Great Western (BR Western Region) Engine Shed Track Layout

BobM

Hi Bob,

What a very interesting layout plan here. I like it!

Plenty of movements to keep you occupied, including wagon shunting which is always a bonus on a shed layout. Out of interest, how many locos are you looking to stable in the shed? One on each road or two?

Brilliant plan and I'll certainly watch with interest.

Chris

:)

Hello Chris

Thanks for the comments...I hope that it 'works' out as planned, should do as I have the points laid out on the boards and the road radius into the yard from the main lines seem okay.....it should be possible to fit two loco outside the shed whilst the internal roads will accommodate one,  also there is room for two stabling roads to come off the turntable at '6 o'clock position too....my only concern was in using double slips, (whether this would make some draw a 'sharp intake of breath') within the yard, but Machynletth did have such beasts along with other examples I believe?

Cheers 

Bob

Hi Bob,

You're welcome. It certainly looks an impressive set up anyway. Do you have a specific location/area for your shed on the WR?

As for the double slips, it would certainly make the track work different and interesting to operate and/or signal from the ground but so long as you wire it all up correctly you should be fine.

Good luck with it all anyway and you're braver than me for planning on using the double slips. I'm having to spend some time fathoming out wiring a 3 way point correctly for my new layout!

Cheers,

Chris

Hello Chris....

I do have an interest in the 'Welsh Marches' region, hailing as I do from the Staffordshire / Shropshire / Worcestershire borders, so something with a western midland accent is the intention, with a terminus station.....various names for the station are 'rattling' around within that cavernous and vacuous space that resides between my ears!  ;)

Hi Bob,

Ah righto, that's a lovely region. I must say that I do like that part of the country as I was holidaying there over the summer in Malvern and Worcester.

Are you going for a branch terminus or something along the lines of a secondary main line?

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Bob,

Ah righto, that's a lovely region. I must say that I do like that part of the country as I was holidaying there over the summer in Malvern and Worcester.

Are you going for a branch terminus or something along the lines of a secondary main line?

Cheers,

Chris

Hello Chris...Thanks for the message....although not a replica of anything in particular....I do feel an affinity with the original Aberystwyth terminus layout as it had 'everything' a model layout would require, sadly I don't have the space to model such a station to do it justice, I wish someone would or a group take on such a task...

Regards

Bob

post-20610-0-14708100-1444337110.jpg

Sad old that I am....this image makes me want to cry :cry:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the message and super photo of Fritwell Manor at Aberystwyth :acute:

I know exactly what you mean. Aberystwyth station was wonderful in its heyday...or so I'm told (I'm only 27) and from what I often look at in books. For my layout, I have opted for a small country GWR branch line terminus but I've always wanted to model something similar to Bodmin General's size. Alas, the space in the spare room won't play ball and I don't do n gauge.

Still, Berry Pomeroy gives me more than enough pleasure to model and operate. I do particularly like shunting layouts and I'm currently constructing a new one. Sort of an Ingelnook type puzzle to be used with 08s, pannier tanks etc at the end of a rural freight branch.

As for Aberystwyth and all things Cambrian...I did attend the Bachmann Members Day event last month and said "Ey up" (Lancashire lad) "us GWR modellers are itching for an updated Manor class please"...anyway, long story short, it is allegedly in the pipeline...somewhere. Hurrah!

Enjoy the weekend,

Chris

Ow bistya Bob? how I remember those Manors, they took a bit of firing! two shovel fulls in the wrong place oh dear whoops! And the blast sort of said I"m burning lots of coal when the deceitful little s-d was not! A pal who was a fireman at Salop loved them, not me!

Now i thought the plan of Sept 1 was rather good! my only changes would put the d/slip on the main line to acess the shed from both running lines and make the other acess  a head shunt. I think the placement of the ashpit coaling area is pretty good and as your shed has capacity for quite a few locos some sort of mechanical handling on the coal stage would make those shedmen very happy! As I remember Southall had a small type of ground level system that lifted tubs on rails and then tipped them in the tender and it was enclosed in corrugated tin so any detail would be hidden. Hope you have not bought all those extra d/slips  :mail:

Mike

The engine shed portion of my intended layout has 'evolved' or has taken a evolutionary step backward...dependent upon what comments you kind guys have on here and I would appreciate any input, no matter how critical as I understand anything said in response will be in good faith and sincere.....

post-20610-0-01657800-1444938562.jpg

I hope that the flow pattern continues in that traffic may enter the shed either through the upper or lower routes dependent upon whether the loco is going directly to the engine shed or via the ash pit, coaling point and turntable....a loco may also be stabled via the head shunt.....coal wagons can enter from the lower route, wagons shunted into the sidings with the guards van stabled in the secondary siding prior to shunting the wagons into the coaling point?

