Parkway modern image layout

MrB

Good to see helices in deployment.  I'm fond of their role in space saving, so will be watching your experiences of them with interest.

Have you thought about counselling for your class 37 problem though?   :jester:

Hi Chard

Ha! Ha! Ha! - maybe that is what I should do as, when I have completed these two locos they will be my 29th and 30th examples of Large Logo 37s with all but one being Eastfield or Inverness allocated!

With regard to the helices - I am looking forward to the first trial run helix to helix. Currently completing the crossovers as per photographs and nearly completed a couple of tracks on the lower layout board fiddle area. Really need to ensure I get the points set up correctly on the ECoS 50200 and then, hopefully, cooking on gas as they say!

I will keep you all posted and thanks for your comments

John

Hi again everyone

Although mentioned in DCC topics thought a couple of mentions worth putting in this topic.

On YouTube there is a subscriber called Ruud Boer and he has just posted some excellent tutorial videos related to the ECoS 50200. His latest videos are regarding setting up accessories and routes and they are excellent. Earlier videos demonstrate writing the codes on loco decoder sand also how to download user defined photographs to the ECoS controller. Al in all, very comprehensive tutorials from Ruud.

Further to these videos, I was looking at the SCARM layout design software which is a free download and looks like a very impressive design tool. It is Ruud Boer who also presents an excellent set of tutorials for potential users of the software and well worth a look.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Quite a productive day today in one way or another.

That is the two 37/0 locomotives have had the blue sprayed on so it will be the final colour of black next as that was the roof colour of the Motherwell locos that these two will depict.

Had an interesting time with the ECoS 50200 today as I had to get the software to version 4.0.2 from its' delivered version 3.4. Had to update to 3.7 first and then firmware 4.0 along with the rescue programme! Not as easy as I thought but all done now.

Finished off by downloading 112 images from the ESU loco bazaar to my unit as it looks far better when you have a picture that matches the loco you have on the track. Still a few locos that there are no images for so looks like I will have to get the camera out and add some user defined images to the ESU website.

Still lots to do so will keep you posted and add some photos of 37108 and 37310 once they are completed.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Evening all

Bit more progress on the re-spraying of my two new Motherwell class 37/0s.

Note the differences regarding the yellow with 37108 having the band across the roof over cab ends.  Going to be awkward painting cantline round the cab front just above the windows on this one!!

37310 only has the cantline along the roof line just above the roof curve grills but a bit thicker than normal.

Plates ordered today along with large Logo decals.  37108 will be "Lanarkshire Steel" and 37310will be "British Steel Ravenscraig" so looking forward to completing them and a nice bit of weathering before they take to the new layout.

Regards

John

post-6270-0-92377400-1431029860_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone

Thought we had been quiet for a while so just a small update as to what has been happening since early May.

I continued with the re-spray on 37 108 and 37 310 and actually completed 37 310 "British Steel Ravenscraig" and added a bit of weathering.  There are a couple of photos attached showing the loco on the by pass main and also ascending the South Helix.  This model was a Vitrains 37 156 prior to the re-spray.  A bit of delay with 37108 "Lanarkshire Steel" as this was originally Bachmann 37034 so only had the split indicators and no high intensity light.  I have re-worked the nose ends and they now have the high intensity light fitting along with a bit of rubbing down to show plated over connecting doors.  Today, I received the Express Models kit to fit the full array of lighting as per the modified locomotive once it went to Large Logo.

Otherwise, a fair bit of electrical work on the layout and photographs show the bypass line ESU switchpilot and extension fitted along with the tortoise point motors.  Have also installed the socket connector across the lift out section at the door and also been laying some of the lower level fiddle yard track work.  need to get all this completed prior to starting the upper scenic section and running trains properly.

Hope, in the not too distant future, to start running Helix to Helix through all the lower level fiddle yard sidings!!

Please feel free to comment.

