Where to buy some cable

PGC

For a job that is nothing to do with model railways, I need to buy some 4 core (minimum) cable that is like the old telephone wire. I hope this image will both show what I mean and not be copyright infringement.

I have tried looking at the Maplins and RS websites, but can't see anything, although I could be searching for the wrong product completely. I would really appreciate it if someone can give me pointers on what I need to search for or, even better still, where I can buy some of this cable.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Do be careful cutting telephone curly cords, they tend to have a core made from aluminium strands and are unsolderable. That's why they are crimped. You can cut the spades off these connections and press the shank into a connector strip.

As a retired telephone engineer I have used these "operator headset cables" but I would not recommend them, they can get warm with "heavy" current passage. 

As to four core telephone cable, well firstly the usual configuration is 6 core( 3 twins) and being single stranded it is not really suitable for model railway use.

Seek out your local  electronics supplier and buy by the 100 metres, ask if they have a certain colour which they cannot sell, that's the cheap one.

Have you considered using X-Bus cables? These can be bought  up to 6 metres long. Try Roco's website.

As always, I hope this helps.

I don't think curly phone cord is much use, I would not put oe than half an amp through it and the only way to connect it seems to be crimping.  I need to understand what you want to use it for, even on 16 volts connecting the wrong sort of hand held controller through this cord could easily start a fire.

Thanks for all the responses. I should have made clear that it's not mains cable I'm after.

An elderly neighbour has an old game controller in which the cable has had an accident and she's asked me if I can not only repair it but extend the length of the cable at the same time. It seems more logical to buy new cable rather than repair the old which seems about 10 years old.

I didn't think of searching Google for coiled cable - that's the way my brain works, at times it doesn't see obvious alternatives! Between that search option and the replies posted above, I'm sure I will come up with some cable, so thanks for your help.

Phil

Thanks for all the responses. I should have made clear that it's not mains cable I'm after.

An elderly neighbour has an old game controller in which the cable has had an accident and she's asked me if I can not only repair it but extend the length of the cable at the same time. It seems more logical to buy new cable rather than repair the old which seems about 10 years old.

I didn't think of searching Google for coiled cable - that's the way my brain works, at times it doesn't see obvious alternatives! Between that search option and the replies posted above, I'm sure I will come up with some cable, so thanks for your help.

Phil

Nothing wrong with using "mains" cable for a task below it's capacity, however the reverse is not the case. I use 0.75 mm single insulated wire which is intended for "panel" wiring where it is inside a protected area. It is good for 230 volts and so 12/16 volts is no problem.

It seems to be de rigure to use 10 amp rated 2.5mm mains cable for "Bus Bars" even though it is only protected by a 3 amp fuse.

Nothing wrong with using "mains" cable for a task below it's capacity, however the reverse is not the case. I use 0.75 mm single insulated wire which is intended for "panel" wiring where it is inside a protected area. It is good for 230 volts and so 12/16 volts is no problem.

It seems to be de rigure to use 10 amp rated 2.5mm mains cable for "Bus Bars" even though it is only protected by a 3 amp fuse.

I agree that over-specified cable can be used, but if you see my original posting, I stipulate 4 core, and unless matters have changed since I last wired a plug (yesterday, ironically) mains cable only has three cores!

Phil

I agree that over-specified cable can be used, but if you see my original posting, I stipulate 4 core, and unless matters have changed since I last wired a plug (yesterday, ironically) mains cable only has three cores!

Phil

You can get three and earth 1.5mm for 2-way switches, stairs lighting, corridor lighting etc.

I should tell you that before I joined our local telephone company, I was an electrician for some 22 years.

• 1 month later...

Archived