D855 - but where

westernglory

Esteemed gentlemen,

I wonder if I can pick the brains of the group and enquire of the possible location of the attached 1968 shot of D855 please?

On another forum, many sheds in the West Country have been eliminated, as have variously Banbury, Leamington, Hereford, Bescot, Gloucester, Severn Tunnel Junction and Wolverhampton (Stafford Road).

The gut feel seems to be that it may be somewhere on the LM Region, but so far I have drawn a blank. Any fresh ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

post-113-0-05605500-1423422229_thumb.jpg

Going O/T slightly, I was checking both Horton Road and Newton Abbot and decided it was neither of those for various reasons - but while searching through the Flickr engine sheds group, I came upon this beast at Bath Road and nearly choked on my Chablis.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/68861278@N03/16003337241/in/pool-703246@N21

I am really going to have to lie down.

After a full afternoon of deliberation, the smart money has gone on Shrewsbury.

The roof line of the shed building is identical in this shot of a Grange.    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16749798@N08/4153228152/

(Martin Street has confirmed that NBL D800s had a turn from Wolves to Shrewsbury and then worked a Milk train in the dead of night - around 1967 - 1968).

• RMweb Gold

Sorry chaps I am going with Newton Abbot still on this one.

Kevin

I think not - the engine shed at Newton - even after conversion for diesel use - had a northlight roof; the carriage shed had gable end roofs.  By the time 'Warships' were appearing in maroon the depot was in any case 100% dieselised and the coal stage had gone - Newton Abbot closed to steam in the Summer of 1962 and D855 wasn't repainted in maroon until 1966 thus the chances of seeing it standing in maroon livery front of a coal stage ramp at Newton Abbot (which I don't think was like that anyway) are as near non-existent as makes no difference - especially as the diesel servicing shed was almost on the site of the previous coalstage.

Further the presence of the Brush Type 4 also suggests to me that it isn't Newton.

Archived