Best regards

John

post-6270-0-75017100-1432826983_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-80903400-1432826984_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-64404300-1432826985_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-64009200-1432826986_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-64401800-1432826987_thumb.jpg

post-6270-0-21001300-1432827304_thumb.jpg

Edited by JCClark
  • Like 7

Hi njee20

Thanks for that, I don't like my locos too heavily weathered and certainly not too keen on them straight out of the box.

I have not been on the airbrush too long but, hopefully, my resprays are improving.

My next one could be a challenge as I am attempting 57312 in Northern Belle livery!! I already have the pair of original NB class 47s but they were done by that excellent resprayer Andi Walshaw of Cairnsroadworks. I have a way to go to emulate him but here is hoping!!

Regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Must apologise for the delay between posting but Parkway has been a bit of a challenge regarding wiring as this is the first time I have used my ECoS controller with ESU switchpilots linked to ESU extensions for control of Tortoise switch machines!

Well worth the scratching of head for programming control decoders etc and also well worth a good bit of work on the PC with Pixlr  photo image software to generate and download another 40 loco icons for the controller.  Now have 120 British outline loco icons on the controller.

I have also been doing a bit more re-spray work and currently finalising a Hornby class 90 into DB Schenker livery as 90 029 and 57 312 into Northern belle livery complete with Dellner coupling.  I have applied all the decals to one side on this loco and you certainly need some patience to apply them - there are many of them!!

I have also re-numbered a couple of Large Logo class 47s complete with Inverness Highland Stag.  A black head code Heljan 47 is now 47550 "University of Dundee" and I managed to get a Bachmann "University of Leicester" which is now "University of Strathclyde" - both locos are looking good and will post photos in the near future.

Back to the layout - Roy and I have laid some more track on the lower storage level and track plan duly input to ECoS planning tool.  Also wired up a further 8 points including 2 double slips and all tested.

Thought it was time to carry out some helix load testing with the 20 SSA wagons I have and some mixed results!  Roy tried out his Hornby TTS sound 47 on 8 x ICI TTAs as this loco is very light.

The results were as follows:-

Hornby 47 401 with 8 x TTAs managed OK

ViTrains Large Logo 37310 - 20 x SSA

Hornby DBS 60001 - 20 wagons

Heljan Railfreight Petroleum - 20 wagons

Hornby class 56 - 20 wagons

Bachmann class 37 just made it with 15 wagons

Bachmann class 70 just made it with 10 wagons!!!

Bachmann class 66 managed 15 wagons OK

Very disappointed with the Bachmann locos but the Heljan and Hornby locos romped away with the wagons.

Note- about 6 of the wagons had cast 10 commandment loads in them so we are talking a substantially heavy train.  I think, generally the Helix performance was better than I thought it would be.

Hopefully, will not be so long before the next post and please feel free to comment on the preceding as your thoughts are valuable in developing Parkway.

Thanks and regards

John

Hello everyone

Must apologise for the delay between posting but Parkway has been a bit of a challenge regarding wiring as this is the first time I have used my ECoS controller with ESU switchpilots linked to ESU extensions for control of Tortoise switch machines!

Well worth the scratching of head for programming control decoders etc and also well worth a good bit of work on the PC with Pixlr  photo image software to generate and download another 40 loco icons for the controller.  Now have 120 British outline loco icons on the controller.

I have also been doing a bit more re-spray work and currently finalising a Hornby class 90 into DB Schenker livery as 90 029 and 57 312 into Northern belle livery complete with Dellner coupling.  I have applied all the decals to one side on this loco and you certainly need some patience to apply them - there are many of them!!

I have also re-numbered a couple of Large Logo class 47s complete with Inverness Highland Stag.  A black head code Heljan 47 is now 47550 "University of Dundee" and I managed to get a Bachmann "University of Leicester" which is now "University of Strathclyde" - both locos are looking good and will post photos in the near future.

Back to the layout - Roy and I have laid some more track on the lower storage level and track plan duly input to ECoS planning tool.  Also wired up a further 8 points including 2 double slips and all tested.

