Frog Juicer Query

dseagull

Looks like we keep going over old ground every time 'frog juicers' come up. I guess they are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them.

For me, frog juicers served a purpose as I had to use servos (with no switches) due to space restrictions and they have worked very well.

As regards the additional cost, it is pretty insignificant compared to the cost of a layout and if you use servos no more expensive than using cobalt/tortoise motors.

But still no simpler than a Frog Juicer though....or am I misunderstanding?

What is simpler is that you don't have to worry about the problems of inrush prevention that need to be considered when using frog juicers, and you don't have to fit the frog juicer when you are using an already present frog switch!

Looks like we keep going over old ground every time 'frog juicers' come up. I guess they are like Marmite, you either love them or hate them.

For me, frog juicers served a purpose as I had to use servos (with no switches) due to space restrictions and they have worked very well.

As regards the additional cost, it is pretty insignificant compared to the cost of a layout and if you use servos no more expensive than using cobalt/tortoise motors.

As I said above the Frog Juicer does have its place in the wiring armoury and I have suggested on occasion that people use one in specific situations - it is just not the simple solution that it is often made out to be and is not cheap. When you have DCC control of points you can make real savings by using servo decoders with built in frog switching like the Signalist SC2 where you can DCC your points for £15 or less complete with reliable frog switching - the frog juicer is going to cost you around £10 per frog before you start, add a motor and actuating switch or basic accessory decoder and see where it gets you. Use a Frog Juicer if you need one but don't just install them willy nilly for the sake of it because money is burning a hole in your pocket, sooner or later it will come back to bite you and people have already been bitten.

I might as well add my Tuppence worth. I spent some time on the question of how i would operate my points via DCC.

Also not being to up on the complexity of wiring, I eventually installed Traintronics DCC Point motors. Not liking the clonking

Solenoid type. Plus they have there own decoder, & resistors built in.

When it comes to wiring the frog there are 3 wires only. 1 outer rail. 1. inner rail. 1. to frog, that's it.

For DCC. 2 wires from the Bus.

For DC A DPDT switch can be used, powered from a separate 9- 18 volt supply.

My points that are far from my operating position are operated DCC.

Those that are nearer I use a DC switch panel 12 switches one 12V transformer.

Infact I find using this method i can set a route in seconds.

Yes, the wire total is more, but you don't have to do it all at once. Regards.

Archived