started to build.  The stonework either side of the canal portal was made by applying DAS air dried clay to plywood and then scoring the mortar lines as it dried.  I am really pleased with it and think it will all look good when complete.  I have yet to pour more Real Water to build the canal depth up.

It has been a busy few days really as I have also completed 2 Dutch class 37 re-sprays for Mr B and nearly completed a Loadhaul 37/7 for him.  Also filled the two windows in on a Bachmann EWS 37 (Hartlepool Pipe Mill) and resprayed the sides.

Scenic section level has also had a DC bus installed for Switchpilot/Tortoise point interface and future lighting etc.

I will continue the scenic section as there is loads to do electrically with regard installation of ESU Switchpilots and the track itself.  I am also in the middle of dry brushing a lot of buttressed walling for the rear of the layout and it is looking reasonably good at the moment!

As always, any comments or advice are welcome so thanks for looking and have a great day.

Regards

John

post-6270-0-90410400-1455017454_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-37955500-1455017463_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-55309700-1455017474_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-24543000-1455017483_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCClark
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone

Another delay since last posting but that does not mean there has been no progress!  All the main line points have been laid and the canal scene has been well progressed.

Just want to make sure all the upper level track is working correctly and all is as it should be with the ESU ECoS controller prior to posting how the layout progresses into the scenic stage.

Meanwhile, I have had the airbrush on the go again with two new additions to the Parkway fleet.

This time, I have been working on the modern era (The layout will run in either ERA 8 or ERA 9 mode once running).

Please see attached of Colas class 60 number 60095 and DB Class 67 in Caledonian sleeper colours and named "Cairn Gorm" - the latter was a bargain Arrive Wales livery from Kernow at £79.00 so substantially cheaper than Hornby's latest issue!

Any comments, please feel free

Regards

John

post-6270-0-81110100-1459948849_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-69634300-1459948877_thumb.jpg

• Like 4