Lima production finish?

I think the general point with Lima locomotives, is that they can be purchased, in good working order, for as little as £20 which is handy if you don't want to tie up lots of your hard earned cash in your hobby.

You don't need many of the recent, premium priced releases, from Bachmann, etc, to suddenly realise you've got over £1000 worth of locomotives, packed away, in a plastic storage box under your layout and not just at home - it happens at exhibitions too !  

As the saying goes, "you pays your money and you takes yer choice" ! 

On the plus sides, they produce a lot of liveries and some of the body types are accurate in shape.

I Agree.  Some still hold up well today.  I still run Lima classes 101, 121, 156,  73, 87, 92 and HST's

On the minus, you have a reasonable chance of getting one that doesn't run well, as the motor is crude . The chassis is crude cheap plastic, the wheels are from a steam roller and the couplings are huge. Everything about them is crude compared with today's models.

Ageed, most classes have been superceded by far superior models but the ones I mentioned above I consider worth extra detailing, weathering and TLC.

I tend not to mix old and new models of the same class - one of my pet hates at exhibitions is seeing layouts (particlarly MPD's) with different manufacturers of a single class side by side or even coupled together.  I saw one once with Bachmann, Vitrains, Heljan Lima and even one Hornby on the same layout -  all Class 47's but all looking different!  Strange effect!  It's probably due to having different members' personal stock on club layouts.

I think it's interesting that Vi trains didn't really ' catch on'. The natural successor to Lima with a similar philosophy of banging out lots of liveries, with some well shaped models. Should have flown off the shelves.

Maybe in their case it was the fact they weren't cheap enough compared with the later offerings, and they made some livery mistakes ( more so than Lima ). If these had been £39.99 like most Lima was when I came back to the hobby in 1999, I think they could have been very successful

I think it's interesting that Vi trains didn't really ' catch on'. The natural successor to Lima with a similar philosophy of banging out lots of liveries, with some well shaped models. Should have flown off the shelves.

Maybe in their case it was the fact they weren't cheap enough compared with the later offerings, and they made some livery mistakes ( more so than Lima ). If these had been £39.99 like most Lima was when I came back to the hobby in 1999, I think they could have been very successful

Perhaps some of the problem is they didn't make ones suitable for the green era.

I agree they deserved to do better - their shape was good as was the mechanism.

Maybe all the detailing parts that needed to be fitted was a bit daunting - it was for me!  I got the feeling they weren't quite R-T-R!

If they'd been pitched around £55 - 60 I think they'd have sold better. 

I don't think Lima were that interested in the green, so I guess vi took their ques from there.

Im also thinking it was probably hobbyco who dictated what they made, and they seem to have given up on the brand entirely

Totally agree Rob. TBH I think that initially they suffered from a lot of people who stigmatised them as being 'the new Lima' and therefore they were consigned to being poor, before they even had a chance.

My view is that the Vi 47 is by far the best base model for detailing projects, amongst it's contemporaries. I do however still rate the Lima 47 as being a very good candidate itself for superdetailing, this is one of my latest:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/60729-lima-47-on-vitrains-chassis/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/60731-lima-47-on-vitrains-chassis/

With regards to the mechs, we still regularly run Lima powered locos on Runswick Leamside, some of which have been around for 20 years and they haven't given us a moments bother. The majority of the chassis have had extra pick ups fitted, which makes them more sure footed, but for performance and smooth running they have been excellent.

Once run in properly, the Lima mechs are reliable ( albeit noisier than modern counterparts ) and very good at slow speed running. Maintenance is the key with them though - keep the wheels super clean along with the trackwork and make sure they are well lubricated, then you won't go far wrong.

We used to take the blackening off the Lima wheels with a brass brush in a mini-drill - keeping the wheels clean after that was a doddle.

All the Lima locos we used were resprays though, as some of the earlier Lima paint finishes could be a tad ropey ( overspray was the major problem ), but for sheer volume of liveries, then you couldn't ask for more. I've still got some Lima spoons that will one day get the treatment, although these days they get fitted to a Vi chassis as I now model in EM and the Vi chassis is very good for detail on the bogies - far better than the Bachmann version in my opinion.

cheers

Andy

*edited for spelling mistakes!

My view is that the Vi 47 is by far the best base model for detailing projects, amongst it's contemporaries. I do however still rate the Lima 47 as being a very good candidate itself for superdetailing, this is one of my latest:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/60729-lima-47-on-vitrains-chassis/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/60731-lima-47-on-vitrains-chassis/

That 47 looks brilliant - fair play to you.  True modelling.

I am not what I would describe as a clued up modeller, so no need for sarcasm. I am just someone who wants to improve my abilities to model rather than open boxes.

To me the choice of liveries from Lima is irrelevant- that is what an airbrush is for.

I have yet to find a Lima model that does not run well on its admittedly basic motor. But that's what lubrication and balancing is for.

I am not on a budget and buy what I want. (it was not always thus for me, but is now) I prefer Lima- you have a different view and that is no more or no less valid than my own.

