Damaged GWR Coral A wagon

With some other wagons I bought was a GWR Coral A wagon which had been damaged, for ages I just left it and after trying to straighten out the damaged side I found that the whole side had been affected not just one end

post-1131-0-28977000-1424079277.jpeg

I bit the bullet and stripped all of it back to a set of parts, the question is what to do with it ?  Looked for ideas on the web without any luck. I could try and make a replacement set of bars out of brass, but will it be worth the effort ?

Thoughts pleasepost-1131-0-28977000-1424079277.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

With some other wagons I bought was a GWR Coral A wagon which had been damaged, for ages I just left it and after trying to straighten out the damaged side I found that the whole side had been affected not just one end

attachicon.gifwagon10.jpeg

I bit the bullet and stripped all of it back to a set of parts, the question is what to do with it ?  Looked for ideas on the web without any luck. I could try and make a replacement set of bars out of brass, but will it be worth the effort ?

Thoughts pleaseattachicon.gifwagon10.jpeg

Of course - a bit of brass angle, carefully bent, and the job's done.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The prototype is a quite unique looking wagon. There are some good pictures on the internet. The bar could be small square section bent with a very thin strip of brass soldered on to give the impression of angle, but with extra strength. The uprights have plate gussets to give extra support. The other option is to run the wagon in loaded status. The load then supporting the frame. Either way a very neat looking wagon.

Wagon 41723 at Didcot https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5274/14283510746_be25efe39b_b.jpg

I have wondered if a wagon sheet was ever used over the crates on these wagons ?

I ask as I have thought of putting one over my old Ks model to hide the fact it has two few frames

Any ideals if this ever happened

Archived