Upgrading a Coin in the Slot Layout - Suggestions?

BG John

I made a bit of progress today, involving a jigsaw and a couple of bits of plywood, but nothing worth photographing! Maybe something more interesting will happen tomorrow. Or maybe not! It's much easier when you're working on a layout that isn't two miles from all your tools and stock of bits and pieces, and you're making it up as you go along!

• Like 1

Progress this weekend wasn't exactly spectacular! Just two bits of plywood cut to bring the rear corners up to the level of the high level track. They will be fixed in place, while the high level itself will be removable for maintenance of the tracks below. The whole top will be scenic with the tracks disappearing behind a backscene. The low level tracks will disappear into tunnels.

post-7091-0-00283800-1425837526.jpg

post-7091-0-05909600-1425837535.jpg

It looks like there's been a rock fall onto the track. It's lucky the power is disconnected at the moment!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a plastic dragon you can have if you wish. It's soft floppy plastic, which could be "motorised" for movement?

The picture shows it on an A4 sheet to give an idea of size.

Kind regards,

Tony Pritchard (TVR member)

post-851-0-03944200-1426766951.jpg

Wow! A bit bigger than I was thinking of, although certainly intimidating, in a rather cute way! Not sure what to say. When we've done this layout, we have ideas for something else, and I've suggested doing something narrow gauge in 0-16.5, so he'd be ideal for that if he's too big for this layout.

I'm sorry to report that the shuttle unit I had apparently already left the building, I can't find it anymore :( :sorry:

No problem Dutch Master. I think we'll probably use the one Titan suggested, as it looks nice and simple.

I think we've worked out where the new track for the shunting is going, and the plan is to add a couple of dummy points leading to sidings, to make it look a bit like a goods yard. More of my credibility as a finescale modeller blown, by knocking up non working 00 points!!!!

Great. Thanks Tony. That will save a bit of work. I've been counting up how many Scalescenes kits I've got to knock up, and pretty much every one won't be built as intended, so one less tunnel mouth helps!

Edited by BG John

I hope dragons aren't on the list of items banned by Royal Mail!

post-7091-0-48707300-1426933092.jpg

He or she flew off to terrify the crew of a milk train arriving at Ingletyme. How do you tell the sex of a dragon, as there are no obvious signs underneath?

post-7091-0-75769300-1426933108.jpg

Offering to help with the soldering on the dummy points I'm bodging up for this layout!

post-7091-0-10817100-1426933124.jpg

Thanks Tony.

• Like 2

This dragon seems to be a bit lacking in the social graces. That's not the best way to meet your new neighbours!

post-7091-0-43459700-1426957463.jpg

Henry is off on a day out from his tunnel, so Thomas offered to stand in for him!

post-7091-0-13907300-1426957476.jpg

Does anyone have a battered Henry, or any other TTTE, body that could be adapted? Only the smokebox, chimney and face need to be visible. I can build the wall a suitable height to hide the defects!

Donations of any model bits and pieces that would be useful gratefully accepted, so we can get this railway running for Easter to raise some money to help rebuild our narrow gauge line.

And anyone who would like to come and help with the layout is most welcome too. It looks like the worst period in the Teifi Valley Railway's history is nearly over, and we can get on with putting right all the damage that was done. Doing up this layout is just a small part of it.

https://www.facebook.com/TeifiValleyRly

• Like 3

This one seems to be designed to be switched on by almost any coin, but appears to have a bit of a bend in the coin guide that encourages anything smaller than a 50p to fall off before it gets to the switch!

I've made my own points for every layout I've built in the last 40 years (except my current Ingletyme), but today I totally blew any credibility I had for quality work! I blame the awful code 100 rail I was using, as it's like massive girders compared to code 75 bullhead, or even finer bridge rail, I normally use!

We need a couple of fake points for the goods yard. The plan is for a loco and wagon to shuttle back and forth on a piece of plain track, and have a couple of dummy sidings. My first effort involved trying to seriously cheat by making some appalling interlaced turnouts, using some flexible track we found lying around at the railway, made by GT Italy. But today I decided to do it properly, and found two lengths of copper clad sleeper strip that don't match the rest of my stock, but are just about the same thickness as the sleepers in this track.

I printed out two Peco small radius point templates, and stuck them to a piece of plywood with double sided tape. Then I cut the sleeper strip to length to use in the most critical places. I stuck more double sided tape to the top of the templates, and stuck the sleepers in place. Then I filled in the gaps with sleepers from the GT track, with chairs cut off where they would be in the way. A lot of them need to be longer, but that was a job for later.

post-7091-0-48660700-1427570802.jpg

Lots of bodging then took place, as I cut and filed bits of rail to look a bit like pointwork, to someone with poor eyesight viewing through a telescope from a mile away! The only bit that has to work is the curved part of the left hand point, so I've made that mostly from continuous rail, with just one soldered joint, where the "blade" meets the stock rail. A Dapol 6-wheel milk tank just about runs through it, so it should work well enough.