Now isn't this forum big enough to have two people of different opinions in it? After all, this thread was actually about Lima production finishing and not in fact Lima bashing.

Now, haven't you got a couple of boxes to scuttle off and open?

here we go again....
Derek has his view on lima .

Clearly he's not a " box opener " but a " clued up modeller ". We must bow to his expertise .

Well, I had about 30 Lima a long time back.. On the plus sides, they produce a lot of liveries and some of the body types are accurate in shape.

On the minus, you have a reasonable chance of getting one that doesn't run well, as the motor is crude . The chassis is crude cheap plastic, the wheels are from a steam roller and the couplings are huge. Everything about them is crude compared with today's models.

If your on a budget and require lots of locos it's worth a go, if not I'd save up for something a bit more sophisticated. It can of course be fun to detail them if that is your thing.

You are right that Lima models can be acquired for that sort of price. And that is good for those on a budget.

However, to take d2's comments about me choosing Lima through neccessity... a Lima model+Shawplan bits, paint, transfers etc, is not far short of a Bachmann model anyway.

It's the same attitude people have to my choice of car- it's a 7 year old Jag KX8... people moan at me that since I sold half my company that I need to buy a newer version... no one has bothered to actually ask whether I LIKE my car! Same goes with model trains. The likes of d2 doesn't bother that you prefer one thing over another.

I can tell you that I don't care what his preferences are- if he wants to discuss them, then that's what this forum is for- if he doesn't then that's his choice. But I am getting really fed up with some people on this forum that assume only their way is valid.

I think the general point with Lima locomotives, is that they can be purchased, in good working order, for as little as £20 which is handy if you don't want to tie up lots of your hard earned cash in your hobby.

You don't need many of the recent, premium priced releases, from Bachmann, etc, to suddenly realise you've got over £1000 worth of locomotives, packed away, in a plastic storage box under your layout and not just at home - it happens at exhibitions too !  

As the saying goes, "you pays your money and you takes yer choice" ! 

" now haven't you got a couple of boxes to scuttle off and open ".

You just can't help yourself can you ? It's clear what you think of people that run, woe betide, " from the box ".

Funnily enough that's not me really - I have loads of detailing bits to tack onto whatever models . Your assumption I run everything straight from the box is incorrect and inaccurate and I'm not sure what led you to it.

PM replied to.

The point is that I DO NOT CARE what you run. I really don't.

You seem to have this fixation of what I run. Why? What's the problem?

Surely this forum benefits from people discussing different ideas and approaches. I do not think that your choice is wrong (except tongue in cheek comments, perhaps) but you really seem to look for any opportunity to criticise my preference for Lima stuff. I don't understand it and I don't really care.

Are you saying that in a thread discussing Lima that it is in-appropriate for me to discuss what I (and others) have done with Lima stuff?

Actually- forget that, I don't care.

As for "PM replied to"- great reply. Nice that you've blocked a reply from me.

You are totally wrong- I do not pay lip service to other people's views. There are some on here that I really disagree with, but I can still discuss their work amicably- ask questions, learn from them. There is one bloke who is doing a project that I have to say I don't like much (good quality, just the subject matter) but I learned some skills from him to use on my own project- which perhaps HE doesn't like. That's life. Not everyone will agree with everyone. Get over it.

" now haven't you got a couple of boxes to scuttle off and open ".

You just can't help yourself can you ? It's clear what you think of people that run, woe betide, " from the box ".
Funnily enough that's not me really - I have loads of detailing bits to tack onto whatever models . Your assumption I run everything straight from the box is incorrect and inaccurate and I'm not sure what led you to it.

PM replied to.

We are going round in circles , Derek.

Like I said in my email, I don't care if you like Lima ( didn't mean to block it but deleted it as my inbox has lots of stuff, but perfectly willing to discuss further )

I don't care if you like minitrix, triang whatever.....what I took issue with is the assumption that everyone else is a lesser modeller if they don't hack Lima about. My layout project is on here, with some pics of slightly modified , re numbered and painted Bachmann. care to show us your stuff.... ?

And as for the idea that once you've added the correct grills, bits and bobs , your Lima costs the same as a super detailed newer model, to me that's like the guy that buys a 1988 Vauxhall nova and spends 1000s adding blue lights and bits from halfords.

But each to their own, enjoy your modelling, that's all I ask.

Thank you for all the responses to my initial thread. As mentioned before I am novice at all this and all advice is greatly received. The summer is coming and I am looking forwards to travelling to west shore in Llandudno in North Wales to be with fellow club members of the North Wales model engineering society to play 3.5" and 5" guage live steam. (I live in West Yorkshire ). Where ever I go to see trains from 4'8-1/2" to z guage the enthusiasm never ceases to amaze me and the enjoyment seen on people's faces is warming.

Today I travelled from Glasgow down the M74 and raced a double Virgin pendalino through Beatock to Carlisle (me 90 train 95) no prises for who got to Carlisle first. If you have never been there the track runs almost parallel for 80odd miles or so through stunning scenery.

Brian

Archived