The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whats your favourite classical music?

PhilJ W

• 1 year later...

Dave Rowe’s comment on page 39 of the March 2018 BRM got me thinking.

Here’s some classical pieces that don’t seem to get much airplay on Classic FM, but which I think are great:

Mussorgsky, Pictures At An Exhibition

Planet Suite, Holst , Uranus (The Magician)  – why does Jupiter get all the attention?

Dag Wirèn - Serenade for String Orchestra, Op. 11

King of the Boeotians by Offenbach

British Light Music composers such as: Ketelby, Ronald Binge, Eric Coates

and those that are railway related: Rhythm on the Rails by Charles Williams and Coronation Scot by Vivian Ellis

• Like 2

I love Barber, Adagio for strings as well as Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra, Mussorgsky's Night on the bare mountain and Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italien in A.

Also if the new Star Trek films are to be believed, I am also partial to a little Sabotage by the Beastie Boys....

https://youtu.be/AmWLaFQNwVE?t=1m28s

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 2

The Romance from "The Gadfly" by Shostakovitch.  Many years ago I taped a magnificent performance of it by the Fairey Engineering Band at a concert they did for BBC radio, which had far more feeling to it than any version I've subsequently heard by any other orchestra.

Needless to say in due course I accidentally erased the tape, and the only version of it by the Fairey band that's available on CD is a poor thing by comparison.  I console myself when necessary and in the mood for something classical by playing Genoud's "Mors et Vita". 

Apart from that, I'm just a common man with very common taste :)

• Like 2

The Romance from "The Gadfly" by Shostakovitch.  Many years ago I taped a magnificent performance of it by the Fairey Engineering Band at a concert they did for BBC radio, which had far more feeling to it than any version I've subsequently heard by any other orchestra.

Needless to say in due course I accidentally erased the tape, and the only version of it by the Fairey band that's available on CD is a poor thing by comparison.  I console myself when necessary and in the mood for something classical by playing Genoud's "Mors et Vita". 

Apart from that, I'm just a common man with very common taste :)

Some while ago it was on the cover CD of the BBC music magazine.

How this compares with the version you like I know not but it does it for me. Especially the slow movement.

Bernard 

• Like 1