Comments guys appreciated.....

Regards as always

Bob

• RMweb Gold

It's less of an issue now that you have one in road and an in/out road, but another situation is that a loco might need to be turned, but not need coal. Oxford shed had loops bypassing the coaling stage so that such locos weren't held up in the coaling queue. Al least, I think that's how they were used. This picture shows the loop, with sidings between it and the coaling road. I think the sidings might have been for the loco coal wagons originally.

post-6902-0-16923500-1444942411_thumb.jpg

Another neat use of space was a single loco  length siding with pit off the turntable. I don't know if it had a paticular function, but was a useful extra place to store a loco. This is a view   from the coaling stage.

post-6902-0-86295300-1444942506_thumb.jpg

Hth

Dave

It's less of an issue now that you have one in road and an in/out road, but another situation is that a loco might need to be turned, but not need coal. Oxford shed had loops bypassing the coaling stage so that such locos weren't held up in the coaling queue. Al least, I think that's how they were used. This picture shows the loop, with sidings between it and the coaling road. I think the sidings might have been for the loco coal wagons originally.

attachicon.gif2-26-2008_019.JPG

Another neat use of space was a single loco  length siding with pit off the turntable. I don't know if it had a paticular function, but was a useful extra place to store a loco. This is a view   from the coaling stage.

attachicon.gifsca038-001.jpg

Hth

Dave

Cheers Dave...much appreciated'll see whether these's room for a bypass loop, but there may not..Regards Bob

Sorry mate for me it just does not cut the mustard! Just been browsing some of my old railway haunts and I think Leamington has much to offer, smallish, but all the facilities and would make a good display area for the loco fleet. Other wise go back to the sept posting that I liked and try the mods I suggested. In a way I do not really know what your aim is except to use double slips!  :locomotive:

Sorry mate for me it just does not cut the mustard! Just been browsing some of my old railway haunts and I think Leamington has much to offer, smallish, but all the facilities and would make a good di Mikesplay area for the loco fleet. Other wise go back to the sept posting that I liked and try the mods I suggested. In a way I do not really know what your aim is except to use double slips!  :locomotive:

Cheers Mike 84C..... ideas,

As always I greatly appreciate any comments and advice.....this is a 'developing' situation and I am always open mindd to revisions no matter how diverse they may be from my initial ideas as I would wish to end up with a shed that is near the mark and looks the part too....

Taking on board what you kindly say here....

this is Leamington Spa as I understand it.....

post-20610-0-77210600-1445019578.jpg

I sadly do not have the space to accommodate a raised coaling stage but will gave to settle for some thing of a similar size to this 

post-20610-0-09533600-1445019795_thumb.jpg

it was therefore initially my intentions were to have a shed based on a trimmed Leamington Spa in some sympathetic manner.....

plans considered resulted in this 

post-20610-0-59185800-1445020238_thumb.jpg

modified with suggestions to this

post-20610-0-06550400-1445020310.jpg

finally to this

post-20610-0-20497700-1445020352_thumb.jpg

This is were I believe I went double 'slip happy' although some sheds did show slips within their design I believe they were few in numbers....I think I need to get back to basics but a little lost now.....

my final sketch out which remains on the last plan which drew ' a short intake of breath' by the sound of it may be the last before this current thinking is sent to the recycling centre but I will post it here as it encompasses a by-pass for traffic not requiring or coaling by using a three way point on one route?

post-20610-0-27546000-1445021849_thumb.jpg

I appear to have lost myself here completely....

Help.....

:scratchhead: Regards Bob

Sorry mate for me it just does not cut the mustard! Just been browsing some of my old railway haunts and I think Leamington has much to offer, smallish, but all the facilities and would make a good display area for the loco fleet. Other wise go back to the sept posting that I liked and try the mods I suggested. In a way I do not really know what your aim is except to use double slips!  :locomotive:

Hello Mike 84C

This may be a knee-jerk reaction but here is a plan that has no double or single slips in sight...I hope that the flow can still be maintained....any thoughts?

