EMAIL from Hornby 6 LOCOS due in this week

Stevelewis

An  email just  recvd  from  Hornby announces  the imminent arrival of  New locos this week:

3 variants of  J 15,  Star Class British Monarch 4000,  Rood  Ashton  Hall   & K1  early Crest

Also   Troop Train  Train  Pack. (  with  the  Clerestory  coaches)

NOTE  the  email  states  these  are  arriving  earler  than  anticipated,  and  Pre  orders  should  be  processed  this  week,  but  quantities  are  limited  so further  pre-orders  are invited,  so it  may  be  worth  looking  at    the  Hornby  website  if  you  require  any of  these  items.

I spoke  with  a  retailer   today   and  he  had  no  knowledge  of  the  contents  of  the  eMail,   I note That Hattons  are  quoting  a  March  date  for  J 15 availability, intersetingly if  you add  the minumun postage  cost  4.00  to  the quoted  price  of  the  J15 from Hattons ist less than  £5 below  Hornby  direct  price of  £109.99

I suppose  the  price  is  quite  reasonable  for  a Metal diecast boilered  Twin Flywheel  equipped 5 pole motored  0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Wonder how much of this will filter through to the retailers

This month's BRM has this very issue discussed in forthright terms in its "Tail Lamp" piece at the back of the mag, as well as a visit to a retailer who has clearly had enough of being messed around by Margate. I'd recommend reading it to anyone involved in the Hornby direct sales and related discussions before Xmas.

I had thought that given the timescales for magazine publishing this was pre-Xmas history, but today's email in particular is really rubbing it in retailer's faces. I am trying to think of a major manufacturer of anything who sends out comms to potential customers that makes no reference at all to retailers. I also note this seems to an area of discussion that Mr Kohler has avoided, despite coverage in several mags and extensively on forums (fora?).

It is an area that Hornby might be wise to clarify their thoughts on for both retailers and customers in the very near future before it becomes more contentious. As has been pointed out before I have no doubt that the various new entrants are or will be busy building strong relationships with retailers. Which would appear to make Hornby's apparent strategy and/or silence on the issue a bit odd.

• RMweb Premium

I agree with you Ruggedpeak but I really doubt you'll ever get a clarification from Hornby. It's not their style. They want you to think they are supportive of retailers while pulling the rug out beneath their feet. That said it is clear that stocks have got through to retailers . I've seen Kernow, Rails and Arcadia all mentioned in J15 thread, and I know Hereford have got stocks. All less expensive than Hornby Direct. That said I'm also disappointed by the number of people on that thread that have just gone to Hornby Direct because Hattons don't appear to have stock immediately !

• RMweb Gold

OK,fair enough.Remember it's their choice and their reaction is understandable,given the recent debacle of the Exeter affair which will be ingrained in the memory for a while yet.Thus we are conditioned to catch them while you can...as soon as you can.Proof of integrity of supply is being established which hopefully will stabilise what in some ways has been a panic buying situation of new releases.

... it is clear that stocks have got through to retailers . I've seen Kernow, Rails and Arcadia all mentioned in J15 thread, and I know Hereford have got stocks.

The two items I had pre-ordered that arrived in the last couple of weeks are being shipped to me from a retailer.

Even if stocks are tight, there are retailers that are receiving some stock at least. I don't imagine it will sit on shelves very long - certainly not the J15s.

• RMweb Gold

That said I'm also disappointed by the number of people on that thread that have just gone to Hornby Direct because Hattons don't appear to have stock immediately !

I won't buy from Hattons, due to the fact that they kept sending items order by Yodel, when I'd specifically asked for Royal Mail Special Delivery and made that request in writing to them - when returning a Loco that had been damaged in transit. Did they listen.. no and sent the replacement by you guessed it Yodel!!!

I won't buy from Hattons, due to the fact that they kept sending items order by Yodel, when I'd specifically asked for Royal Mail Special Delivery and made that request in writing to them - when returning a Loco that had been damaged in transit. Did they listen.. no and sent the replacement by you guessed it Yodel!!!

It is  notable  that  some  people  seem to have  problems  with  Yodel  whilst  others  dont,  when Yodel was  first set  up  when  it split  from DHL( I think)  we  had  real problems with  them  with hattons  deliveries, my snag  was  that most  of my orders exceed the  2KG  limit  which Hattons impose  for  the £7 next day dely  charge for Royal Mail ( they will split deliveries in to less than 2KG parcels  but  the  cost  doubles)

Anyway several complaints were made by Hattons  and  Myself to Yodel  and eventually  the  Couriers  were  sorted  out  and  these  days  I  have   no problems  whatsover  with  them, The Couriers ( there  are  3 different ones  who deliver to my address) all are  courteous  and  polite

... Some people really should wake up and realise Hattons are not the only retailer in the country and neither are they necessarily the cheapest.

That's a bit rude. Maybe some of us are already awake and have chosen Hattons for our own reasons?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably,I have also had the irritation of having that specific request ignored...not once but several times.That said,much as I have an aversion to Yodel,they have delivered the goods intact on each occasion.No,Hattons are not always the cheapest ot the first to the starting gate for stock.They do what they do.They ain't perfect but by and large they are efficient and reliable.Shame to take issue with each other over it,though,as we seem to be doing further on.

Archived