Thought it was time to carry out some helix load testing with the 20 SSA wagons I have and some mixed results!  Roy tried out his Hornby TTS sound 47 on 8 x ICI TTAs as this loco is very light.

The results were as follows:-

Hornby 47 401 with 8 x TTAs managed OK

ViTrains Large Logo 37310 - 20 x SSA

Hornby DBS 60001 - 20 wagons

Heljan Railfreight Petroleum - 20 wagons

Hornby class 56 - 20 wagons

Bachmann class 37 just made it with 15 wagons

Bachmann class 70 just made it with 10 wagons!!!

Bachmann class 66 managed 15 wagons OK

Very disappointed with the Bachmann locos but the Heljan and Hornby locos romped away with the wagons.

Note- about 6 of the wagons had cast 10 commandment loads in them so we are talking a substantially heavy train.  I think, generally the Helix performance was better than I thought it would be.

Hopefully, will not be so long before the next post and please feel free to comment on the preceding as your thoughts are valuable in developing Parkway.

Thanks and regards

John

Your load testing sounds like turning out similar results to mine. You may find Bach 47s will outperform the 37s despite not being obviously different in chassis arrangement or weight. Heljan 26s do well too. My Bach 70 is one of worst haulers being too light compared with others. My Hornby 60s haul great but seem to want to haul long wheelbase wagons off the track on rad 3 bends... Something with the couplings and they all do it.

M

Hi Matt

You are spot on regarding the couplings on the Hornby class 60.

I have modified the slot where the coupling swings through it's arc.

When you look at the slot, there are two distinct points at each side and I have ground them down flush. I do not have the same problem now.

Regards

John

Hi Jack

I was concerned about the Helix "ski jump" myself but so far so good with both short and long wheelbase rolling stock.

What I have not tried yet are my HAAs yet and hoping the knuckle couplings don't uncouple as they traverse the joint!!

John

John

couple of thoughts on watching video more about the concept than anything else

I assume you have used the Helix to create a longer train path to the lower storage yards.

I would assume the more levels included in the helix the more difficulty the train will have?

have you considered having tow fiddle yards one above the other coming of the Helix half way down, would require a curved point and could only be accessed from the outer track

is the Helix going to be hidden from view where it abuts the scenic section?

Hi Longrail

You are quite correct - two of the lower storage tracks go right round the shed to enable substantial trains to be stored.

The main scenic section will be same level as the helix to helix level shown on video so will sit above the lower storage level.

There will only be 14 inches between boards which was to assist in accessing any problems that may occur during running times.

The upper board depth will be same as lower storage yard - circ 2 foot 6 inches and hoping for a 4 track system for through trains on centre roads. Just need to ensure all testing carried out successfully prior to installing upper board.

Really appreciate your comments - thank you

Regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Class 66

Apologies for the lack of updates but had a bit of a setback with one of my ESU switch pilots.

For some reason, I had two of the tortoise motors seemed to want to operate in sympathy with each other. Finally removed the switchpilot and extension from the layout and spent some time head scratching as to why I could not re-set the switchpilot to factory defaults!!

Problem was mine, not reading the manual properly!! Once I realised that you had to have both track power and power supply both linked from the ECoS controller, I had no difficulty interrogating the accessory decoder and changing the CV to factory default.

A test on the bench seems all Ok now and preparing to re-install the switchpilot+extension on the layout!! I can then start re-laying more fiddle yard track and testing it all before starting on the real business of the upper level scenic section!!

However, have now completed the body of 57312 Solway Princess in Northern Belle livery so will shortly post a photo of complete loco. Gave also prepared Hornby class 90 ready for applying all the DBS decals. 47550 and 47640 are now awaiting final varnish coat now they are in Inverness guise of University of Dundee and University of Strathclyde.

More updates to follow soon.

Thanks for your interest and best regards

John

• Like 1

Good morning everyone

Jumped the gun a bit on the last posting!!  Re-installed everything after re-programming the switchpilot and the same thing happened again - 3 points working simultaneously when attempting to operate one!!

