Great Western (BR Western Region) Engine Shed Track Layout

BobM

Thanks Happy Hippo...Will certainly take a look at that thread....the photo looks superb.....Some seriously brilliant modelling going on here and many talented guys and gals about...makes me feel very humble and appreciative of the sharing of ideas and experience that is so evident on these blogs... :sungum:

It looks odd to have the coaling stage directly off the turntable like that. That means a loco shunting coal wagons to the stage would have to haul the trucks onto the turntable and the whole lot would then have to be turned before proceeding to the coaling stage.

I am not an expert on shed movements but that doesn't sound quite right to me. Do you have an examples where the coal stage was accessible only from the turntable in this way?

I think you would be better off working with the Chippenham plan. Trim off the gasworks bits and you have a pretty minimalist arrangement with just the essentials. Here is a crudely edited image to give an idea.

attachicon.gifChippenhamShed - Copy.jpg

Cheers Karhedron.......Will investigate all the posibilities of the Chippenham Shed..... :thankyou:

It looks odd to have the coaling stage directly off the turntable like that. That means a loco shunting coal wagons to the stage would have to haul the trucks onto the turntable and the whole lot would then have to be turned before proceeding to the coaling stage.

I am not an expert on shed movements but that doesn't sound quite right to me. Do you have an examples where the coal stage was accessible only from the turntable in this way?

I think you would be better off working with the Chippenham plan. Trim off the gasworks bits and you have a pretty minimalist arrangement with just the essentials. Here is a crudely edited image to give an idea.

attachicon.gifChippenhamShed - Copy.jpg

With regard to that plan....I have when placing the track down left the coaling plant off, as Siberian Snooper too wasn't sure of examples and to be honest too, I cannot find any examples either,,,and turned that road into a scenic non-operational coaling ramp (coming in from off scene from the left) inclined to a coaling stage being adjacent to the turntable?

With the Chippenham plan it looks fine 'flipped' too...

post-20610-0-41516900-1424805775.jpg

This is my interpretation of Siberian Snoopers kind plan

post-20610-0-10974000-1424807614_thumb.jpg

The basic track flow remains,,,however have turned the coaling link into a non-operational GWR coaling ramp to stage,,,which comes in off scene from the left for effect only?

Comments appreciated as  always guys...this may not be useable but this and an abridged Chippenham plan may be a runner?

Regards as always,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

This is my interpretation of Siberian Snoopers kind plan

attachicon.gif100_71311 (2) (1024x768).jpg

The basic track flow remains,,,however have turned the coaling link into a non-operational GWR coaling ramp to stage,,,which comes in off scene from the left for effect only?

Comments appreciated as  always guys...this may not be useable but this and an abridged Chippenham plan may be a runner?

Regards as always,

Bob

That's not too bad although I'm not entirely sure how the coal gets up the coal stage.  The turntable 'avoiding line' might be awkward to fit into a modelling site so a  thing to watch out for.

Biggest error is having the ashpits in the wrong place - those in front of the shed would be prep pits - not ashpits and the ashpit would be on the coal stage road.

That's not too bad although I'm not entirely sure how the coal gets up the coal stage.  The turntable 'avoiding line' might be awkward to fit into a modelling site so a  thing to watch out for.

Biggest error is having the ashpits in the wrong place - those in front of the shed would be prep pits - not ashpits and the ashpit would be on the coal stage road.

Cheers for the comments Stationmaster, as always any input is appreciated and taken onboard....yep I have proposed ashpits on the coaling road but not shown on this tumb sketch, the coaling line is sadly only for effect and atmosphere due to lack of space....will need to tweak the plan but it is a work in progress....may keep the prep pits in front of the shed?

Regards Bob

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for the comments Stationmaster, as always any input is appreciated and taken onboard....yep I have proposed ashpits on the coaling road but not shown on this tumb sketch, the coaling line is sadly only for effect and atmosphere due to lack of space....will need to tweak the plan but it is a work in progress....may keep the prep pits in front of the shed?

Regards Bob

No problem having prep pits in front of the shed although I don't think they were necessarily seen everywhere (if outdoors some were prone to getting rather wet after a few cloudbursts).

Have just received a copy( of one of a brilliant set of books) by Paul Bolger detailing BR Steam Motive Power Depots on the Western Region....track plans, photos with tons of atmosphere and 'shed loads' of inspiration for modelling.... :good:

Have just received a copy( of one of a brilliant set of books) by Paul Bolger detailing BR Steam Motive Power Depots on the Western Region....track plans, photos with tons of atmosphere and 'shed loads' of inspiration for modelling.... :good:

Good move and no excuse now then .......... :jester:

HeeHee,,,84C, Don't make promises I cannot keep..... :scratchhead: Cheers for all the kind comments on here....anything that is said, is taken onboard, kindy received, much appreciated and all I can add is keep them coming along with any bits of information, track layout ideas and tips....this is a project that I have no idea how long it'll take to do, or how it'll turn out, but attempting to make three separate scenes all linked together, a terminus station with links to the shed / turn table and carriage sidings, may not be 'prototypical at the moment' but an idea and project in the making.....one thing though when it is complete I won't be able to get it out of the spare room.....so will have to get the coffee on and the chocolate biscuit tin stocked up for anyone interested to pop around to have look, laugh or listen to the sharpe sharp intakes of breath.... :jester:

As this develops and brave enough to share what I am doing...I will post some images....returning to this great pastime after a gap of nearly 40 years...so will be bound to make some absolute howlers and silly mistakes...but come to think of it, that's nothing really new either in the 55 years that I've been on this Earth anyway.....Have a great weekend guys and thanks again for the camaraderie and mutual banter and down right good advice that flows within it between like minded good folk...cheers Bob

I know the raised coal stage is quite a signature feature for GWR sheds, but looking through the Lyons' book it seems as if less than half of them actually had them, and only a couple of two track sheds did. The rest made do with much simpler equipment, including some quite large sheds, such as Worcester. With your lack of room, might an alternative, covered, coal stage fit better?

