Upgrading a Coin in the Slot Layout - Suggestions?

BG John

Oh dear, my modelling career seems to have taken a further turn for the worse! After 43 years of claiming to be a finescale modeller, although I didn't actually do much, I went back to 00 gauge with Ingletyme. And now this :O:

post-7091-0-41042300-1424200074.jpg

This thing was donated to the Teifi Valley Railway by a model shop some years ago, and must be pretty ancient. But it's been a useful fundraiser for the railway, so has a purpose. It obviously needed a bit of maintenance and a clean up, so I offered to have a look at it. The first problem was that we couldn't find the keys to open the perspex top, or the coin box. So today, I attacked it with an angle grinder and a drill. It's open now!!! I bet someone will turn up tomorrow and tell me exactly where the keys are!

So this is what it looks like with the top off. The minor damage to the top will be hidden by some shiny new brackets to replace the old slightly rusty ones!

post-7091-0-73041400-1424200435.jpg

I put the locos back on the track without cleaning anything, turned the power on, flicked the microswitch that's operated by a coin being inserted, and it worked! I had trains running for a while, but then the diesel shunter suddenly stopped. A driving wheel had slipped on its axle, and one of the coupling rod pins had wedged between the spokes. We have a new member who fixes such things, so I've passed the buck on that little job!

So what do I do with it? To my finescale tuned mind, it looks like something that can only be described in language that would give the RMweb profanity filter apoplexy, but I'm sure many kids would love it as it is. It is a bit tired and dated though, and could do with a good clean up and maybe some sort of hint of realism. It's in quite a small room, and having access to three sides wastes a lot of space, so I'm inclined (and a couple of people I've mentioned it to agree) to have just one viewing side so the back can be put up against a wall. I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on it.

Would anyone like to offer constructive suggestions for what I could do to it?

• Like 1

It doesn't look that bad!

I've seen a lot worse (in my garage for starters) and a bonus - it works.

I have even seen similar at some shows.

Is it two circles of track or a folded figure 8?

I think you should keep it going as a slot machine/money box and just bring it into the digital age.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I used to love extra gimmicky features (Like the Trago Mills model railway had) - examples would be a windmill with turning sails, a crane moving a crate around, maybe even a working signal? As the train goes past it resets to 'stop', then slowly tilts down to 'go' again?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

My only suggestion involves semtex.......... :O  Which I guess isn't very helpfull :mosking:

Sorry couldn't resist :whistle: 

Make it digital, use static grass to refresh it, add a few gimicks, plonk in the corner of the next exibition and give the proceeds to the local hospice is about all I can really come up with.

Regards Lez.Z.

• Like 2

It will stay as a slot machine Kenton, and we're keeping the money Lez.Z, as we've got a rather mangled full size narrow gauge railway to rebuild! I suppose we can have an animated scene with the police and army dealing with the semetex. It looks like the house in the middle could have been an illicit bomb factory, as there's been a nasty fire there!

It's two separate ovals, with a Hornby twin train controller hidden underneath, connected to a timer triggered by money going down the chute. It won't be going digital, as I don't see any point in complicating a pretty simple system, unless someone wants to donate the equipment. Even if they did, we'd probably sell it to buy a few full sized sleepers!

I rather like the idea of adding a few gimmicks though. It makes sense to get it available for use quickly, and gradually work on adding new scenes, maybe as we can acquire the bits to make them. Regular visitors can watch out for the changes. I would like to upgrade it into something that looks more like a "proper" model railway though, even if it's just to ease my embarrassment at being associated with it!

It should have some better motive power running on it tomorrow, while I work on tidying up the room it's in. I need to test and run-in the "pre owned" Bachmann Pannier and new Heljan Railbus I bought for Ingletyme, but can't run at home yet!

We've just refurbished one of these using a mixture of buildings contemporaneous with the layout itself (early seventies) and skaledale RTP ware. We replaced the coin mech, transformer, timer and speed controller with modern equivalents and 're scattered' and ballasted. The track was relaid and fake points installed. A new cover has been fitted (the most expensive aspect of the refurb) and the carcass repainted. As it's going in a shop aimed at younger visitors it's been 'Sodorfied'.

post-14090-0-62290000-1424273651.jpg

Edited by Bezzy Oppo
  • Like 9

The way I see it, the most likely people to be putting money in the slot are going to be youngsters, so do you really need to worry about the 'realism' side of things? I'm sure all they will be bothered about is seeing trains zooming round and round. Like others have said I think giving the scatter a refresh and maybe adding a gimmick or two would do the trick (I'm partial to a windmill).

Anyway that's just my point of view. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and I hope it raises plenty money.