Cheers as always....have a great weekend all....

Regards

Bob

post-20610-0-82783900-1445024188_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, you reap the benefits of my cabin fever! just had a hernia opp; done and am getting bored. I didnt  want to sound totally negative so you see the results of my doodling. If you do not like them well....  but remember keep it simple. The real thing did because it costs less to install and maintain. But it is your railway!! Hope you can read my comments.

Regards Mikepost-18867-0-34701200-1445114979_thumb.jpgpost-18867-0-50715900-1445115008_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Mike has some very good ideas.

However, I'd be inclined to have a least one loco length clear before the turntable, so that locos can move round the yard without depending on the turntable - not every loco would need to be turned.

post-6880-0-31624000-1445117581.jpg

See the section I've marked in red.

Also I think the loco coal stage you illustrate is of ex-Midland origin - possibly Redditch.

Oh Mike you are wonderful...I do appreciate the advice,(as I do from everyone who posts on here) I also hope you have a speedy recovery....I can see the light and I have gone back to basics......the attached are sketches of two ideas....one has the shed close by the other somewhat 'divorced' from the table....both sit okay on the boards and space I have available, the only 'issues' I have are that with both of them, there is some 'shunting' and too and fro'ing about the headshunts from the turntable but it happens eh?

The other is that the coaling will have to be purely 'cosmetic' and for effect only....

Comments on these plans much appreciated......

I will certainly have a play around with the plans you've kindly set out here on the boards....have a great weekend, rest up (even though it's boring) and hope you speedily recover....

Regards

Bob

post-20610-0-76483100-1445117673_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-08863000-1445117705_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

However, I'd be inclined to have a least one loco length clear before the turntable, so that locos can move round the yard without depending on the turntable - not every loco would need to be turned.

attachicon.gifpost-18867-0-50715900-1445115008_thumb1.jpg

Also I think the loco coal stage you illustrate is of ex-Midland origin - possibly Redditch.

There's a lot of sense in that (GWR to note in more than one place) as layouts like that rely on having an operational turntable to keep the flow going.  When the turntable is out of action for any reasons difficulties arise (no need tp ask me how I know that, I can simply assure you that it can be a right whatsit nuisance). 

Bob,

attachicon.gifpost-18867-0-50715900-1445115008_thumb1.jpg

Cheers Peter...Hope you're okay....appreciate the advice and input...I have got really lost here, possibly attempting to over-egg the pudding, hence the reversion to basics....have a great weekend...

Regards

Bob

Guy"s thanks for your praise, Peter I am an idiot! forgetting that loco length before the tt. I know that a very few Western sheds had mech; coalers, not on the scale of other regions and only mechanized to lifting the tubs above the tender to empty the coal. The chaps still shovelled from the wagons and Southhall was the only one I had 1st hand experience of, was Worcester like I described?

Kind regards Mike

Hello.....

Would appreciate comments and ideas for 'tweaking' of this thumbnail sketch pulling together some of the brilliant ideas you guys have been feeding me with over the last posting, which I hope meets with approval?

I've maintained the overall pattern you drew out Mike, re-orientated it to fit within my available board layout and hope have used the points to good used....and nt a double or single slip in sight  :boast:

There is only one route in or out. although I may have room for a passing loop or could alter the orientation slightly to accommodate a designated 'in' route....

I have hopefully maintained the flow pattern and bypass for locos that do not require access to the ash pit or coal stage (platform)...also there is some room for stabling loco ( although the sketch is not to scale) it looks okay when placed out on the boards.....

There is also a triangular shaped space available to accommodate shed / mpd buildings / water tower or such......

Having spent quite a bit of time previously scratching my head over how to proceed, with the such wonderful and much appreciated comments, guidance and work you kind kind guys have given me, this is the first design that I have felt comfortable with (subject to available 'tweaks')both in terms of how it fills the space available I have, how it actually looks and seems to has 'potential operation'......

If I am missing something in any way...please let me know your ideas.....and anything you could recommend for improvement or enhancement......

Cheers to all once more, hope you're all well?