As for fitting in those double slips, I would perhaps use one where the shed lines meets the mainline, with one leg forming the protective headshunt, but this would, I admit, fit better if the orientation were the other way round, with a trailing connection.

I know the raised coal stage is quite a signature feature for GWR sheds, but looking through the Lyons' book it seems as if less than half of them actually had them, and only a couple of two track sheds did. The rest made do with much simpler equipment, including some quite large sheds, such as Worcester. With your lack of room, might an alternative, covered, coal stage fit better?

As for fitting in those double slips, I would perhaps use one where the shed lines meets the mainline, with one leg forming the protective headshunt, but this would, I admit, fit better if the orientation were the other way round, with a trailing connection.

Hello Nick...Thanks for the message and comments much appfreciated....I have only just begun to flick through Paul Bolger's book on BR Stean Western region MPD and its wonderfuly atmospheric pictures and track diagrams and these have altered my concept and perhaps intenstions of what 'the finished product' may look akin too, and I too have at this early stage noted that not too many, even the largest sheds didn't have room for a coaling stage or ramp, which I may now not included on my shed...and noted how many locos were just filled from raised platforms by hand next to a water column...so I am rethinking many things and will get these down on paper for comments as and when.....here is the access layout from the main running lines......not set instone yet as I am contemplating bringing in returned coaching stock into a few cariage lines aside the shed complex from  a set of points coming off the station..but unsure at the moment.....don't want to over egg the pudding or cramp the shed or layout too much..... :scratchhead:

Cheers guys...Have a great, peaceful weekend...Bob (sorry just noticed incorrect arrows on top left..silly me...'political' brain fade moment ) :whistle:

post-20610-0-20438400-1425076296_thumb.jpg

This is the access from the main running lines....any comments please?

The example at Wells might be useful. A compact 2-road shed with a coaling stage on the flat.

http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/Wells_GWR_Engine_Sheds

Those photos are superbly atmospheric and so GWR...a water tower doubling up as a coaling platform.....could well be something to consider as an alternative to a straight forward coaling plaform....regards Bob

I have been having a look at plans and I have found a few more that might provide suitable inspiration.

Yeovil Pen Mill is promising and very compact.

Machynlleth is an excellent example as the shed and turnable are at opposite end of the site. The engine shed is double ended but if you cut the plan in half and just model the southern end then you have an excellent plan which is still fairly narrow and even includes a single slip. ;)

post-7238-0-40261300-1295882503_thumb.jp

I have been having a look at plans and I have found a few more that might provide suitable inspiration.

Yeovil Pen Mill is promising and very compact.

Machynlleth is an excellent example as the shed and turnable are at opposite end of the site. The engine shed is double ended but if you cut the plan in half and just model the southern end then you have an excellent plan which is still fairly narrow and even includes a single slip. ;)

post-7238-0-40261300-1295882503_thumb.jp

Cheers my friend...will have a good look at both sheds, still mulling things over planwise....it is facinating to look at all these plans, some follow the basic flow pattern others were not so lucky in terms of space or use by the look of it !  Great atmospheric turntable picture

Have a great week....Regards Bob

Still on Machynlleth, here is a great shot of the southern end of the shed from the air. https://flic.kr/p/mZ7hMZ

And here is a more detailed track plan than the one in Bolger's book. https://flic.kr/p/mcf3f2

A shot from the turntable area looking back towards the shed.

jh650608-75004-46521-Mach.jpg

Pass through dear 'old Mach' many times in the year travelling down to Aberystwyth...wish it still had these beauties on display though! Cheers my friend....will have a play around with the track plan, however I lack the knowledge how to fit it into the space I have on the boards, there are going to be many hours spent contemplating and scratching of the head!

• 5 months later...

I think that the coaling stage should be on the outside of the tracks leading to the TT. Also I think that both roads leading to the engine shed should come from the same feed to avoid locos accessing the left hand road shuffling back and forth across the headshunt. I have crudely edited your plan to show what I mean.

post-887-0-66905600-1441140412_thumb.jpg

Cheers my dear friend...much appreciated.....re the coaling stage...I am only planning such as this...

post-20610-0-76530500-1441140783_thumb.jpg

Appreciate the point regarding the engine shed layout!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello....

With kind advice and suggestions received, taken onboard, the unnecessary duplication of the coaling and ash pits on the stabling lines are to be removed......penciling at new sketch and will post later for comments.....

Have a good day all....

Regards

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

After an enforced break, good to be back on here.....

any comments on this part of my plan for the intended layout...

this being the steam shed / mpd....

I have retained the idea of...

loco in....through to the ash pit.....coal / water,,,,turntable.....head shunt to engine shed and out.....also I hope have built in bypass should loco not require to be turned....also a dedicated coal siding to low level coal stage....all inked shed road ink to main roads....

forgive the rough sketch but wanted to get these ideas to you for comment, its not to scale, compressed but in reality seems to look okay on the boards and fits in space well?

post-20610-0-63736100-1444169723_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys have a great week

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

What a very interesting layout plan here. I like it!

Plenty of movements to keep you occupied, including wagon shunting which is always a bonus on a shed layout. Out of interest, how many locos are you looking to stable in the shed? One on each road or two?

Brilliant plan and I'll certainly watch with interest.

Chris

:)

Archived