Ooooooooooooo you've got to have trains passing each other!! find your inner eight year old and follow your heart.

There is another forum thread on here about promoting the hobby in public and if you ask me you have the ideal vehicle there. I agree with what you say about updating the scenics etc. But I'd be tempted to stay with off the shelf buildings that have been "improved" rather than anything scratch built (new or otherwise) reason being that it lets people know that you can start with the ready to plonk stuff, but then improve it if your skills and appetite for it want to.

Hopefully it will rustle up a few memories in any older members of the public and create a few for the younger ones. Must admit there was something like that in my local Beatties store in Wolverhampton when I was a kid and  I'd spend what felt like ages just staring at the wonder of it and wishing it was mine.

• Like 2

I must admit I was all for bringing it into the 21st century regarding scenic treatment but to all intents and purposes it's two sheets of ply glued to bark walling. I was finally convinced that rescattering was the most appropriate way forward by fellow colleagues in crime. It's come out ok, reliability has been proved by my 4 & 5 year old with a fistful of 50 pence pieces and the keys to the cash drawer! Available to view this summer season in Pickering, if anyone fancies fish 'n chips in Whitby....Right, packing for the SECC; onwards and upwards and back to 7mm!

• Like 1

Then a new volunteer joined in, and a plan started to develop. Stage one was to remove the odd wing bits that made tunnels at both ends:

post-7091-0-08344100-1424286883.jpg

Then the cork rock faces were removed. They were just held in place by loads of vicious nails round the edge of the top board:

post-7091-0-91426400-1424286897.jpg

The top board was held in place by wood pillars nailed in place from underneath. No glue at all fortunately:

post-7091-0-31161700-1424286910.jpg

The top was turned round and stood in place parallel to the bottom, rather than overhanging it at an odd angle. It lines up along the back edge:

post-7091-0-71132600-1424286919.jpg

• Like 2

The current plan is to:

• Cut round the top board with a jigsaw to remove the nasty nails
  • Lay a second oval of track on the bottom layer inside the first one, and create an island platform. We found a box of flexi track in the weekend clearout.
  • Cobble together a train detection gadget that stops one train in the bottom platform, and starts one away on the other track. It will switch one controller between the two.
  • Get it working and presentable ASAP, so it can be let lose on the public.
  • Build a longer board for the top level to extend that track a bit.
  • Lower the level of the top board a bit, and build a retaining wall along the front, chop the footbridge in half and have a foot crossing from the top platform, with the bridge going to the bottom platform.
  • Gradually upgrade and add features, always making sure we keep it running when we're not working on it.

We'll probably put a backscene along the back, so the trains disappear into, and pop out of, proper tunnels.

Of course all this could evolve in a different way!

• Like 5

We've just refurbished one of these using a mixture of buildings contemporaneous with the layout itself (early seventies) and skaledale RTP ware. We replaced the coin mech, transformer, timer and speed controller with modern equivalents and 're scattered' and ballasted. The track was relaid and fake points installed. A new cover has been fitted (the most expensive aspect of the refurb) and the carcass repainted. As it's going in a shop aimed at younger visitors it's been 'Sodorfied'.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That looks great Bezzy. I like the fake point. We discussed points, but decided they would be a potential source of problems. A siding or two with interesting things parked in them might add to the interest.

Restricting viewing to the front horrified one of the longstanding members today. She said the kids loved running round the layout following the trains. I can see her point, but it's in a small room, and space is limited, both for other things and for safety. So they'll have to make do with watching from the front, and seeing the trains pop in and out of tunnels.

How much are you charging to use yours Bezzy, and for how long? Ours had a price on it of 50p, but it looks like it will actually work with any disk that rolls down the slot. 50p seems a bit much, especially compared to what we charge for other things on the site.

We have the room and having seen one in operation and the way kids run around it we decided to try and keep it as original as possible. I forgot to mention we added tunnel portals and a smattering of RTP trees from the Skaledale range too. We achieved consensus that 100 seconds for your 50 pence was about right. A new coin op mech was around £40 IIRC. I have it set up sans cover in my kitchen at present and every visitor goes straight to it and wants to see it running. They're a small part of model rail heritage and I think worth hanging on to and looking after. A small piece of nostalgic wonder that still has the ability to beguile even the most tech savvy six year old.

post-14090-0-62719100-1424300948.jpg

A big thanks to all me chums at East Riding Finescale who helped turn this around so promptly!

Edited by Bezzy Oppo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There are a few of these type layouts at the 'Trago Mills' complex at Newton Abbot, our 4 year old loves setting them going so I know they are a draw to that age group! Their going rate is 20p, we have to ensure we have a sufficient supply if we go there.... 