Bob 

post-20610-0-88041800-1445367868_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Now that (Post No.70) is much better.  My main comment is that the ashpit is well short of the coal stage (look at Didcot on Google Maps) and the length of standage outside one of the shed roads is a bit short.  However you are now getting something which looks much more like 'a typical GWR shed layout' (if there actually was one of course).

Hi Station Master.......

Thanks for the comments much appreciated......it is probably a case that this sketch is very rough and far from representing the actual distances.....on the layout the ash pit is much closer to the coaling point than is shown on here, probably only a tender and a half length between them and the 'shorter' road into the shed shown on here is long enough to accommodate a loco length....I am currently sketching out the incoming lines from off scene into the coaling point rather than entering from the shed routes.....

any comments much appreciated as always...hope you guys are all okay?

Regards

Robby

Hello Guys.....

As always any comments and recommendations you have will be much appreciated.....this is the first 'fag packet' doodle of ideas I have for feeding in coal from 'off stage' into the yard area and specifically the coaling platform.....(as the only other route would be along the same loco feeder) ....please say from the outset if I am working or thinking with an incorrect premise.....

The two images here show the shed plan as previously discussed with the intended coal lines below (hope I've explained myself correctly?

I hope that the addition of a single 'double slip' will save space and be acceptable?

post-20610-0-67868500-1445458575_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-92653500-1445458616_thumb.jpg

My idea is that short coal trains would enter from the feeder line into the yard area and move across the double slip into the sliding, uncouple, use the run around to couple up with the wagons reverse into the head shunt, then forward into the  coal stage siding for use......the reverse procedure to reform and leave the yard.....?

Or would it be potentially better to extend the coaling stage line into a head shunt to join the middle siding and run around together?

Am I 'bonkers' or is this possible?

Regards to all as always,

Bob

Hello Guys.....

Hope that you are all okay and that your weekend is going well......

As always I greatly appreciate your comments and advice, which has given me much encouragement to move forward, and to amend, alter and consider differing scenarios......I have taken on board everything that has been kindly suggested to me and working on the fine drawings and inspiration that Mike and Peter sent myself resulted in the basic plan previously posted and forms the basis of what I am going to place before you for comments and advice on how to proceed.....

The basic entry road, head shunt into engine shed, ash pit and by-pass roads to turntable remains......

the 'technical difficulties' I encountered, ( as well as being a bit dense between the ears to sort things out) was to feed in the coal to the coal platform easily within the space available lined to all these facilities.....?

Therefore rightly or wrongly I have (mapped out here and please forgive the rough sketch) made the coal line feeding into the yard a dedicated road coming in from an off scene area, this in neatly within the space I have available and when laid out on the boards looks reasonable (to me anyway) shewn here....

post-20610-0-22875000-1445714756_thumb.jpg

The idea being that the coal set comes into the siding, uncouples pulls forward, uses the runaround to couple back up and then reverses to use the two head shunts to propel the wagons into the coal and ash pit wagon sidings respectively.....the length of these head shunts determined by the length of the coal set and loco which i envisage to be only a small pannier and perhaps 3 wagons plus guards van.....

There is the possibility with this layout of coal yard I can accommodate an addition loco servicing road to the turntable, however working on the safe adage that 'less is more' I do not want to 'over egg' the layout? (shewn here)....

post-20610-0-83563500-1445715138_thumb.jpg

I am sorry if I have not explained myself well here....overlooked something or made a complete mess of things.....would greatly appreciate advice and comments on the above.....

This coal area / line / sidings is intended to be predominantly for scenic purposes....

Best wishes to all and have a great weekend...

Regards as always,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

I think that separating the wagons from the locos makes good sense. I would be tempted to simplify the coal/ash side even more and get rid of the runround, assuming it exists offstage. All wagons are propelled into the scene, and hauled away.

On the loco side, I'd go with the comments earlier and rather than having  2 roads to the turntable, have them merge at a turnout a locos length from the turntable. Then a turntable problem won't stop the operations.

By the way I think my earlier comments about the loop road in the photos allowing access to the TT for locos not needing coal were probablu wrong, The loop is needed to allow locos to leave after coaling, wirh or without turning. It may have been used as I suggested, but that wasn;t the main reason for it.

Thanks

Dave

Archived