Great Western (BR Western Region) Engine Shed Track Layout

BobM

Seeing track laid out suggests a further possibility. If the turnout on the loco headshunt is replaced by a 3 way, the coal/ash sidings could be accessed directly from the shed in/out line.

That's if the headshunt can be made long enough for the coal and ash loads you intend to run. Would it be prototypical to have the headshunt 2 locos long, so that an outgoing loco could wait for an incoming one to clear the bidirectional line?

Dave

Hello....

A three way point does indeed fit into the available space, links into the loco roads okay with space for a two loco length headshunt.....

The wagon and coal siding points also fit okay....so could carry this forward as a planned alteration....I have also added here a sketch for comment replacing a single turnout with a double slip which creates another 'dedicated' headshunt for the coal traffic entering the yard to shunt into the wagon / coal stage roads, leaving the loco headshunt free....is this an unnecessary addition......

Comments appreciated as always....

Regards

Bob

post-20610-0-72618600-1447014165_thumb.jpg

Hello Guys.....

Just a note to say that I will be keeping this topic 'alive' and would greatly appreciate any further comments on this planned section of my proposed layout.....however this is to let you kind folks know that I am intending to start an associated topic where the plans for the whole layout will be 'laid bare' for comment and hopefully prove to be an interesting history of the building process........

This will be a protracted business and no doubt there will be many pitfalls, mistakes, errors made and problems to surmount, but hopefully too a great deal of fun and relaxation along the route.....I have almost settled on a name for my station....this is most likely to be 'Cambrian Street'....hopefully this reflects a certain level of 'urban' setting for a terminus station and that name will form the title of the new topic......

The new topic will slowly emerge and I will attempt to put into words and sketches, in the best way that I am able, to place before you kind folk the way that my thoughts and decisions have been formulated....

I am looking forward to building this layout, I'll need a good deal of guidance and encouragement, given what has gone before on the site previously I am sure that help will be available, and I will be so grateful and appreciative for this assistance.....

I will open the new topic this evening.....so thanks guys....Regards as always, Bob

Evening Guys.... Copy of posting made on new topic Cambrian Street

Here is a very rough sketch of the 'station' section of the layout.....

There are three roads into the throat of the station....two mains and a relief that is intended as a feed into the goods yard but also to take local traffic into platforms 3 and 4.

I will add the associated goods yard sketch later

comments appreciated as always....

the station is actually on a slight curve rather than straight as the sketch suggests, the two main platforms are able to accommodate 5 coaches with loco runarounds .....

post-20610-0-94187300-1447278033.jpg

Hello Bob,

The passenger station looks suitably impressive, though if I read your plan correctly, you can only depart from two of the platforms (#1 and #3). Afraid I can't read where the third line goes. Unless this teminus is set in London, the departing line would generally be "up".

Bob, I think you're getting bogged-down with the planning. Try various ideas drawn on paper (I used to cut out small templates of points, crossings etc at a scale of 1in - 1ft to see if they'd all fit). Use the internet and the hundreds of books around on the GW to see what the prototype was like. 

Don't model a model - look at the protoyppe for inspiration.

Hello Bob,

The passenger station looks suitably impressive, though if I read your plan correctly, you can only depart from two of the platforms (#1 and #3). Afraid I can't read where the third line goes. Unless this teminus is set in London, the departing line would generally be "up".

Bob, I think you're getting bogged-down with the planning. Try various ideas drawn on paper (I used to cut out small templates of points, crossings etc at a scale of 1in - 1ft to see if they'd all fit). Use the internet and the hundreds of books around on the GW to see what the prototype was like. 

Don't model a model - look at the protoyppe for inspiration.

Once again thanks Peter for the input, as always this is much appreciated....

the third (relief) line does link up with the other two running lines just hadn't shown it here....

Sorry I have made an error here (and no it is not a London terminus), I had visioned departures from 1 and 2 ( have drawn the single slip the wrong way round on here, so I hope that there is the potential for departures off 2 as well), also off 3...

with associated (locals ) off  3 and  into 4 

You are most certainly correct when saying I am a bit bogged down, 

Cheers

Bob

Cheers Peter....

I have begun a new topic under the title Cambrian Street....which will I will carry forward the layout plans and including the shed plan shown on here....

Regards

Bob

Hello Guys

I have begun a new topic under the title Cambrian Street....which will I will carry forward the layout plans and including the shed plan shown on here....

However posted here as well is the promised plan for the lines merging together for comment, but perhaps better on Cambrian Street...

post-20610-0-18358700-1447364367_thumb.jpg

Regards

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bob,

Mike has some very good ideas.

However, I'd be inclined to have a least one loco length clear before the turntable, so that locos can move round the yard without depending on the turntable - not every loco would need to be turned.

attachicon.gifpost-18867-0-50715900-1445115008_thumb1.jpg

See the section I've marked in red.

Also I think the loco coal stage you illustrate is of ex-Midland origin - possibly Redditch.

Hello Guys...Although this has moved to Cambrian Street..thought I'd post this plan I intend to use here just in case.....

Regards to all

Happy Easter....

Bob

post-20610-0-68176200-1458251742.jpg

• 7 months later...

Archived