Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Isle of Man TT

Del

Any fans on here?
I've just finished Rick Broadbent's book 'That Near-Death Thing', and although bikes aren't really my bag, I find myself fascinated by the TT.
It's not on until June, and I'm finding out more about the races and the riders, and trying to work out who to support.
I know Guy Martin from his TV stuff, and really like what he does on telly, but don't know much about him as a racer (although I always like a sportsman that entertains) and I have huge admiration for Conor Cummins, after his comeback from that massive smash a few years ago, and doing well against the odds.
But I'm leaning towards Bruce Anstey, the fastest man ever on the course, and almost exactly the same age as me.

Any fans on here?

I've just finished Rick Broadbent's book 'That Near-Death Thing', and although bikes aren't really my bag, I find myself fascinated by the TT.

It's not on until June, and I'm finding out more about the races and the riders, and trying to work out who to support.

I know Guy Martin from his TV stuff, and really like what he does on telly, but don't know much about him as a racer (although I always like a sportsman that entertains) and I have huge admiration for Conor Cummins, after his comeback from that massive smash a few years ago, and doing well against the odds.

But I'm leaning towards Bruce Anstey, the fastest man ever on the course, and almost exactly the same age as me.

"That Near-Death Thing" is an excellent book. I wrote a longer review here.

First saw the TT practises in 1993 when I went over to see the railways. Those guys are brilliant and a bit crazy. Now I watch the TV coverage for general views of the island as mach as the sport but it still fascinates me.

• RMweb Premium

The what?  The where? :jester:  :sungum:

Mmm, Guy is OK, he was helpful when we approached him for a fund raiser for one of the local racing clubs - likes his privacy though.  John McGuiness too, nice bloke.  Bruce is cool, Cam Donald too, Conor is just one of the lads - local to us.

The big thing about the TT is it's free.....just as well as it is expensive to get here.  Plus the closeness of spectating, I'll post some shots when I'm on the other computer.

• RMweb Premium

Never mind horror movies, zombie apocalypses, slasher flicks, end of the world et al, footage from a windscreen cam round the TT course is the scariest thing I've ever seen....

Kinda like the run to work every morning in the 214... :jester:

Of the times I have been lucky enough to get across to the TT, 3 particular times stick in my mind: 

Mac Hobson from Gosforth Newcastle beating Biland to win the 1977 sidecar race,  - I have never ever seen a more terrifying spectacle. He showed us his outfit beforehand and was a really modest shy kind of guy. But he and his 'passenger' Kenny Birch were killed the following year just after the start when the outfit flipped on the brow of Bray Hill after catching a misalligned manhole cover. My medic friend reckoned they would have known nothing about it, though they are still mourned on Tyneside.

Fortunately we missed that race, though we did witness Hailwood's i978 come-back win, riding that iconic red/green booming Ducati 900SS.

I can't remember which year but we stood in the churchyard at Braddan Bridge to watch a demo lap by the old racers Duke, Agostini & co : of whom the undoubted star was Stanley Woods. He would have been in his late eighties, on a Velocette and going like the clappers in what looked to be his pre war kit.

dh

The TT is not really my bag....I much prefer the short circuit stuff, i.e. Oulton Park, Cadwell Park etc.,

I have only been twice in my life so far........first time in the sixties just for one day, saw Hailwood and Agostini going at it......last time I went was in the nineties.

I think its more about the social atmosphere....most fans taking a weeks holiday to do it.

Love my bikes though.......my avatar is me at Darley Moor circuit 10 years ago .....aged 56.....what a buzzzzz.

Bob.

If you ain't tried it, don't knock it. Had my ride around in 1969 on my 1952 Vincent Series C Rapide. Tried in again in 1973 in a 1967 Morris Minor, I still don't know which was the more scary. That was the year our holiday ended on a very sombre note. We were drinking in the evening in the Highlander pub on the course when a fire engine passed by at high speed. The landlord commented "There's something very serious happening in Douglas, they never call on Peal for help!" There was, the fire at Summerland.  We caught the bus back to Douglas and took a taxi, for which payment was refused, to the Noble hospital to volunteer to help. My wife was then a nurse, we were too late but thanked for the thought.

Archived