Which point motors for hand built DCC track

Hi

My track work in build is made from C & L components, in 4mm.

What do people recommend for point motors? I'm using the Lenz 100 system and ideally would like slow action point motors. Also do I need to use frog switchers?

Thanks

Bob

You need to switch the frogs - this is the same for analogue or digital, absolutely no difference.

Motors, the standard item would be a Tortoise, though there are other slow acting motors around these days.   Most (inc. Tortoise) include the necessary switches for the frog.  

If you really want to control the turnouts with the Lenz 100 system, then the motors need an accessory decoder to suit.  But, think hard about whether this is what you want;  I find that operating turnouts on a Lenz handset to be one of the clunkiest and most annoying ways possible.  ( Several other maker's system handsets are almost as bad for turnout operation, but the Lenz really takes the biscuit ! ). 

- Nigel

There is a good choice of slow action/motion point motors available these days.

Examples.....

Motor driven...

Tortoise

Cobalt (various versions)

Traintronics TT300

Hoffman

Conrad

Tillig

Servo driven...

Peco Smartswitch

Tam Valley Depot Singlet

Tam Valley Depot Switchwright

ESU + servo motors

All can operated by either DCC or DC control of points.

Some can be operated by both DCC and also by switches or buttons on a DCC layout.

You will need to switch frog polarity and most point motors have built-in switches to facilitate this.

..... I find that operating turnouts on a Lenz handset to be one of the clunkiest and most annoying ways possible.  ( Several other maker's system handsets are almost as bad for turnout operation, but the Lenz really takes the biscuit ! ). 

This is unfortunately very true and as Nigel says, Lenz aren't the only culprits either.

For a Lenz set-up there are a few options to make the task easier.

TouchCab smartphone app. Downside/caveat - Requires ownership of a suitable iOS device (which is OK if you already have one) and purchase of the expensive Lenz interface. The app itself is dirt cheap.

Lenz announced last year their new LW150 module, that will allow a mimic panel with switches to operate points by DCC. All the switches and indicator lights just connect to the LW150 (located below/behind the panel) and the LW150 just acts like a throttle on the XpressNet bus.

Downside/caveat - Vapourware at the moment as the LW150 has yet to appear a year after the announcement. Also you need to design and build a hardware mimic panel.

The extremely hard to find Roco RouteControl points controller. Downside/caveat - long discontinued and very difficult to find secondhand. Much sought after, they are like Gold dust.

Then there are computer based solutions......

p.s. Lenz used to do their own version of the Roco RouteControl, the LW100: but that was discontinued more than 10 years ago and I guess probably wouldn't work with the current software version.

I have to agree with the comments about operating digital controlled points from some handsets . 

The Lenz i would never consider it . The NCE powercab not so bad. 

The H0 layout I'm working on is using Cobalt motors digitally controlled but only because they will be operated from a computer screen.

• RMweb Gold

Slow action point motors a definitely better for hand built point work. The thump of some solenoids over time can't do the connections to the blades any good.

If you want to control from a handset you might consider buying a roco multimaus. It is compatible with the lenz system, gives you a nice rotary knob control and switching turnouts is relatively easy.

• RMweb Gold

If you're using Tortoises then the NCE Switch-8 is an excellent decoder specifically designed for them.  The MK2 version has been made available recently and this has an optional button board to allow you to have both push button control from a mimic board, as well as operation from the LH100.

I use Traintronics TT300. Nice & slow. Easy to program with there address.

Terminals for the frog. 

Using the terminals available I also have a few 2 aspect signals wired in.

In addition I have tried a Cobalt, but was not satisfied with there performance.

Try and stay away from Solenoid types, your track deserves better.

If making your own track then fitting a servo will be a doddle. Servos are nice and small, extremely cheap, powerful and reliable. Since you will need frog switching get a decoder with the frog switching built in like the Signalist SC2 for an easy life.

Since you have Lenz it will probably be best to get a computer interface and use a tablet or laptop to control your points from a nice JMRI panel on the screen if you have more than just a few points. Lots of people do control their points from a Lenz LH100 handset so it is by no means impossible!

• RMweb Premium

I use Traintronics TT300. Nice & slow. Easy to program with there address.

Terminals for the frog. 

Using the terminals available I also have a few 2 aspect signals wired in.

In addition I have tried a Cobalt, but was not satisfied with there performance.

Try and stay away from Solenoid types, your track deserves better.

TT300 - I had two of these - both failed!

Also have two Cobalts, one sticks at the end.

Now totally Tortoise and trouble free.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

That will also allow you to use Roco/Fleischmann Multimaus - a nice comfortable Expressnet controller, and your existing Lenz handset(s) via adapter plug if necessary, as the Z21 has multiple Expressnet ports.  In addition, you will of course be able to use the 'latest' options with the Smartphone/tablet photo displays for touch operation, as well as RocRail, and other s/w options.

The white z21 omits the old hardware connection options, and is available via Digital Start Sets.

As others have suggested, I would now recommend adopting Servos for point and semaphore signal control - several makes are now available, and it allows a 'single device type' to be learnt and applied to a wide range of applications . ,, points, signals, crossing gates, and other animations, and probably at a lower overall price than older methods, as well as more compact. 

Although Servos don't inherantly include frog switching -- their controlling device can operate an equally economical relay in parallel. Where there is no associated mechanical point movement, or related signal, this could be a suitable time to also look at electronic frog polarity selection - whether by associated independant optical switches or a 'frog juicer'.

## If using a servo control board such as the Servo4 from MERG (available to members, as a kit), then this is triggered by a Steady State Accessory Decoder output for each servo... and this could simultaneously provide the frog polarity switching via an equally cheap relay driven in parallel. Speed and Bounce (if desired) is controllable on an indivual basis with servos.

Archived