Removed all from the layout again and back to the work bench!!  Checked all was OK between ECoS Controller and Switchpilot and could not see a problem.  Tested 4 points with the rig on the bench and after a few operations I was still

getting two points operating instead of one.  This time, I switched Switchpilot Extensions and tested again - Eureka! All worked as it should do.  After many point changes on the work bench with no problems I re-instated the Modules under the layout,

re-connected all the 4 Tortoise switch machines to the module and did many point changes on the layout (two of the Tortoises are part of a slip set up).  Everything worked as it should so appears I have a duff Switchpilot Extension.  Hope this information helps should any other modellers have a similar problem with ESU modules.

By the way, not sure if mentioned before but Parkway is a replacement layout for the previous Parkway that I had to dismantle due continuous problems with warping Sundaella board (9mm Birch Plywood this time). Should anyone be interested, Mr B made a few videos of the old layout which will show you all some of the stock that ran on old and will run on new layout.  The Container yard that you can see on the old layout will not be on this one due space it took up.  The Heljan crane you see on the videos was sold on Ebay and went for an amazing £700+ !!

You can see the videos on Youtube under "Tractorclag" and all videos related to Parkway are my old layout.

I will keep you all updated on progress and thanks for viewing this topic.

Regards

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

John and I finally managed to sync our calenders for another day on the railway. We managed to rebuild and fault find a few locos but, mostly we were track laying on the lower storage sidings.

Parkway lower storage 2

Above shows the storage for the two helixes, 6 roads for 1 and 7 for the other

Parkway lower storage 1

the right most two tracks are loop storage which loop the full lower level of the layout
the next line moving left is to one helix and
next is to the other line to the same helix
the left most track is for storage.

Parkway lower storage plan

Plan view

There is still loads to do here; -
fitting of the power supply to the tracks,
installation and wiring of the points and frog juicers,
and then the DCC switch pilots

Doubt much will be done for a few months as we are both busy, but when progress is made we will up-date when time allows.

Thanks for reading

Mr B

edit: photo descriptions added
Edited by MrB
  • Like 3

Hello everyone

As Mr B says, much to do regarding electrical system now with another 20 points laid and all the droppers to solder to the storage lines and connect to the DCC bus!

I will continue to fit Tortoise point motors operated from the ECoS Command unit via the ESU switch pilots. The frog juicing is done by utilising two of the switch connections and a common run from the tortoise point motor connections.

As Mr B also mentioned, we have also been working on a couple of locomotives also.

Large Logo 50037 Illustrious now fitted with Express model lighting kit as has 37108 my newly re-sprayed loco in Large Logo livery - just requires completion of modifications on nose ends to complete. Re-sprayed 57312 Solway Princess in Northern Belle livery now ready for re-assembly.

Had a great buy on EBay the other day when I managed to purchase Construction liveried 56037 Richard Trevithick for £65 including postage even though loco fitted with a Hornby Sapphire decoder!

Anyway - will post some photos of locos soon and keep you updated on electrical work. Looking forward to having all this lower level completed and tested so the upper scenic level can be started and proper trains run.

Thank you all for continuing to view the topic and please feel free to comment on progress and help with any suggestions you may have.

Regards

John

Evening all,

John has been busy again with helix testing and the first run of his new class 50 in revised blue. Please see the attached video

Regards

Roy

• Like 3

Hello all

Really pleased with the Hornby LE East Coast 125 as it ascended the Helix with ease, as did the Freightliner class 70 with eight Castle Cement JNAs. The JNAs are fitted with Kadee couplings so performed well on the full circuit up one helix and down the other.

The class 50 - 50037 "Illustrious" is fitted with a Express Model lights and it is great to have the independent functions for head and tail lights.

As said earlier in the topic, more point motors and ESU Switchpilots to install to complete fiddle yard/storage area and then the ECoS Control unit can be updated with the track plans and some route setting programmed in.

Hope you all enjoying the progress, even though relatively slow at times!!

Thanks for viewing

Regards

John