• Like 2

We have the room and having seen one in operation and the way kids run around it we decided to try and keep it as original as possible. I forgot to mention we added tunnel portals and a smattering of RTP trees from the Skaledale range too. We achieved consensus that 100 seconds for your 50 pence was about right. A new coin op mech was around £40 IIRC. I have it set up sans cover in my kitchen at present and every visitor goes straight to it and wants to see it running. They're a small part of model rail heritage and I think worth hanging on to and looking after. A small piece of nostalgic wonder that still has the ability to beguile even the most tech savvy six year old.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A big thanks to all me chums at East Riding Finescale who helped turn this around so promptly!

The coin op mech on this one seems fine, although I've just been flicking the microswitch with the door open, so haven't seen it work with money yet! It looks like it will work with any coin, so there's the option for users to give themselves a discount! Or even pay extra!

I'll show your photos to my fellow conspirator, and see what he thinks of it. We're certainly aiming to stick with RTP buildings etc, as he collects old model railway stuff and does it up, so has plenty of bits lying around.

We've made a bit more progress. The top board has been trimmed round the edges to remove the evil nails, and is seen here more or less in its new position.

Rather than adding a second circuit on the low level, the plan is now to lay track roughly where the new track is dumped, and have a loco and wagons shunting between a tunnel and a goods platform. My partner in crime thinks he has the bits to build a shuttle unit for this.

We'll put the rock face back and extend the top board to the edges of the layout, add a backscene, and proper tunnel mouths where the lines disappear. We'll also modify the footbridge to connect the High and Low Level Stations. We'll probably remove the hill behind the station building, so tiny viewers can see right to the back of the layout. It's in a small room, so there is really only space to view it from two sides.

The water tank will go somewhere more railwaylike, making the burned out house more visible. We'll probably put flickering red and orange LEDs inside, and have the emergency services poised for action, but I've suggested we perch a dragon on the hillside daring them to put the fire out. We are near to where the last dragon in Wales lived after all!

We'll make other stuff up as we go along!

post-7091-0-25415700-1424646415.jpg

• Like 8

As the TVR is struggling to get back on its feet at the moment, we can't spend any money on the layout, but it could raise a bit of money to help, so I wondered if anyone has a few bits in their collection of surplus stuff they might like to donate. We will need 4 tunnel mouths, 3 single track and one double track. They don't need to be Hornby, any make will do, but RTP rather than kits or scratchbuilt.

Anything else that could be used to create interesting scenes to keep kids amused could be useful too.

And if anyone has a 4mm ish scale dragon who needs to return to its native Wales!

Edited by BG John

If he doesn't, I (probably) have an RTR shuttle unit (DC, mind!). Come to think of it, I'd have to look for it, I'm not sure I actually still have it :O :sorry:

Thanks Dutch_Master. This is DC, and as I said earlier, if we had anything as complicated as a DCC system, we'd probably flog it to pay for useful bits!

If we can't produce a home grown unit, we'll come begging!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dutch_Master. This is DC, and as I said earlier, if we had anything as complicated as a DCC system, we'd probably flog it to pay for useful bits!

If we can't produce a home grown unit, we'll come begging!

For a cheap simple shuttle solution try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-MOTOR-REVERSE-POLARITY-CYCLIC-TIMER-SWITCH-TIME-REPEATER-700-300s-2A-12V-/281181038050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4177b225e2

Just add a short isolating section at each end of the track with a diode across the gap, so that the train stops where you want and automatically starts in the opposite direction when the polarity reverses.

For a cheap simple shuttle solution try this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-MOTOR-REVERSE-POLARITY-CYCLIC-TIMER-SWITCH-TIME-REPEATER-700-300s-2A-12V-/281181038050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4177b225e2

Just add a short isolating section at each end of the track with a diode across the gap, so that the train stops where you want and automatically starts in the opposite direction when the polarity reverses.

Thanks Titan. That could be just what we need. I'll consult my co-conspirator.

Don't know why, but Tracey Island just popped into my head. Any room for some folding palm trees in one of the corners, and Thunderbird 2 poking its nose out from under the upper level?

We have a scene involving the burned out house that was already on the layout, and a dragon daring the fire brigade to put out the fire, in mind. We just need to find a suitable dragon. The last dragon in Wales lived locally, so it's a bit more appropriate than Tracey Island, and the palm trees would stick out like a sore thumb in wet Wales!

Maybe International Rescue could be helping to deal with the dragon problem though. Anyone got a 4mm scale Thunderbird 2 and firefighting equipment they'd like to donate?

As for things poking their nose out from under the upper layer, my latest idea is Henry in a bricked up tunnel! Just need to find a trashed loco body with an intact smokebox and miserable looking face!

• Like 6