I've started extending the plastic sleepers that are too short, by sticking extra bits using plastic solvent, but haven't tried unsticking the point from the template yet, so this may not work. I'm giving the first few some time to set before I try.

post-7091-0-37327100-1427570813.jpg

Here's an appallingly embarrassing warts and all close up, where you can see nothing but warts! I didn't spot the blob of solder on the check rail until I looked at the photo, but it's gone now!!! I've extended the plastic sleepers in the middle of the photo, and will try taking it off the templates later tonight, or maybe in the morning! If they don't fall off, I'll do the rest in the same way, but if they do fall off I'll bodge something up!

post-7091-0-23066800-1427570830.jpg

The target audience won't spend much time studying the track, and it will be partly hidden behind a platform anyway!

• Like 2

The loose bits of sleeper fell off when I removed the points from the template, so I stuck it to a very thin sheet of plasticard, then stuck the missing bits to that. Once the track is painted or ballasted it won't show, and the extra thickness is irrelevant. So I think it's finished now.

post-7091-0-71152900-1427655100.jpg

• Like 2

When Henry the Green Engine threw his toys out of the pram and refused to leave the tunnel because it was raining, he set a precedent that other stroppy engines started to follow. When No 101 found out that his goods branch was going to be closed beyond where it crossed the main line, he refused to leave the tunnel just after the crossing. Management obviously hadn't learned from the Henry incident, and repeated the same disciplinary action. The tunnel entrance was bricked up and the track removed, leaving No 101 in his own Room 101, where he experienced his worst nightmare of having to watch other engines shunting his trucks just a short distance away.

post-7091-0-47331800-1427655295.jpg

If people will donate tunnel mouths and old loco bodies, I'm afraid this is what happens!!!!! When all the white bits are painted black, and I've touched up his face, I'll put the tunnel interior over the sad creature to add to his gloom.

This is a complete unit that will slide into the tunnel mouth from the back. The face is an icon I found on the internet, printed out and stuck to a bit of plasticard. The Superquick brick paper is wrapped round plasticard too.

The fake points I've just made will be in the goods yard No 101 used to love bossing trucks about in!

post-7091-0-39728800-1427655308.jpg

• Like 5

I made some progress today, so it's now possible to get an idea of what the lower level will look like. I've laid most of the new track, and my fake points are pretty much hidden behind the platform! No 101 is looking sadly out of the tunnel on his truncated branch line, while a diseasal shunts his trucks!

post-7091-0-84177600-1427736236.jpg

This is the new goods yard. the rear track will have a loco and a couple of wagons shuttling back and forth, and the two sidings are just fakes. I couldn't lay the second one as I was two rail joiners short! I'll take a soldering iron next time to overcome that problem! It will be very short and on a very tight curve, but it's a train set, and nothing will run on it! I've shortened and lowered the Hornby footbridge, and started extending it across to the high level station. I've also started on the tunnels, but more on those another day, when I see if my experiment is working!

post-7091-0-77864900-1427736248.jpg

• Like 4

The job for today was tunnels. The Teifi Valley Railway owns the trackbed for several miles in the opposite direction to where the narrow gauge line used to run, and will run again soon. It includes this tunnel in a rock cutting:

post-7091-0-36898300-1427824241.jpg

Now there are four of them, and three will soon have trains running through them!!!

post-7091-0-40680300-1427824315.jpg

post-7091-0-62700000-1427824329.jpg

I edited a photo (not the one above) in GIMP, and printed out copies, both the right way round, and as mirror images. For protection, I thought I'd try laminating them, rather than sticking to card and varnishing. I cut a piece of ply as a backing for each of them and stuck them on. The one I did first was stuck with PVA, as it's all I had with me at the time, but the two I did today were stuck with UHU. I roughed up the back with sandpaper, then applied a coat of UHU that I left to almost dry, as recommended for non porous surfaces, then applied UHU to both surfaces and stuck them together. It seems to have worked, but only time will tell if it lasts!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have seen something which looks a LOT like this at Grosmont model train shop on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Is this a coincidence, or is that where this ended up? Sorry if this has already been noted, however I do not have enough time to go through all of this as I am currently in English.

Regards,

Peter

Hi,

I have seen something which looks a LOT like this at Grosmont model train shop on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Is this a coincidence, or is that where this ended up? Sorry if this has already been noted, however I do not have enough time to go through all of this as I am currently in English.

Regards,

Peter

There are lots of them around Peter. They were manufactured for Hornby, and have a Hornby part number. I'm not involved with this one any more, but work is progressing.

• 2 years later...